• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Who is doing musical theatre?

Share/Bookmark

Who is doing musical theatre?

Whatcha doin' and is it your own or a production of some other's?
    Styxx

Re: Who is doing musical theatre?

Hi, Styxx.

I guess I'm kinda doing it... well, not really.

Last few years I've written incidental music (and arranged some songs) for dramatic plays. All can be revealed on my website, www.SteveGallant.com

Cheerios,
    Stevie G
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Hey, Styxx,

I do musical theater pretty much full time these day, writing/scoring on the average three new shows a year and music directing 4-5 more. I just finished opening a new production of Brecht's "Caucasian Chalk Circle" that I scored and wrote original songs for (sing Brecht's lyrics - hard as hell), I'm opening a new adaptation of "Stellaluna" in Chicago on Oct. 8 while music directing "Grease" in Cincinnati that opens Oct. 22, and then I've got two more new works to write for productions next spring. I still manage to squeeze in some industrial/short film work, but writing musical theater has a tendency to suck up an awful lot of time.
    Careful, man, there's a beverage here!
    www.stevegoers.com

Wow, thanks guys. As you may or may not know I was in musical theatre (music director) for 15 years. It is so nice to read about others and what they are working on. Kind of like being there. I wish you all the luck with your productions!
    Are there any more of you out there into theatre? Even props, lighting, sound, costumes, and what else it takes. I would love to hear more.
    Styxx

I'm taking Acting 1 here in college . . . but that's just about all the theater I'm getting right now! Hopefully more will come in the future . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

At present I am directing a group of juniors aged 8 to 12 years in a production of "Into the Woods Jnr" written by Sondheim and Lapine. This is a Broadway Junior version obtained here in the UK from Josef Weinberger.
    The children are very professional in their attitude - far better than many adults in this respect.
    All in all they are learning various theatrical skills as well as lessons in life skills such as the importance of teamwork and the fact that no cast member is any more important than any other cast member.
    Maybe, just maybe, it will make them better people when they grow up -
    " I Wish"
    Tony

I was part of stage crew in high school for the first three years, but in my senior year we got a new director, and I asked if I could be the musical director, and she said yes! I helped teach music, played all the rehearsals, and worked in the pit for the performances. It was such a great experience. Every year on my winter break I go back and help teach songs and make cuts, and even play with the orchestration a bit sometimes. I'll try to keep on doing it until I graduate masters school. Great fun stuff to do.

See ya,

Brian

Hey Styxx!

I am in the process of completing my first musical and I have a really good crew of writers, actors, and theater folks. It is a story of mine and it is a full on horror musical! Of course there will be some comedy relief, my goal is to push that good old feeling of IMPENDING SENSE OF DOOM on the audience I think it'll be interesting to see how it works out. The first showing will be at my university.
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

I do a lot of musical direction, probably at least 5-6 shows per year, although I'm trying to cut back this year. I also compose incidental music for some of the theatre around here.

I've been considering writing a musical since high school, but I don't have the energy to write all my own lyrics and I've never really found a collaborator who could both keep me inspired and motivated. I've written a lot of musical theatre songs--mostly for musicals I never finished for one reason or another.

My fiancee and I wrote a play with music which ran for 5 weeks in Baltimore last spring. Not a musical per se, but a play with a lot of found percussion (banging on plates, chomping potato chips, a fugue for toothbrushes) and some guitars and wind instruments.

One of these days I'll buckle down and write my musical. I guess I'm not ready for all the fame and fortune it will bring me.

chris.

me i am doin it!
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Go Back to forum