• Register
  • Help

Topic: Camel Audio Cameleon 5000 v1.6 Released

Share/Bookmark

Talking Cameleon 5000 v1.6 Released

Hi,

Cameleon v1.6 Released
    We've recently released v1.6 of our award winning additive synthesizer Cameleon 5000, which excels at pads and evolving textures. The update adds an improved noise generator with key tracking for brighter, crisper sounds, an improved reverb, key tracking on the filter, improved editing abilities as well as other feature enhancements and bug fixes. Cameleon has been praised by many Hollywood film composers, including Hans Zimmer*, and has won many awards including a Keyboard Keybuy Award, FM Platinum Award and CM Innovation Award.

www.camelaudio.com

Thanks
    Ben

Camel Audio have released version 1.6 of their critically acclaimed additive synthesizer which excels at pads and evolving textures. The update adds an improved noise generator with key tracking for brighter, crisper sounds, an improved reverb, key tracking on the filter, improved editing abilities as well as other feature enhancements and bug fixes.

The update comes with an extra 200 presets, for a total of 800, as well as new harmonic and noise profiles. Camel Audio have also released two new sound banks - TC Blue Space by Tim Conrardy is a collection of pads and textures that take advantage of Cameleons new capabilities. Kriminology by Kriminal is a collection of basses, leads and pads.

Camel Audio have also added a new tutorial to their website entitled 'Phattening your Cameleon' which includes many tips from top preset designers - together with Cameleons new features it will help you to get a thicker sound from Cameleon. The update and new sound banks are all free to registered users, who will be provided with the update via email.

The demo version has also been updated with reduced restrictions (no 15 min timeout, longer gap between silences) and a new set of presets. Therefore there has never been a better time to head over to the Camel Audio website and check out the demo!

New features:

- improved noise generator for brighter, crisper sounds (select LQ for old noise compatibility)
    - key tracking for noise generator (KT above noise on easy page)
    - key tracking for filter (KT above cutoff)
    - improved reverb
    - 200 extra presets included (now over 800, with over 1000 more available from the website)
    - new and improved harmonic and noise profiles, extra images
    - easier harmonic editing (log scale)
    - copy/paste harmonic and noise profiles between voices and presets
    - easy partial detune reset (click on central bar for zero detune)
    - easier to select points
    - bug fixes - soft cut fixed, copy button correctly labeled (Mac), Digital Performer issues solved
    - new demo presets, demo restrictions reduced - 15 min timeout removed, longer btwn. silences
    * A little story: A guy came up to me last NAMM and said he really loved Cameleon. I was chatting to a guy from Steinberg at the time, so I said 'thanks very much' and continued my conversation. After a while I noticed there was a little crowd round him and I noticed his name badge said Hans, but the rest of it was obscured by his jacket - I thought nah - it couldn't be - but then his jacket moved to reveal 'Zimmer' I then went and apologised for not recognising him and had a chat - very nice guy.

Re: Camel Audio Cameleon 5000 v1.6 Released

should be working now forgot the http:// or www. in the tags

Ben,

What I'd really like to see at some point is a better preset management system. I have inundated myself with presets in the dropdown boxes (but the alternative is loading them through the browser window, yuck.) I actually don't have any idea of a better way, but the up and down arrows are cumbersome. Maybe a system like Wusik's? Dunno. I mean, I have like 20 preset catagories staring me in the face when I click on that dropdown. And I imagine I'll have many more when I get these new sounds you have for sale.

Another thing...

Is there any reason why the default patches and preset banks don't respond to program changes? Just curious. Its something I came across while working with Cameleon in Overture 4.

What I'd really like to see at some point is a better preset management system.
    We've actually had a lot of praise for our preset system in Cameleon. For those unfamiliar with it, here's how it works. Presets are files and they can be organised into folders as you wish, using your normal file manangement software. There is a drop down from which you can select a category - eg. basses. There is also a drop down from which you can select the individual preset, and there are also up/down buttons for going through the presets.

Which aspect of it do you find cumbersome? Is it the method for selection of the category or of the preset or both? I'm not acutally familiar with the preset selection system in Wusikstation, and whilst I will certainly take a look in a few weeks, perhaps you could point out what aspect it is which you like?

Is there any reason why the default patches and preset banks don't respond to program changes?
    I haven't had any issues reported to me with program/bank change MIDI messages. Could you double check that you're definitely sending the messages correctly from your host, and if you are, please submit a bug report via the tech support request at the Camel site, and I'll take a look.

Thanks
    Ben

Ben,

I realized that you could copy preset folders into the main preset directory under the Cameleon Data folder. However, I don't think you realize how many folders I have under there. My main problem is with the up and down arrows that I have to use to browse that folder.

What Wusik does is they have directory window that appears and you choose your folder from there and your presets are listed in the VST preset display afterwards.

I guess it doesn't matter. I should just clean up the folder structure and remove those I don't use, but heck, I may need them at some point. (I'll keep telling myself that until I believe it.)

I'm just nitpicky I guess.

I could very well be wrong about the patch changes, but how would Cameleon respond to bank changes? Does it just load the next successive preset folder based on whatever bank change # is sent?

Thanks for your help!

I realized that you could copy preset folders into the main preset directory under the Cameleon Data folder. However, I don't think you realize how many folders I have under there. My main problem is with the up and down arrows that I have to use to browse that folder.
    So you'd prefer to be able to click a button and select the folder from a dialogue box, rather than from a dropdown menu? Do I follow you correctly? Or does the prest list in Wusikstation integrate with your host in a better way than Cameleon?

I guess it doesn't matter. I should just clean up the folder structure and remove those I don't use, but heck, I may need them at some point.
    If you do decide to 'downsize' here's what I suggest. Install the 1.6 full update. This includes the original 600 presets, plus the best 200 presets from those available on the website, and these have been integrated into the same category system. Then install the two new banks Kriminology and TC Blue Space, plus the paid for add on banks if you require them. You can always keep the other presets somewhere else, in case you sometimes want to go looking for something else.

I could very well be wrong about the patch changes, but how would Cameleon respond to bank changes? Does it just load the next successive preset folder based on whatever bank change # is sent?
    The bank change message selects the Bth folder, when listed in the same order as in the drop down for categories. The preset change message selects the Pth preset within that folder. The main thing to watch with this, is that if you add folders and presets, they will not be listed in the same order, so it will select a different preset.

Ben
    CamelSpace | CamelPhat3 | Absynth Sounds | Cameleon 5000 - Platinum Award, Key Buy Award...

Gotcha, about the banks and presets then. I assumed that since I can't see any presets externally in my host for Cameleon that it didn't respond to traditional patch changes. I was wrong.

I just like being able to see all my options up front, which is where the advantage to a browser window would be.

I think I may indeed follow your advice about cleaning up my preset folders. At least for the time being. I need to get back to the default setup anyway as I write an instrument definition for Cameleon for Overture 4. I want my setup to look just like a normal users (without any additions.)

After that's done I can reinstall them a few at a time and see what works best.

Thanks for your time, its good to have you here at Northernsounds, it keeps me from wandering all over asking stupid questions.

Got the bank change working... It's a little different from what I was used to doing.

Bank Select 0 = Bank Change
    Bank Select 32 = 127 always

Program Change = change preset within bank.

But... I can't get it to work unless all this information is entered. So I had to program it to send Bank Select 0, Bank Select 32, and the Program Change # at the same time.

That did it.

Thumbs up Re: Camel Audio Cameleon 5000 v1.6 Released

Wusik system is simple, directory based, each preset is a file. Nice to see that we are getting attention even at our preset-system.

Best Regards, WilliamK

Go Back to forum