• Register
  • Help

Topic: Re-installing Giga 3

Share/Bookmark

Re-installing Giga 3

Ok..I've come to the conclusion that my RAID array is not working with my Giga setup at the moment. I'm in RAID 5..so , i want to reconfigure all my drives and reformat etc etc..

Tell me if thisp procedure is ok .

- uninstall Giga
    -backup registration
    -change my drive configuration
    -re install Windows XP pro
    -re install Giga 3
    -re authorize

does that makes sense??

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Yves

Re: Re-installing Giga 3

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    - uninstall Giga
    -backup registration
    -change my drive configuration
    -re install Windows XP pro
    -re install Giga 3
    -re authorize
    Do you already have your license backed up? Burn it to a CD or copy it to an HDD that's not going to be reformatted.
    Start / Programs / Tascam / GS3 / GS3 License Maqnager.

After Installing XP Pro, I would Install "the old" SP1 then make an IMAGE of your OS/Program partition(s).

Maybe someone with RAID experience can give some helpful tips.

Hope it works out for you!

Thanks for the tips Potatobug !

didn't know that I could burn the backup registration on CD..will do !

ok for SP1 as well.

many thanks

Yves

I would expect the RAID arry to be used for samples. You have everything on the RAID?

Bill ,

in Raid 5 , I think all the drives are in RAID.

Here's my situation , I had 4 drives SATA 7200 rpm in RAID 5

Althought all the drives are in the array , what you see on the desktop is a C drive that corresponds to one of the drives and the three others form the D drive...but if I undestand well what a RAID 5 is , all the drives are in the array.
    I could be wrong though..I didn't build this..
    Anyhow , whatever RAID 5 is , I still have issues with crackles and pop in the audio. Now , on the Tascam site , in the FAQ's , they say that , to determine the source of the audio dropouts , there's a simple way to do a troubleshooting test.
    I did a sequence of a very buzy piano part with sustain pedalling all over the place to increase polyphony count ,on my Mac. At that point there's all sorts of glitches etc etc..
    What Tascam recommends is to do an audio capture of the sequence in Giga.,
    If the audio glitches are still in the resulting .wav file , then it's a drive issue.
    If there's no audio glitches in the resulting files , then it's a soundcard issue.

does that makes sense??? seems to !

Yves

Even though you have a C and D drive, if you'll all in the same array, then they're all controlled by a single interumpt.

My recomendation would be to get another drive (EIDE) to install the OS and all applications on, and just use the array for samples.

exactly what I want to do..either RAID 0 or even straight SATA without RAID and spread the libraries amongst them evenly..that could probably work as well.

thanks Bill!

Yves

I had a crackles and pops issue with an ABIT AI7 (intel 865 chipset) mobo. No matter what I did, and I did everything imaginable, the problem would not go away. I am convinced it was a bad built in RAID controller.

So I went out and exchanged the AI7 for a ABIT IC7-G (intel 875 chipset) and the crackles and pops are all gone.

I use XP PRO SP2 and this is how my GIGA PC is confgured.
    BTW it might be best to have your programs and o/s on a separate drive IDE or SATA (Not in an array) and the samples on RAID 0
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Raid 5 is not a good choice for a combination of GigaStudio and streaming samples. You want Raid 0. And put your apps on a separate drive so that you're not streaming from the same drive the program is running on. Cheers, jc

Go Back to forum