• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius questions...

Share/Bookmark

Question Sibelius questions...

Hey,

I'm very new to Sibelius with GPO and I'm stuck on a few issues...

1.) I have the GPO Plugin for Sibelius to make crescendos and decrescendos, and it seems to work well for all instruments except percussion. It has no effect on percussion. I've tried everything I know to do about but nothing seems to work, is there an alternate way to make percussion instruments crescendo and decrescendo?

2.) I've noticed that with Sibelius the instruments are all in the key of C, even B flat Clarinets and F Horns, this isn't much of a GPO question, but is there anyway I can fix these to the right key?

3.) This is probably gonna seem like a stupid question because I'm a newbie at GPO, but I'm completely clueless on how to switch to different kinds of instruments (like from Violins Lush to Violins Trills) I've looked into how to properly incorporate trills, pizzicatos, etc. into my pieces with GPO.. but I still remain clueless on how to do it in Sibelius 3.

If anyone can help me with some or all of these issues, it would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone can help me out with any of these issues it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Sibelius questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon S.
    Hey,

I'm very new to Sibelius with GPO and I'm stuck on a few issues...

1.) I have the GPO Plugin for Sibelius to make crescendos and decrescendos, and it seems to work well for all instruments except percussion. It has no effect on percussion. I've tried everything I know to do about but nothing seems to work, is there an alternate way to make percussion instruments crescendo and decrescendo?

2.) I've noticed that with Sibelius the instruments are all in the key of C, even B flat Clarinets and F Horns, this isn't much of a GPO question, but is there anyway I can fix these to the right key?

3.) This is probably gonna seem like a stupid question because I'm a newbie at GPO, but I'm completely clueless on how to switch to different kinds of instruments (like from Violins Lush to Violins Trills) I've looked into how to properly incorporate trills, pizzicatos, etc. into my pieces with GPO.. but I still remain clueless on how to do it in Sibelius 3.

If anyone can help me with some or all of these issues, it would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone can help me out with any of these issues it would be greatly appreciated.
    Bandon,

I don't have a lot of time, but I can answer your first question: percussion instruments, violin pizz, harp, are all affected by velocity changes, not C1 messages. Select the note(s) you want, and open the Live Playack panel; increase the number (up to 127) to make it louder, decrease - well you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

R. Pearl

Hi Brandon,

with Sibelius, you can view the part in the score in concert pitch, as you are doing now, or select a bar so it turns blue, then go up to the little circular icon that has a Bb major key signature in it, click on it, and it will turn it into the written pitch as the instrumentalist would play it from. Click on it again and it will view as concert pitch.
    This is handy, as you can enter the notes in concert pitch, then switch it to written pitch, saving you all the hard transposition work.

best,
    SM.

Yes, also with the lush strings and ordinary strings...lush strings have to be set to another stave, as it is a completely different sample than the ordinary string samples.
    If you want to switch between different sounds, say if you are using the strings "keyswitch" samples, it's a bit to long for me to explain here, but check out the sibelius tutorial on the GPO site by James Humblestone. There is also a plug-in that is downloadable from the site for you.
    If you have Sibelius 4, the new upcoming GPO/Sibelius player, will have all of those keyswitching things most likely built into the score, which will save you heaps of time...and it looks like the use of the sibelius cresendo/decrescendo plug in will be a thing of the past, as the new sib/gpo player will have all of the expression marks, pp, ff, hairpins etc, all related to how GPO works.
    Thats in November apparently, so it's not too long to go.
    Have a look if you want on the Sibelius /GPo threads on the general discussion page for an idea, or go to the Sibelius website, and click on "News" on the panel on the top of the webpage, and it will give you all the details on there also.
    best,
    SM

Brandon,

Sorry for having misspelled your name.

Bandon is a very beautiful town on the coast of Oregon, so it wasn't an insult

R. Pearl

Thank you all for your help,

I've gotten further in the piece I was working on thanks to your help...( no insult taken, rpearl)

I would like to ask one last question though now that I'm becoming even better aquainted with the percussive side of GPO, I've noticed that a lot of times in Sibelius in many parts with fast percussive rythms and sometimes even slower ones that it seems like the instruments aren't being hit on the exact beats, sometimes they are too quick or too slow, it definately degrades the performance of my piece.. my assumption is that it's a memory problem since I have 512 MB of memory , not 1 gig or higher... but I may be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon S.
    Thank you all for your help,

I've gotten further in the piece I was working on thanks to your help...( no insult taken, rpearl)

I would like to ask one last question though now that I'm becoming even better aquainted with the percussive side of GPO, I've noticed that a lot of times in Sibelius in many parts with fast percussive rythms and sometimes even slower ones that it seems like the instruments aren't being hit on the exact beats, sometimes they are too quick or too slow, it definately degrades the performance of my piece.. my assumption is that it's a memory problem since I have 512 MB of memory , not 1 gig or higher... but I may be wrong...

Brandon,

This came up a few weeks back - do a thread search. I'm sorry I can't find and supply the link, but the issue was discussed (and resolved, I think).

Good luck.

R. Pearl

Found it:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38144

Hope it helps.

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum