• Register
  • Help

Topic: FInale 2006 vs Sibelius 4

Share/Bookmark

FInale 2006 vs Sibelius 4

The title of the post says it all. Anyone out there own both and could give me the pros and cons of both. And in ur experience which one do u think is better.

Re: FInale 2006 vs Sibelius 4

Quote Originally Posted by Struggler06
    The title of the post says it all. Anyone out there own both and could give me the pros and cons of both. And in ur experience which one do u think is better.
    Have a look at this thread for various opinions

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38237

Basically, it depends what you want to achieve, and your preferred work method.

I have seen the difference between Fin and Sib described as the choice between driving a manual car (stick shift) and an automatic car. Some people just prefer one over the other, and there are pros and cons with both.

For starters - doownload both the demos and give them a try.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Have a look at this thread for various opinions

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=38237

For starters - doownload both the demos and give them a try.
    But when you download Finale demo, do not use the download software that they suggest you try. I tried it twice, both times had to clean plenty of unwanted items from my system. As a result, I still don't have the Finale demo.

Richard

Sadly I don't think anyone can really quantify the differences for someone else, they do the same thing, but they do it differently, and as to whether that is very different or just a little different, even that's in the eye of the user.

I spent WAY too much time trying the demos and trying to decide. I'd suggest that a quick once through each demo to see which one really grabs your fancy, and then just take the plunge<G>! I'd also suggest the Overture 4 demo, just to make things a little more difficult!

FWIW, I was leaning towards Sibelius because, at the time, there was a lot of press about the research they were doing into quantifying musical performance and even composition styles. Even if I wasn't going to make use of the fruits of that research I figured it was worthy of support.

Then it was "leaked" that the folks at Finale were doing similar research and that rationale disappeared.

Now I use Finale, and I use it primarilly as a replacement for pencil and manuscript paper (never used pen cause I was always changing things!). If I want to realize a piece I usually go immediately to Sonar, where I have a great deal more control, and, where I can add audio, which I do a lot.

Why did I choose Finale over Sibelius? This is a little embarassing, but price. I do quite a bit at a local highschool, and they told me I was eligible for an educators discount. I checked with both Finale and Sibelius, and only Finale offered such a discount, and they would honor it for me, so I landed firmly in the Finale camp.

Why do I stay with Finale? Inertia! It took a while to learn to do the things I want to do, and I am apprehensive about having to go through the whole learning process again. I have spent time with the Overture 4 demo, and I think I'd like to add that to my toolbox, not purely as an engraving package, and not purely as a sequencer, but rather as something that falls in-between. I need to see how well I can move, via MIDI or musicXML, work from Finale to Overture, but it that works well I think that both could be a formidible combination.

Sorry I can't be more detailed, but it really isn't that one is better than the other, or even that one works better than the other for any given task. It really comes down to what you want to do, and how you like to work.

Bill

Just to make the record clear, Sibelius does have an educator discount.

R. Pearl

Looks like I'll have to try the demos and decide as well.... though I'll likely have to stick to the GPO freebies unless a super-sale comes on.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Go Back to forum