• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New machine - optimize Ram

Share/Bookmark

New machine - optimize Ram

Hi there,

I know there are plenty of resources available to 'tweak' audio DAW's. I don't have any CPU performance issues. Can anyone recommend a reference sheet JUST for optimizing Ram usuage. I have a new XPC machine - 3.4 / 2.0 gig and can only get it to load about 59%(about 939k worth of samples) -- (other machines are about 66-69%) in giga .

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: New machine - optimize Ram

Bump

Any help out there. Thanks in advance.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I think the point of the tweak programs is to eliminate unneeded drains on your resources including uneccesary memory usage. Get into the start menu and clean out everything but the sound card and see if that doesn't give you a little more room. You should be getting 65-66% memory. Cheers, jc

Did you run the memory optimization that's in the Giga settings?

There is a great "sticky" about all this at VSL and if you have the time you will find lots of suggestions that have worked for other people. FWIW I get 65% out of all 3 machines. I might be able to squeeze a tad more, but they are all stable with no crashes, so why bother.

D

What Daryl said. I also wrote a summary of the findings that you'll find at here . If you have more questions, let me know.

Regarding your specific machine, there are things like on-board graphics cards that make a difference, not to mention Nere InCD, but the latter is most likely not your problem or you'd experienced a much lower limit.

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    What Daryl said. I also wrote a summary of the findings that you'll find at here . If you have more questions, let me know.

Regarding your specific machine, there are things like on-board graphics cards that make a difference, not to mention Nere InCD, but the latter is most likely not your problem or you'd experienced a much lower limit.

/Mattias
    Hi there - yes I have run the optimization program that is new to 3.x. I am pretty sure I have removed everything that is not essential (that I dare to do, etc.)

Little stumped at why only 59%???

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Mattias:

You are the source of all info, and I do not know if you are willing to talk to a total RAM -idiot.
    1. You mentioned NERE InCD, I asume it is NERO InCD. In any case, I just deleted it. Thanks.
    2. You guys are talking about a percentage of RAM available for loading instruments? Where can I see this? On the TaskManager my physical memory is 2079467, 1679912 available and system cache is 300348. This is not what you are talking about, I think. I do not see any reference on this window to RAM unless the "available " means just that.
    Could you help, please.
    Forgive me Rob to butt in on your post. ...

thanks

Ted

Ted -

Forgive me if you already know this but ctrl alt delete will give you processes and how much ram is being used. On 2 of my machines I max out at

1150-1200k

(The one in question is only 939K)

Hope that helps.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    1. You mentioned NERE InCD, I asume it is NERO InCD. In any case, I just deleted it. Thanks.
    2. You guys are talking about a percentage of RAM available for loading instruments? Where can I see this? On the TaskManager my physical memory is 2079467, 1679912 available and system cache is 300348. This is not what you are talking about, I think. I do not see any reference on this window to RAM unless the "available " means just that.
    1. It should be Nero InCD of course...
    2. The percentage value can be seen in the status bar in GS. This is not calculated as percentage of installed ram, but rather percentage of a theoretical maximum load. This fact makes the value a bit confusing as we're not close to getting to 100% on a 2GB system. The cause for that is another story altogether... If you want to see an exact memory load value this can be found in the column "mem usage" in task manager for the msg32.exe process.

/Mattias

Go Back to forum