• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture 4: really appreciated.

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Overture 4: really appreciated.

I upgraded my GPO copy of Overture SE to the full Overture 4.

Every full GPO (original package) owners can do it.

Thanks to the upgrade special offer, the price of Overture 4 is very interesting.

I was very happy because of the incredible quality/price rate: Overture 4 may compete from a composition support and pure notation point of view with all most famous but expensive notation programs.

But the very effective features are the easy and complete MIDI editing, almost replacing a sequencer in main editing actions, as in VST hosting, effects and audio file bouncing included! IT WORKS!!!
    The playback was never so fine, easy and expressive, directly from your score. (Even if the human playback algorithm is not advanced as Finale , Sibelius or Igor of course, it plays what you write: just write expressions, and you get expressive playback!).

Limitations:
    the only main limit is the audio editing and advanced effect management, that you still need to do in an external sequencer. But an in-expensive application like Cubase SE3 (or Garage Band for very basic needs of Mac users!!!)) is providing you with very advanced audio editing and mixing features for less than 150$!!!

The wonderful gift of technology and market evolution is providing common people, buying software for fun and not professional use, with advanced tools for an affordable amount of money. This is a good step against piracy also IMO.

Thanks and congratulations to the whole GenieSoft developers and marketing staff!

Re: Overture 4: really appreciated.

Well stick around Fabio. You're in for a treat with version 5.

And that's not to say we aren't constantly improving version 4. We're adding in small user requests for score engraver options as we go along and we've got some surprises up our sleeves for the near future.

We appreciate all the kind words and the support from the community.

LOL, I bought it and now I'm waiting for the pdf manual so I can figure out how to use it. I haven't used a notation program since the late 1990's and then it was Musicator Intro which worked TOTALLY differently than Overture. I need the manual to figure out my way through everything this coming winter when I have the time to study it.

Tom

Sorry to, um, dampen the mood, but I've been unable to register at the Geniesoft forum and have a couple bug reports.

1. Hairpins have no effect on voices 2-8. I have made sure they are set to CC1 (volume/modulation), unchecked "on all voices," nothing works. This problem was not present in Overture 3.6 SE, but I think it has been going on since I downloaded Overture 4.

2. Stuck notes. I created a GPO template, and notes always stick in the template or OVEs based on it. If I play a piece all the way through there is no problem, but hitting the space bar prematurely to stop it causes most of the notes currently playing to continue indefinitely. I have to close Overture or remove the instruments from the VST racks to make it stop. This is only a problem with the template I created, and I should note that at first I had loaded twelve very comprehensive instances of GPO, then realized that my computer could not handle it. The VST rack has been scaled back greatly; still twelve instances, but not full ones. It's less GPO than I used to load using GPO Studio. Now, I suppose this problem would be corrected if I simply created a new template - but reprogramming all the percussion codes for snare, bass drum, toys, etc. is extremely tedious and I'm hoping for a way to avoid it. Would consolidating the instruments into fewer instances of GPO help?

Again, sorry to interrupt, but I haven't been able to post in the Overture forum.

1. I just confirmed this. We'll get that fixed.

2. I don't know how you loaded more than 8 instances in GPO Studio. Anyway, you may need to make sure your audio card driver settings are the same as well any effects settings. The engine we are using is made by the same team that designed GPO Studio and I'm positive the performance is equal or better in the same environment. To know for sure, save a GPO Studio file and open it in Overture 4. The performance should be identical. This type of thing is hard to troubleshoot without seeing the file. If you are geniunely getting worse performance, it would help if you email the file to support. We'll get it to the people that need to see it.

Question Re: Overture 4: really appreciated.

...and please, please, please, MAC OSX version soon...can't wait!

Joseph,
    Any ( online ) manual yet for ver 4 ??

-- atonal

2. I don't know how you loaded more than 8 instances in GPO Studio. Anyway, you may need to make sure your audio card driver settings are the same as well any effects settings. The engine we are using is made by the same team that designed GPO Studio and I'm positive the performance is equal or better in the same environment. To know for sure, save a GPO Studio file and open it in Overture 4. The performance should be identical. This type of thing is hard to troubleshoot without seeing the file. If you are geniunely getting worse performance, it would help if you email the file to support. We'll get it to the people that need to see it.
    I mean to say the template I'm now using has less total patches loaded than I used to use in GPO Studio, but spread out over twelve instances instead of eight so I have room to bring in additional instruments like contrabass clarinets. The audio driver I've used with both GPO Studio and Overture 4 is Microsoft Sound Mapper, but I've tried every driver that doesn't give an error message and there's no change. And the performance isn't worse: it's stuck notes. No mistake about it, the performance is much more precise in Overture 4.

What audio card is in your PC? Have you tried ASIO4ALL?

The manual... Is still in the works. The program is not simply an update, under the hood many things were redesigned so its taking some time to document all the changes. Especially on the VST end.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    ...and please, please, please, MAC OSX version soon...can't wait!
    Just for emphasis. The only reason I've held off on buying one of the latest editions of the notation softwares is cause I'm waiting for an OSX version of Overture. Aside from being the cheapest for me (with the Overture 3 SE upgrade) I'm also really loving the full VST (and hopefully AU) support that it offers. Plus I already know overture, no point in learning new software when most all of the stuff I'll want will be in overture.
    Tim

Go Back to forum