• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio problems with tracktion

Share/Bookmark

Audio problems with tracktion

Hello, I'm new to Tracktion 2 as well as Garritan Personal Orchestra, both of which I recently purchased. I can get tracktion to play back midi files via GPO without a problem, but when I try to export into audio it does nothing (supposedly a progress bar should appear... I see one flash briefly showing no progress before going away). To give more information that might help identify the problem, I'm currently using a G4 iBook 1.33 Ghz 512 MB RAM Mac OS 10.4... to get GPO to play through Tracktion I use GPO studio... I thought it would be able to go through GPO directly without GPO studio but I couldn't get Tracktion to find GPO itself... using studio tracktion plays everything back alright. Assuming I needed to use GPO directly, I reinstalled the GPO VST from the GPO disk... now when I try to scan for plug-ins, Tracktion finds it but gives me an error and crashes. Anyone have suggestions? I posted about this on a tracktion forum but couldn't get any answers that helped, so I'm posting here on the chance that its a problem involving GPO and not tracktion.

Re: Audio problems with tracktion

Quote Originally Posted by JaredC
    Hello, I'm new to Tracktion 2 as well as Garritan Personal Orchestra, both of which I recently purchased. I can get tracktion to play back midi files via GPO without a problem, but when I try to export into audio it does nothing (supposedly a progress bar should appear... I see one flash briefly showing no progress before going away). To give more information that might help identify the problem, I'm currently using a G4 iBook 1.33 Ghz 512 MB RAM Mac OS 10.4... to get GPO to play through Tracktion I use GPO studio... I thought it would be able to go through GPO directly without GPO studio but I couldn't get Tracktion to find GPO itself... using studio tracktion plays everything back alright. Assuming I needed to use GPO directly, I reinstalled the GPO VST from the GPO disk... now when I try to scan for plug-ins, Tracktion finds it but gives me an error and crashes. Anyone have suggestions? I posted about this on a tracktion forum but couldn't get any answers that helped, so I'm posting here on the chance that its a problem involving GPO and not tracktion.
    I have never used Traction, but I would suggest that you use the AU plug instead of the VST or Studio. Your ram, 512mb seems a little small also. Traction is not as much of a hog as DP or Logic, but I still would upgrade to 1 gig. If you could.

I would say, however, that I believe you might be using Traction incorrectly. Usually we don’t think of “exporting” to audio. When we use the word export we are usually thinking of saving some kind of audio file to another type so that it can be used outside of your sequencer. For example you might export an audio file from Traction as an MP3 to use in ITunes or for your MP3 player.

Jerry Wickham is a Traction user. Perhaps he can chime in and help.

Karl

Well I got that problem fixed, thankfully. Now I have a new question though; when I play back files in general midi, the balance is just how I want it but when I put it through GPO it all sounds about the same volume throughout, even if I wrote in crescendos. I know there's a mod wheel, sustain petal ect.. for if you're playing through a keyboard... is there a way to take advantage of those features if you're using a midi file such as while editing?

It sounds like you need to sit down with a long, tall cappuccino and your Traction manual. Again, I don‘t use traction, but I’m sure you can draw the data into your edit window.

Best of luck,

Karl

Jared,

I don't use T2, but T1.

General MIDI files use VELOCITY as means of expressing volume (or the actual VOLUME CC controller), and GPO of course, uses (with some logical exceptions) the mod wheel.

To address your first problem,
    I don't use T2 yet (want it very much) - but in Tracktion 1, at least, you have to remove ALL of your plugins when you wish to export to MIDI. it sucks, but what I do is once I am finished editing my masterpiece and I for some reason need to create a MIDI file of what I have done, I save my edit as something else, and then remove the plugins and then export.
    As for your other question,
    In order to get General Midi file to play back with the proper crescendos and such, you need to use the MIDI editing tool to "Draw" in the MOD wheel data for each instrument. Sometimes (like when exporting a Finale file to MIDI and importing it into Tracktion), voiume curves have been added to as a part of Human Playback. They show up in your MIDI editing and you can use them as general guides of where to add your Modwheel data.
    I wish someone would create a plugin or something in tracktion where it would auto-detect volume CC adjustments and translate that into Mod-Wheel CC data on the fly - That would save SOOOO much time and effort.
    Converting MIDI to GPO is a pain - but the effort is worth the gains of realism you acheive.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more Tracktion help.

Nice to see another Tracktioneer here.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Jared,

You have success using GPO Studio with Tracktion?
    I find that at least in T1, no matter what midi channel I am recording with, it will always play the channel 1 instrument at the same time. It PLAYS back just fine, but absolutely drives me nuts when entering the notes.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum