• Register
  • Help

Topic: S.O.S --- LA people please help!

Share/Bookmark

S.O.S --- LA people please help!

I'm in fairly desperate need of finding a tech (a good one) that can fix my PC rebooting problem. I need someone on in the LA area. Everyone who I've called so far doesn't return my phone calls.... and I'm running out of time to fool with this.

I also have a few questions for you PC wizards. (thanks)

1) Is it likely that they will find the prob to this reboot issue. Can they run some sort of diagnostic to make sure it's not the hardware.

2) What do you think I'm looking at paying here? I already paid some dude to come to my place.... he sat here and fiddled for 2 hours, said he didn't know what it was, took my $260 then left.

I'm sorta looking for someone who can fix this thing..... isn't that possible, to just fix a PC???????? What's the big deal..........?

Thanks............!!!

Re: S.O.S --- LA people please help!

You can wipe the drive and do a clean install...

Easy to do

Hey Kid-Surf,

I am no comp wiz, but here's how I have dealt with a similar situation:

Remove the bootable hard drive and put it as a secondary hard drive in another comp. (Don't forget to make sure the switches for Master-Slave is set properly) Boot from that computer's regular boot-up drive. Run scan disc thorough on the sick hard drive from the good drive (set to automatically fix any problems). This fixed my problem.

Hans
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    I'm in fairly desperate need of finding a tech (a good one) that can fix my PC rebooting problem. I need someone on in the LA area. Everyone who I've called so far doesn't return my phone calls.... and I'm running out of time to fool with this.

I also have a few questions for you PC wizards. (thanks)

1) Is it likely that they will find the prob to this reboot issue. Can they run some sort of diagnostic to make sure it's not the hardware.

2) What do you think I'm looking at paying here? I already paid some dude to come to my place.... he sat here and fiddled for 2 hours, said he didn't know what it was, took my $260 then left.

I'm sorta looking for someone who can fix this thing..... isn't that possible, to just fix a PC???????? What's the big deal..........?

Thanks............!!!
    ...just throwing this out there:

boot into safe mode (google it if you don't know how), and if it stops rebooting then, try re-enabling each of your drivers (somewhere under system properties) to see if you can find the culprit.

no idea if this is close, but i hope it helps.

john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf

What a thief! Charging for doing nothing.

Maybe, if you post a few more specifics someone here or someone on a more "PC tech" type of forum can help you out.

Wiping your hard drive and starting over might not a bad idea though, but it'll take a while.

PM me with a way to contact you - I might be able to help.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

If nothing else is wrong and the computer constantly reboots it's usually an overheating problem.

Open up the case and look at your processor's heatsink fan and make sure that the fan is running and that the heatsink is secure. If it is a heatsink that is just glued to the processor they can fall off eventually.

Like others have said if you rule out overheating. Boot in safe mode and see if it stays running.

Have you installed any hardware or software recently? If so uninstall the last thing you installed and see if that makes a difference.

The computer will usually not reboot if there is a harddrive problem. It usually won't boot at all if that is the case.

Also scan for viruses. There are some viruses going around lately that cause constant rebooting.

Cheers,
    JS

Thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate the info!

BUT! I'm a fool on a PC. Really, I just need to find someone who can get this back up and running. My feeling is that it needs to be wiped clean and just start over. The thing is, I really need to know it's stable, so my thinking is that wiping it would probably be the most sure fire way to have a clean box.

BTW --- If I have my gig files (my rare or homemade files) saved to a hard drive, can I simply load them back into the PC once it's cleaned out. I mean do I just drag them back to the Gig folder. Or is there some other sort of info (or directory of some sort) that will be lost in the whip..... Simply, will giga see those gig files once they're put back?

This box isn't connected to the internet though, so not sure if there could be any viruses. But as we all learned in 7th grade , girls can get pregnant if dry hump them. So with that school of though I won't rule that out (viruses, not a pregnant computer) till I'm told that's "not" what the prob is.

I'll check the heat-synch, thanks for the tip.....

Houston -- I'll PM you.

What are the exact symptoms?

For hardware diagnostics download this suite of tools: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ .Don't bother with the windows version, just download the dos-version, burn a cd and boot from it (you might have to change boot order in bios). You´ll find a bunch of hardware diagnostic tools there (be sure to run a memorytest).

Go Back to forum