• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: William Coakley's Perfect Piano ... please read

Share/Bookmark

William Coakley's Perfect Piano ... please read

Hi, you guys don't know me and I don't expect you to believe anything I say because I have no reputation here.

I had several run ins with William Coakley and I invite you to read a thread at the Keyboard Magazine online forum (where I am a 'regular'). I only ask that you read the thread in its entirety. The initial post is dated Aug 05 2005.

If you find that thread interesting ... and bizarre, please search more threads at Keyboard using Coakley as the search word for the subject. I am not allowed to post links here, so please take the time to go to Keyboard Magazine's online forum and search for the thread subject ... Perfect Piano V - Is this the ultimate piano? (There is also a link at my web site to that thread which might be quicker to locate. Google my name and click on the Links page and take a quick look.)

I would advise a comfortable chair and a nice glass of wine. Enjoy your reading. I also apologize for this intrusion.

Thanks.

Dave Horne
    Achterstraat 53
    5268 EB Helvoirt
    The Netherlands

+31 (0)411 642699

Re: William Coakley's Perfect Piano ... please read

... a thought. If someone here could post a link to that thread it would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave Horne

I thought you were kidding... then I got through the first page of posts... and the first thing that came to mind was "I need a glass of wine".

This is mind-boggling stuff...
    With each new post my jaw drops lower yet...

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultim...89.html#000000

well I checked out a few things there and hmm that guy Coakley is off his rocker LOL!
    it ok to post this link?
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

OK...
    I've gotten through the first couple of threads starting with Aug 5th.
    My jaw is now GLUED to the floor...

I watched this go down in real time over at the keyboard corner. I still can't belive it. The guys that WC went after, Dave and Carlo, are two of our most important members there. Nice people/Great musicians. Very Strange.

I'm glad this was well received.

I also posted at ..... forum.fantomized.info/index.php?action=show_thread&thread=9717&fid=19&pa ge=1 and my thread was blocked.

To be more specific about all of this - this all became very personal after Coakley modified my posts at his site to make me out to be gay and drunk. I am not making this up.

I'm 55. Had I been 25, those comments might have been devastating.

Feel free to pass those links on. I have repeatedly asked Coakley to publicly apologize for modifying my posts. He hangs up on me ... and have even blocked his web site from my IP.

I have no intention of taking the higher moral ground. I intend to make this cost him a few sales.

Sincerely,

Dave Horne
    Achterstraat 53
    5268 EB Helvoirt
    The Netherlands

+31 (0)411 642699

it's really crazy when developers become this personal, I mean this is pretty wild stuff!!!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Hi Dave,
    In case you are feeling you are the only one that is getting his "attention", read the posts below.
    Posted by marino on 08-13-2005 09:41 PM:
    william coakley (no replies please)

As some of you might know by now, sound developer William Coakley has launched a series of personal attacks on me, based on slander and false accusations. He did so, apparently, because I said on this forum that I didn't like his vol.III of piano samples for the Kurzweil format, which I have bought a few years ago. Notice that I mentioned my dislike of Coakley sounds in a totally different context - then mr. Coakley stepped in, with an helpful enough attitude at first, then with increasing aggressivity. I'm not the only one - by a long shot - who has been insulted by mr. Coakley on this forum and on KC in his brief appearance, but the extent of his insinuations on me has been beyond any border of decency. In particular, he has accused me to use pirate copies of his soundware, and of being a troll, sent by his competitors to denigrate his piano samples. He knows for a fact that all those statements are false, so he's lying with the knowledge of doing so.

How do you protect yourself from this kind of thing? I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of an international legal action (I live in Italy), so for now, I chose to resort to a 'soft' approach: I'll try to reconstruct the facts as objectively as possible in this thread, so I could have a single URL to link for the whole story, should I need to defend myself from mr. Coakley's slander.

The thread will need multiple posts, because it is rather long. PLEASE DON'T POST REPLIES TO THIS THREAD. Its only purpose is to have a quick reference for linking.

Thanks a lot for your collaboration - and while I'm at it, special thanks to everybody who cared to show their support in this unpleasant situation. __________________________________________________

It all started rather innocently, in the thread called "OT: Greatest mistake of your life". Here's my first post on that thread (the relevant part is at the end):

My life has not been exactly linear, or easy - but I think I would take the same decisions again if given the chance under the same circumstances - including leaving the Conservatory before graduating, or refusing a few high-profile jobs. Except maybe...

1) My biggest regret is not having pushed my musical career toward jazz more than I did. The point is that I enjoy doing different things, like composing or playing rock on big stages - plus, I've had a couple of ex-wives who have pushed me to do more lucrative things... The result is that now, I'm proficient at different things, but I'm fronting a kind of identity crisis.

2) Gear-wise, I have just a few regrets: Having sold my Rhodes Chroma/Apple IIe system, not having kept the Minimoog, having invested $400 in the Coackley "Perfect Piano" (vol.III) ,which I've found unplayable and never used....

Another member asked me to elaborate, which I did:

quote:

Originally posted by keyman_sam
    Marino,

why do u say the Coakley piano is not gud?

I havent tried it, but there are threads in the fantomized forum on how the Coakley is the best piano available for romplers.

I don't want to derange the thread, but here's a quick explanation:

I bought vol.III for the Kurzweil. I found the midrange and bass registers very harsh and nasal, though clean, and with a very limited dynamic range. The VAST programming was non-existent, so I tried for weeks to come out with VAST filtering to give the basic sound some warmth and expression... I tried very hard to like it, because I read all those good comments and reviews... I tried to use the Coakley piano on a number of projects, but it always came up horrible-sounding to my ears, even with my VAST programming. I also played it for several musicians friends, and they *all* agreed with me. I also thought that maybe I got a faulty CD-Rom... but the samples were very clean, so there was no reason to believe that - it was just ugly-sounding to my ears. I was even on the phone with William Coakley once, and he's a very nice guy; he was quite surprised that I didn't like his piano.

Now, during all this time I have had Mike Martin's KeySolutions CD-Rom for the Kurzweil, which has two different pianos (Steinway D and Yamaha, both very good), exceptional VAST programming, and quite a lot of other sounds - and it costed me less than a third of the Coakley piano. I *always* ended up using the Keysolution pianos for my projects; the Coakley piano is still sitting unused.

Then, William Coakley stepped in:

Marino
    If you thought the disk was defective why didn't you notify me about it?

And why didn't I ever hear about all your EQ problem and incompatibility with VAST which couldn't be the case if you have a disk of mine? And if that disk is really sitting around... let's get it working for you like it has for so many others who are successfully using it. I will need the serial number and the code on the disk and we can get started on figuring out your post.

Thanks

William
    Last edited by William Coakley on 08-10-2005 at 01:13 AM

Coakley edited his post later to add the second paragraph, hence two successive answers from me:

Re: Marino
    quote:

Originally posted by William Coakley
    What serial number is your Kurzweil disk and if it's defective why didn't you notify me?

Thanks

William

William,

my serial number for the Kurzweil version of vol.III is 954, as written on the disk itself. As I said in my post, I *don't* think it's defective - it was just a thought which went thru my my mind for a while. But the samples are very clean, with no sign of distortion or other artifacts, so I don't think they're damaged; it's just that for the needs of my music, I've found those samples to be of little use. Please understand that I respect your hard work, and I admire how you make yourself costantly available to your customers; this is rarely seen in the music industry. But since I found no use for my purchase, and this is a thread about making mistakes, I have included that as a purchase mistake.

You have called me by phone once, to notify me about the imminent release of vol.IV, and we talked a little bit about my disliking of vol.III (with my rather limited spoken English). You even offered to have some Kurzweil programming made, in order to obtain a warmer sound. But since I am a competent Kurz programmer already, I have tried to do it myself. I've put a lot of work on it; in the end, however, I've always used other samples, especially Keysolutions, in my music. I found the Keysolutions pianos wery well suited to my playing, and I couldn't help noticing that the price/performance ratio for the Keysolution disk was really good (I paid about $130 for it, when it was a current item). In addition to two excellent pianos with
    *lots* of variations, it contains a lot of other material, all very high-quality and with great VAST programming.

Once again, William, I have no intention to bash a product which is the result of long and hard work just for the sake of it - especially when I hear that others like it a lot. I have just expressed my honest opinion, which was confirmed by several other musicians. The hard truth is that I've never found any use for vol. III in my music in the few years that I've had it. I guess that tastes in sound are highly individual, and piano sounds are the most individual of all...

William - I've noticed that you have edited your post.
    To be clear, I've had no 'EQ problem' with your volume III, nor I found that it was 'incompatible with VAST'; it loaded perfectly on the Kurz. I just said that on the disk, there was
    *no* VAST programming to help out dynamics and expressive playing of the piano sound.

BTW - Again, I appreciate your being around.

(continued on next post on this thread)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by marino on 08-13-2005 09:55 PM:

Here we go. Coakley next intervention:

CARLO
    I need the code on the disk ring.

There is something terribly wrong somewhere. I know my disks. From the description of the problems in your post I can only conclude that you have a very defective disk.

The Volume III disk especially in the Kurzweil was the most popular piano I ever sold. It's never received a single complaint from anyone including you. You should never have to fool with the programming... that also suggests a problem in your setup or a very defective disk. I've never been asked a single time for a special adjustment to a patch for the Kurzweil format.

The dynamics problem also points to a problem with your setup or a very defective disk. The dynamics worked seamlessly for groups large and small who've used it for both live play, studio tracks and even Phantom of the Opera in live performance in New York. Believe me when I say, I know something is wrong with your setup or there's a very defective disk. And when I call customers to announce a new product, I don't have time to solve problems that have never been brought to my attention for years.

That piano is still widely used every day with great success and that being said... I have a new Volume V which I would like you to hear on my site. But before you consider buying it... let's find the problem that has prevented you from obtaining the results others have gotten from your Volume III.

William

Please notice that William addressed me as Carlo (my real name) in the previous post. My reply:

Re: CARLO
    quote:

I need the code on the disk ring.

Code on the disk ring? You mean the inside ring? It's not very readable, but it looks like 0101-3071-3393. Also, 'Kodak CDR-74'.

There is something terribly wrong somewhere. I know my disks. From the description of the problems in your post I can only conclude that you have a very defective disk.

I take your word for it. I can only restate that the samples sound clean and clear - it's just that their timbre comes out nasal and static, especially in the middle/bass register. This is my subjective opinion, of course.

The Volume III disk especially in the Kurzweil was the most popular piano I ever sold. It's never received a single complaint from anyone including you. You should never have to fool with the programming... that also suggests a problem in your setup or a very defective disk. I've never been asked a single time for a special adjustment to a patch for the Kurzweil format.

With all due respect, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my setup. I've had several Kurzweils during these years; currently, I use two K2000s, and the vol.III disk sounds identical on both. Also, I have bought *dozens* of other sample disks for the Kurz, and to my knowledge, I have never had a problem with samples coming out 'wrong' in any way.

Also, I'd like to set the record straight in that I never asked you to come up with some Kurzweil programming. 'You' have offered that to me instead (unless my limited knowledge of English has led me to misunderstand!), and although I declined because I had done it myself already, I actually thought it was a very generous and honest move from your part.

The dynamics problem also points to a problem with your setup or a very defective disk. The dynamics worked seamlessly for groups large and small who've used it for both live play, studio tracks and even Phantom of the Opera in live performance in New York. Believe me when I say, I know something is wrong with your setup or there's a very defective disk. And when I call customers to announce a new product, I don't have time to solve problems that have never been brought to my attention for years.

I understand that. But while I'd love to find out if my vol.III disk is defective in any way (I know of no other who owns it, so I can't make comparisons), I'm absolutely not trying to make a big deal about this whole matter. It can happen with software, and especially with soundware; I've purchased a piano sample, basing my judgement on a few demos and some reviews, and when it showed up at my place, I discovered that it was not for me. Yeah, it's disappointing (it was quite an expense at the time)- but it happens, and there's no reason to keep complaining, especially after a few years. It just happened that thinking about purchase mistakes, I have remembered that.

That piano is still widely used every day with great success

I'm sure that's true. But what else can I say?

and that being said... I have a new Volume V which I would like you to hear on my site.

I've downloaded the demos already, and among other things, I'm very glad that this time, you included more solo piano pieces.

But before you consider buying it... let's find the problem that has prevented you from obtaining the results others have gotten from your Volume III. William

Again: At this point, I'm quite curious to find out if I've dealt with a defective disk all these years... And again, I really appreciate your being so available to respond to musicians. But even if my disk turns out to be OK, no big drama - I guess we could just agree to disagree about timbre and playability in piano sounds. Thanks once again for your time.

Thing started getting ugly with William's successive post:

MARINO
    Nasal and static..? Not a chance. I have an idea tho. I do acoustic work as well... especially tuning rooms for mastering. Why don't you send me some pics of your work area and speakers and let's start there. If nothing else it will probably improve your listening pleasure.

The patches I offer are custom and I'm quite sure your programming would be unable to equal their effectiveness since I have had the painful experience of getting to know every sample in the piano. Also, its a very easy thing to get rid of a nasal sound using the Kurzweil EQ. I have no idea what you've done to the programming but I'm absolutely certain that it wasn't at all necessary. I would suggest erasing all the programs in that bank and reload. Reloading and leaving the patches in there will do no good.

What bothers me about this is that you waited five years and probably have spent most of that time whining about something that no other owner has ever mentioned. While you're at it, check out the number 7 demo on my site... that's the piano you're complaining about as it is in the Fantom.

William

my reply to this:

Re: MARINO
    quote:

Nasal and static..? Not a chance. I have an idea tho. I do acoustic work as well... especially tuning rooms for mastering. Why don't you send me some pics of your work area and speakers and let's start there. If nothing else it will probably improve your listening pleasure.

Thanks for the offer, but as I often work in different studios, I've had the chance (at the time) to hear vol.III in several listening environments, so I'm pretty sure of my own judgement. Plus, I've been a professional musician and arranger for 30 years, so I think that by now, I know what I like and what I don't pretty well.

The patches I offer are custom and I'm quite sure your programming would be unable to equal their effectiveness since I have had the painful experience of getting to know every sample in the piano. Also, its a very easy thing to get rid of a nasal sound using the Kurzweil EQ. I have no idea what you've done to the programming but I'm absolutely certain that it wasn't at all necessary. I would suggest erasing all the programs in that bank and reload. Reloading and leaving the patches in there will do no good.

Frankly, I'm asking myself how you can be so certain of something you don't know... I don't want to sound harsh, but my VAST programming helped quite a bit in making your samples more playable for my needs. I'm a long-time programmer; some of my sounds were sold commercially; I've done sound designing and consulting work for a few manufacturers; some of my gigs involve mainly synth programming and sound design.

What bothers me about this is that you waited five years and probably have spent most of that time whining about something that no other owner has ever mentioned.

"Probably?" Sorry, William, you're more wrong than ever here. You just don't know me at all, how can you say that? Whining is not my style. Just because I didn't like some sound that you have made, that's making me a whiner?

While you're at it, check out the number 7 demo on my site... that's the piano you're complaining about as it is in the Fantom.

I did already. And once again - I'M NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT ANYTHING. I just stated, in my first post in this thread, that I had made a wrong purchase, and I still think that's been the case. Someone else asked me to elaborate, which I did. Then you stepped in. As I repeatedly said, I had no intention of making a big deal about my dislike of vol.III - and while I appreciate your being available to customers, I'm not sure that I appreciate the insinuating tone of your last post. You seem to have an hard time accepting that someone can not like your sounds. I'd suggest to stop deranging this thread and leave it at this.

(continued)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted by marino on 08-13-2005 11:03 PM:

Things went out of control from here. William Coakley stopped posting at KSS. Next thing I know, he accused me of using pirated copies of his sounds, both in private communication with members and on his own site. I was unaware of this, till member Keyman Sam posted the info here. From Coakley's site (in response to a member who asked him for a comment about our discussion here, saying I was an expert musician and a respected member):

The Volume III critics

Well, at least this is entertaining. : )

These are the "well respected" and "experienced" sources:

After visiting these sites I found a guy who is using my ZR piano card in a drum machine... and then complains that the piano didn't sound right. Another who complained that the piano wasn't compatible with Kurzweil (VAST) programming which is likely due to a pirated copy. We have someone who says he never liked the piano and yet never complained about it after spending $400. We have another who claims to have "a few" of my pianos who hasn't presented a serial number yet.

Anyway, all this has added my presence there which is a good thing.

William 11 Aug 2005 22:14

my response here:

quote:

Originally posted by keyman_sam
    I told Mr.William that marino was a well-respected member of the forum. He said some stuff about these respected members including saying that Marino might be using a pirated copy.

quote:

Originally posted by Unfed
    hehe, well Marino stating that the inner spine of his disc read 'Kodak CD-R' had me thinking that as well. that just didn't sound right...

OK, this is too much.

William Coakley knows very well that I *bought* vol.III of his so-called 'Perfect Piano' for the Kurzweil, and that I paid $400
    + shipping + taxes for it. He knows, because once I gave him the
    serial number on the other thread, he addressed me with my real name. My name and address are in his database, and *he* has called me at home once, to notify that vol. IV was about to be released. Spreading this kind of false accusation is pure and simple slander from his part, because he know for sure that it's not true.

I'm not using pirated soundware, period. The disk has 'Kodak CD-R' on it because *that's the disk that William sent to me*, so that's the kind of disk that he uses to send his soundware to his customers. It has his wonderful signature over it, plus my own name, serial number, and 'Kurzweil v III'. All of this is handwritten on the disk itself, and no cover of any kind - he didn't bother to have something printed.

William Coakley: You've left me speechless with this kind of mean behaviour. Slander is the worse thing you can do to someone you don't even know - and you didn't even have the guts to say that on my own face. You're acting like a spoiled 13-year old; in trying to damage my reputation with false accusations, you're only damaging your own. Be sure that I'll be careful to spread this information all over the net, unless you act very quickly and post a circumstantiated apology.

Many members had expressed their support to me on this matter already, and others did at this point. I'll only quote moderator/administrator Dave Bryce:

Dave Bryce
    Administrator

quote:

Originally posted by orangefunk
    I know from Marino's posts over the years he's a pretty level headed guy who knows what he is talking about...

+100

Marino is one of the most talented and knowledgeable musicians that I have had the pleasure of being associated with, and is quite knowledeable and erxperienced regarding synth programming
    - especially the VAST engine. I have many samples of his work; and, using that as an indicator, I believe he has quite a discerning and well-trained ear. As you may or may not know, acoustic piano is his axe of choice...

Mr. Coakley - why do you not allow for the possibility that there are poeple who just don't care for your work? Do you just automatically assume that anyone who doesn't care for your work just doesn't know what they're talking about? Don't you understand that artistic taste is extremely subjective?

Additionally, in the years I have been associated withg Carlo, I have never known him to be a whiner, and I find it sad that you feel a need to continue to disparage people on these forums. I request that you please stop doing so.

dB

People had started posting on Coakley's forum at this point, bewildered, as was I, by his behaviour. In response to one such member, Coakley launched another false accusation from his site:

He is what the industry calls a "troll" or "astroturfer" an unidentifiable handle who aliases as a dissatisfied customer for purposes of discrediting a competitors product. It's very common and they often operate in teams especially in publisher based forums where the obligation to protect advertisers is clearly understood by moderators and admins who are hired for that purpose. One thing is certain, that piano satisfied the most demanding artists world wide and there's no way this guy is flying straight and level.

William 12 Aug 2005 00:19

Of course, mr. Coakley knows very well that I cannot be considered an 'unidentifiable handle', because he knows my complete nome, address and phone number. And everybody both at KC and KSS know that I'm a musician, and I don't work for any manufacturer. As more people posted on his own forum about this, William Coakley started erasing their posts. Here's an example:

OH MY GOD, Mr. Coakley

What in the world has possessed you? Have you no shame? Is you situation so bleak and desperate that you now resort to cutting and pasting comments from other fora, and attacking and SLANDERING your own customers?

If this Marino were a troll or astroturfer as you claim, he certainly was a very deep cover one. Hmm. He posted in various fora for 4 years, as long a time as he had your Perfect Piano Vol. III for Kurzweil. You gave yourself away by asking this Marino for his disk serial number, after which you addressed him by his given name, Carlo:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com...51&pagenumber=4

I am not one to waste my time in judgment of my fellow man. In your case, this once, I will by necessity make an exception. You have simply gone too far. This goes beyond the pale of any yardstick of decency.

What has this man done to you to incur such vile vitriol? Could you not have been the magnanimous fellow and offered to send him a replacement disk, to remove any doubt that the disk might have been defective? More so because he did not ask for it? Could you not bear to hear that one did not find your work personally resonant? Is that one opinion so enormously vexing that you will sacrifice your professional reputation, and good name, to descry it?

Be mindful: it take 20 years to make a reputation, and 2 weeks to ruin it. You are behaving as a rogue elephant. Pray you do not share the fate of such animals.

Repent and desist. There is yet time to salvage this fiasco...but the time is nigh.

This does not show you in a good light:

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/...014927/p/1.html

Please, if not for yourself, then for those people who remember you as a pioneer of piano sampling, whose work speaks to the highest levels of artistry and craftsmanship, those people for whom you, sir, are a hero. If not for yourself, then please for them, get a grip.

If you cannot think clearly on this, no matter. It is your heart that must speak. Here you will have to use every skill you ever developed as a critical listener.

Godspeed.

That thread was erased. More KC and KSS members posted on Coakley's site to show their support to me, and their posts were erased and their names banned.

I'll wait a few days, then it's my intention to contact William Coakley about all this. I'll keep you posted on this thread. Thanks a lot everybody for your patience!

Posted by marino on 08-17-2005 09:03 PM:

Back in town after a series of gigs, I've uploaded a picture of my original copy of the Coakley vol.III piano, for everyone to see. Here's the link:

http://www.carlomezzanotte.com/foto/...-original2.jpg

I hope this will leave no doubt. Unfortunately, I've also found that Coakley didn't stop: A number of members from here and KC have tried to post on his site about this whole matter, but Coakley has *erased* their posts every time, or edited them so they say "I'm gay", or other things at that level of class.
    (!!!)
    Then, he proceeded to *ban* them from his 'forum', to prevent them from posting again.

What's more, he has launched another indiscriminate, ridiculous accusation on me from his site: He's now saying that in auditioning his piano, I was on the wrong MIDI channel, so I was hearing the stock piano on the Kurzweil K2000 - and he's saying that I found his sounds so harsh for this reason !!!! Here's his unedited post:

Since this piano has come under some criticism lately, I thought I’d post this hastily prepared and unedited demo.

Here’s the piano in question using the stock first patch and recorded analog outputs to an old Mackie board. You are hearing the piano raw without any reverb, any effects, any EQ. Keep in mind, this is my K2000s which only has 12 stereo voices so not too many notes can sustain at a time. In fact, you can hear them dropping out as the stealing algorithm begins trying to grab them in one part of the piece. The piano sounds close because there’s no ambience in the samples. The criticism was:

“I found the midrange and bass registers very harsh and nasal, though clean, and with a very limited dynamic range. The VAST programming was non-existent, … it always came up horrible-sounding to my ears, even with my VAST programming. I also played it for several musicians friends, and they *all* agreed with me - it was just ugly-sounding to my ears.”

The claim of “no” or “non-existent” VAST programming can only be attributed to one thing... piracy. Every disk I sold was copied from a master, so it would be impossible for anyone to have an original Coakley Kurzweil disk that didn’t have the VAST programming. I repeat… impossible. Piracy and theft take a number of forms. Sometimes, as might be the case here, samples are hacked from one format… say an Ensonic disk and the programming was left behind because it was of no use to the Kurzweil. So the pirated disk only has the samples on it but no programming.

As for the nasal, harsh, ugly sound… nasal comes to mind. As I was setting up my old K2000s I was fumbling around with channels on my controller and I found this nasal sounding piano that was harsh and not a very pleasing sound. It was the stock Kurzweil piano! One more channel press and I was at my piano which you hear in the demo. It may be that this person was unaware that they were on the wrong channel which is easy for someone new to midi. And he would swear as he looked at the patch in the display… that he was playing my piano but he wasn’t. The efforts of this individual to program the VAST engine to “make a warmer sound” would also follow from having a pirated disk.

These are the only two possible explanations I can offer for this criticism so the rest is up to you …have a listen and enjoy.

William Coakley

I tried to post an answer, but he has banned my IP or something, so I wasn't able to post. This is not surprising, since he has banned and/or insulted everyone who tried to post a few word in my favor there. (Nice to attack people who can't respond, uh,
    William?) So I'll post a brief respose here:

Mr. Coakley, I resent to be forced by you to make clear that I've been programming sounds since before MIDI was born, and that I've dealt with MIDI since its inception. This particular evolution of your slander deserves only one definition: Ridiculous. It's your piano which I found harsh, and nothing else.

About your reiterated accusation of using cracked soundware, follow the link above - even though you don't need to, right? You *knew* from the beginning that I was one of your customers, and that you were lying.

However, now that I've had the time to check, I'd like to make a
    precisation: The Coakley disk does contain a little Kurzweil programming. In most banks, this is in the form of one-block simple filtering, with simple enveloping. On a few banks, this is also coupled with an highpass or some EQ. This is hardly VAST programming in my book. Nonetheless, 'non-existent' was maybe too strong a word; maybe 'bare minimum' would be more appropriate. So my recollection of all those big 'None' on VAST algorithms was about 'just' the first two of the three programmable VAST blocks. Again, I invite mr. Coakley to check the KeySolutions CD-Rom for the Kurzweil, to check what can be done with deep VAST programming for increasing playability of piano sounds. (In addition, I find the KeySolution samples excellent to start with)

I'll write an email to WIlliam Coakley shortly, and I'll post it here. My future moves will depend on Coakley's response (or lack of it).

Thanks again for your attention!

Posted by Umbra on 08-17-2005 09:45 PM:

beep

Music at:
    http://www.cleosoft.com/

Posted by marino on 08-18-2005 05:06 PM:

Before adding the last updates, a message for Dave Bryce
    (moderator): Dave, I know that you've asked to let this matter slip away. However, since I started this thread just for archiving and linking purposes, and since I'm personally involved in mr. Coakley accusations, I'd like to be able to add the last (I hope) couple of updates of this absurd story. I have asked everybody to avoid posting replies, so it won't be on the top for long. Thanks for understanding!

OK, so I've sent an email to William Coakley. You'll find it below, in the next post. But before I could send it, he has posted the following on his site:

APOLOGY

This issue really began a few years ago when an editor for a leading trade magazine gave me a tip that someone or some people had been attempting to discredit my pianos. Considering it harmless and not finding anything right away on the net… I forgot about it until recently when I was directed to a publisher based forum. I couldn’t figure out why someone was saying my Volume III piano was “horrible, ugly, harsh, nasal sounding” and that “all agreed” with him on his characterization of it. He said there was “no (VAST) programming” on the disk which wouldn’t be the case if it was one of my disks… so the obvious issue of piracy was introduced by his own statement and got my quick attention.

As most of you readers already know, his description of my pianos as horrible, ugly sounding and unusable just doesn’t fit with what I know from all my users including philharmonic conductors, TV producers, film score writers, Lenny Kravitz, on and on. Later, it became apparent that he was trying to backpedal this characterization of the piano by summarizing the issue saying… it’s just a matter of personal preference which apparently I didn’t understand. I do understand preference and I know the difference between that and someone deliberately discrediting my product. If he bought the disk based on the demo he heard… then by saying the piano was horrible, he meant I had deceived him. He suggested the piano demo had been rigged when he said that the biggest mistake of his life was listening to a Coakley demo and then buying the product. That’s a pretty dramatic statement. So now we definitely don’t have someone who just happened to end up preferring another sound. We have someone who is saying I deceived him and sold him an inferior product.

So, who continues to be behind the name on the screen and why were things being said about my product that weren’t true? What did this person have to gain? As always on the internet, it’s impossible to know who you’re really dealing with. Hackers hide behind screens ready to command a legion of names (handles) at their fingertips. When they want to manipulate opinion or appear convincing, they use their “parrot handles” in the forum and try to make it appear that a large consensus of opinion has been represented when in fact its only one or two individuals. They can inhabit more than one forum simultaneously and they can quickly muster a barrage of support by bringing in the parrot aliases (handles) to authenticate anything they wish. It gives them a sense of power to command such virtual legions. It’s used to manipulate opinion and in the end, a few are affected but the great majority just don’t pay much attention. So I will refrain from using names since I’ve always been sensitive to issues of customer privacy and it must be said that the real individuals with those names may or may not have had anything to do with all of this.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The row, as the English call it, can be best understood in terms of three categories.

First, is a gentleman (referred to above) who claims to be a well known sound designer – competitor; a fact which was unknown to me at the time of purchase. He bought a disk from me over four years ago and was a satisfied customer when I called after the sale. A couple of years ago when I was busy calling customers to announce a new product …he expressed some reservations. So I took the time to try and find out what was going on. I asked to hear the piano but he said the phone couldn’t reach into the studio. I asked for pictures of his setup and he didn’t have a camera nor could he borrow one. I requested audio files which he agreed to send but never sent anything. I offered the possibility of a custom patch and that was quickly dismissed as he claimed that he could correct the problem himself. To this day, he has refused my request to send audio files, pictures or to cooperate in any way. And yet he keeps on discrediting my product …again raising the issue of intent.

Now he dismisses the whole issue by saying it was just a case of personal preference and that I didn’t understand that. I fully understand personal preference but that doesn’t explain hanging out in a forum characterizing my pianos as “nasal, harsh, ugly and horrible sounding.” And personal preference doesn’t cover his refusal to enter into any good faith effort to resolve whatever problem he thinks he has. In addition, he made a number of statements saying there was “no” or “non-existent” VAST programming (programming required to hear the sound) on the disk which would be impossible unless he had a bootlegged or extremely defective disk. Again, I was prevented from being able to determine what if any problem really existed and he still refused to cooperate. If he is the original purchaser I sold the disk to and he says there is no programming on the disk then he is not being truthful or doesn’t really know. But as most of you know and certainly those who bought the disk know… there is plenty of programming on it. The likelihood of a disk error knocking out all the VAST programming is impossible. Yet, if he wishes to send me the disk, I will post a demo of the piano from that disk for all to compare to the demo I’ve already posted in my forum.

Second, I discovered someone who gained some legitimacy for himself by complimenting my work in a very flattering way but then went on to say, in effect, that I didn’t have anything larger than 32 megs that was competitive. He couldn’t produce any serial numbers for the “few” pianos he said he had. A later report confirms an admission of pirating. He claimed the right to use pirated disks since he alleges he didn’t receive the license personally and therefore felt entitled to do as he wished. Neither the moderators nor the administrators admonished the thief. Another gentleman who claimed my “14 meg piano” didn’t sound very good and needed his programming touch to fix the attacks had taken an Emu card produced for keyboards with my piano in it and had plugged it into a drum machine. Enough said about that.

Thirdly, I discovered a person who turns out to be a hacker going by a name that was the most respected individual in this forum, the favorite of all the administrators and moderators with his own host of supporters and was the very close friend of category one above. He decided last Sunday night, to hack into my site with a group of IPs and handles at his disposal. Suddenly, my forum was filled with foul and inappropriate language which was deleted. After hours of being unable to secure his sacred posts, this gentleman made the fatal error of earning himself an FBI record as a foreign national making a threat against an American citizen. He placed his calls in the middle of the night between midnight and 2 AM and the recordings were forwarded to the publisher controlling the forum. The publisher has issued no official statement yet as to the future participation of this individual in the forum.

After all is said and done here, I feel that this issue should be laid to rest by this individual and his friend making a public apology on the following websites (to be listed), to me on this site and to every individual they have misled.

To all those in that forum who have pirated disks of my pianos... your claim of not having a license agreement because you never received it means you have a bootlegged disk and you are not outside Federal Law just because you never read the license agreement. You must provide proof that you have destroyed your bootlegged disks or send them to me. You must cease and desist from any further pirating of my intellectual property. Once this is accomplished and apologies made, I will return to making the world a more beautiful place… one piano at a time.

William Coakley

Please don't ask me to explain this.... I have copied it here because it contains several references to me, and to who mr. Coakley 'thinks' I am.... But aside from the fact that it's not much of an apology to anyone, the fact that he's confusing various people's identities, and he's mixing it all with FBI and assorted fantasies, makes for a sad interpretation of mr. Coakley's present state.

Posted by marino on 08-18-2005 05:14 PM:

Finally, here's my email to William Coakley. There are some repetitions from my previous comments in this thread, because I wanted to give him a somewhat complete picture...

Mr. Coakley,

Marino from Rome here. I’m writing in a (last?) attempt to settle our divergences. It’s hard for me to write to you after having been hit so hard and indiscriminately, but I’ll try. Don’t expect me to be too friendly, however.

First of all, I invite you to follow this link:

http://www.carlomezzanotte.com/foto/...-original2.jpg

It’s a very clear picture of the original disk of vol.III which you have sent me. I know very well that you don’t need to see it to know that I bought that disk from you; this is just to inform you that this picture is now online, as a definitive proof that your accusation on me about piracy is false. I have also included the link in a thread at Harmony Central/KSS, where I have faithfully collected all relevant steps of this rather sad story.

As a reminder:

- You have accused me in multiple occasion to use pirated soundware, knowing that it was not true. I’ve posted my serial number, after which you have recognized my name. So you knew from the beginning that I was one of your customers. You have lied with the knowledge of doing so.

- You have accused me of being sent by some competitor, disguising under an ‘unrecognizable handle’ in order to bash your products. In this case, too, you knew for a fact that it wasn’t true, as you have my name, address and phone number in your database. And if you had cared to browse the HC/KSS forum or the KC forum a little bit before breaking into them to present your vol.V, you would have known for sure that I’m not a troll of any kind.

- Then, you have tried to ridicule me by saying that I didn’t know what I was doing with MIDI, and was listening to the stock K2000 piano on the wrong MIDI channel! This is amazingly disingenuous on your part. Who do you think will buy this silliness? I’ve been programming synths since before MIDI was born, and I’ve dealt with MIDI since the beginning. On the same occasion, you have reiterated your false accusation of using pirated software.

- You have erased or edited any message on your own forum which tried to say something about it. Bad taste aside (‘I am gay…’), isn’t it a bit too easy to attack someone who can’t respond?

- Also, you have tried to confuse the issue by repeating terms and concepts which I had clarified already. I had never said that your sounds were ‘incompatible with VAST’, for example – but after I’ve responded to that, you have restated it on your forum, in order to reinforce the idea that I was using pirated software and that I didn’t know what I was doing.

- If you also think that all this started from a thread at KSS where I made just a passing comment about your vol.III in a completely different context, I invite you to consider in what kind of absurdity you’ve led this thing – and let me add, I believe it ended up entirely at your own detriment.

In an attempt to be friendly, I’ll say one thing: The term ‘non-existent’, referred to the VAST programming on vol.III, was maybe too strong. Now that I've had the time to check, there is some filtering and simple enveloping. But the programming is minimal for sure. For an example of what can be done with VAST in order to improve the playability of piano sounds, I once again invite you to check the KeySolutions CD-Rom for the Kurzweil. I’ve borrowed a few tricks from there in my attempts to write VAST programs for your samples, and this improved the situation quite a bit, for my needs at least.

With the occasion, I also want to reaffirm that I have nothing to do with KeySolution’s developer (that’s Mike Martin, who worked for Kurzweil at the time and is now with Yamaha), nor with any other manufacturer.

William: I invite you to reconcile with the fact that I simply bought your sounds, I’m a pro, I know what I’m doing, and I just DIDN’T LIKE THEM. This is probably not pleasant to hear; but it’s just the truth. As I already said, it wasn’t my intention to make a big deal of it; you’re the one who created this whole situation.

I understand that one tries to defend his business. But doing so by employing deliberate slander and this kind of false accusation is beyond any decent behavior. You are not the only one with a reputation to defend; I happen to have one too. I am a freelance musician/composer/arranger, and my work depends on reputation. By spreading the false information that I’m using pirated sounds, plus all the other things (see above), you’re causing me veritable damage.

So I’d like to inform you that I’m about to do two things… but before saying more, or doing anything, I want to make an attempt to return to a reasonable level of civility. I invite you to REMOVE all references to me and all false accusations from your site. I’m holding out an hand to you here, because I’m tired of all this and I have better things to do with my life than responding to this kind of attack. I don’t even ask for apologies or corrections; you delete all references (and I mean all), and all is forgotten. Yes, I’m saying that; it’s all I need.

In case your response would be negative, or if you just aren’t going to do anything, I’ll do two things:

1) I’ll go to all music forums known and unknown to me on the net, and post a link to the thread at KSS where I’ve summed up all relevant bit of this, let’s call it, discussion. It’s a very complete and objective reconstruction of the facts, including all your accusations both from the forums and your own site, the link to the picture of my copy of vol.III, etc.. - I’ll let the musicians around the world to judge for themselves. I don’t like doing it, but how else one can protect himself from internet slander.

2) I’m also considering taking legal action. After all, this is slander, internet or not, and I think I have plenty of proof and witness. I’ve already talked about this with a friend lawyer who lives in Los Angeles, and in a few days I will talk with my Italian lawyer. I really don’t want to resort to this, and of course, I’d rather avoid the hassles connected with it; but at the same time, I’m not going to just ‘let it go’ this kind of thing.

I invite you, again, to please consider my offer.
    I’m waiting for some kind of response or action.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Carlo Mezzanotte

I think my position is clear. I'm going to wait a few days, then I'll be back for a (hopefully) last update. Again, thanks a lot for your patience!

Posted by marino on 08-19-2005 03:01 AM:

There are news, and they aren't good. As his only respose (for
    now) to my email, William Coakley has chosen to extrapolate the only small fragment where I made a step toward him. It was an attempt to be friendly - but he chose to use this fragment for another tirade on his own site, in great evidence. No sign of response to the main body of my message! And he has repeated that he wants an apology from me! Here's the complete text:

Here is a statement by the gentlemen concerned:

“The term ‘non-existent’, referred to the VAST programming on vol.III, was maybe too strong. Now that I've had the time to check, there is some filtering and simple enveloping. But the programming is minimal for sure.”

This is a tacit admission of making a false and misleading statement which lies at the foundation of this row.

NOW THAT HE CHECKED …he admits there IS programming when he previously said “NO” programming existed. You can’t have it both ways.

If he cared about accuracy concerning my product or if he had an entry-level knowledge of synthesizers, he would never have unequivocally stated and then re-confirmed that there was no programming on the disk. And, his insistence that no programming existed would provoke the same response from any developer who knows his product. I made it very clear all along… THAT HE COULD NOT HAVE A DISK OF MINE WITHOUT PROGRAMMING ON IT.

He attempts to marginalize his mistake by suggesting that there just wasn’t… ENOUGH programming. This further confirms he has no familiarity with how to program a piano. Pianos don’t require complex enveloping because they have a natural envelope built in! My pianos were designed so they could easily work in any synthesizer architecture. That design made it possible to introduce the same piano in different formats with simple but effective programming which saved time and improved performance. Anyone with an elementary knowledge of the VAST architecture could tell you in less than a second with one note press if programming existed. So this person made allegations about my product and further embroiled himself in an embarrassing situation by his own lack of knowledge and refusal to cooperate.

If he had checked the disk before publicly announcing that my product was “horrible, ugly, harsh, nasal, and unusable…” he might’ve been led to make a GOOD FAITH EFFORT to allow me to resolve his problem by educating him.

Sadly he is the victim of his own stubbornness in not engaging IN that good faith effort to find a problem that we now know… he did not have.

In his letter to me, he has not offered an apology yet …but I believe he will and I think it will be sincere.

William Coakley

Since I can't post on his forum (he has banned me as he did with everyone who tried to say something about this matter) and since he refuses direct dialog, I'll write a response to him here:

Mr. Coakley: You've made a very wrong choice. Since you don't have the guts to face a direct dialog, and you keep your deliberate slander knowing very well what you're doing, I know exactly what to do now. After reading your last tirade, some people have said that you are a deranged person with personal problems, but I don't think so. You're simply acting in a cowardly way, confusing the issue and attacking people who can't respond. You want to 'educate' me about piano sounds... Well, I won't waste even another minute to answer this. You're laughable. You should be re-educated, probably - to social skills and behaviour.

Want an apology? Well, I had made you an offer to settle our divergences. You have taken a small bit out of context and tried to hit me again with that. Among other things, I had already expanded on that concept in this thread, if you had cared to read it. The only results that you're getting with your mean actions is to project an image of a little, sad character.

Needless to say, my offer to you is not effective anymore.

Good luck.

I'm thinking of sending this message to him as an email.