• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: WinXP 64 bit Support?

Share/Bookmark

WinXP 64 bit Support?

Does the current Kontakt Player (latest upgrade) bundled w GPO compatible w WinXP 64 bit?

Specifically does run in 32 bit mode in WXP64, or 64 bit?

Of course, it won't matter unless the audio card drivers work in WXP64 -which is what may hold things up most

A quick visit to GenieSoft website shows that the requirements for Overture 4.0 is Win 2000/XP -which I think clearly says no too WXP64.

For anyone thinking of using the new AMD64 X2 Dual Core processor in their dream GPO/JABB it would be a definite plus, although I would expect to see a significant performance improvement with plain WinXP (32bit) with the dual core processor and 4Gb of RAM. Apparently WinXP (32bit) can see 4Gb but has a max of 2Gb for OS, and 2Gb max for Data. Do the GPO samples load into the DATA segment of RAM?

Has anyone hands on experience with GPO running on a dual core processor?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: WinXP 64 bit Support?

It runs in 32 bit mode. What I'm wondering is 2 things:

1) When are we going to have 64 bit native samplers?

2) For 64 bit native hosts that support 32 bit samplers (e.g. Sonar 5), how much memory will the 32 bit samplers be able to fill with samples? Will it be more than previous 32 bit scenarios, or only more than 32 bit by way of more instances of the sampler, each being able to load its 32 bit maximum, or will it just be the same as before? I guess will know very, very soon as Sonar 5 will be in the public's hand in a matter of days.

fizbin

Yes, 64 bits would really be benifcial to music applications. The lack of support for it is depressing. Well, things will swing around eventually. When Longhorn/Vista comes, the software and hardware providers will have to support 64 bit, since the standard version of Vista will be 64 bit.

Its probably a chicken/egg problem. No one produces a 64 bit sound card because there are no 64 bit music applications. And no one makes 64 bit music applications because there are no 64 bit soundcards.

But a 64 bit soundcard would be useful without 64 bit music applications because Win 64 can allocate 4 Gigs to each 32 bit application, a big improvement over Win32, since you don't have the OS, system resources, the drivers, etc eating memory. Last time I checked there was no 64 bit soundcards available. Maybe there are now, I don't know. But I don't understand why the soundcard producers aren't jumping on this opportunity. What do they have to do, just rewrite the drivers? This will be a great boon to the music industry, and seems like a profitable niche to jump into. But nothing. And from what I've read, Win 64 works great. The lack of support is puzzling.

Cool Re: WinXP 64 bit Support?

For me the issue not 64-bit sampling (indeed that depth would seem hugely excessive, given that we're just moving from 16-bit to 24-bit) but of having sufficient memory and processor power to assemble ones orchestra without having to resort to a lot of tricks and measures/approaches which really get in the way of the basic creative process (for me, at least).

All I want for Xmas is a powerful enough processor with "enough" memory to get the job done. It's sad that today's 1 gig RAM prices are down to $75 or less and one could "throw money at it" if only the OS would do something with the memory (assuming that your motherboard was configured to take more than 2 gig -- which most aren't).

The other area where the next generation of software sequencers need to start helping out is to somehow balance very minute events, For example, consider changing an "expression envelope" in the equivalent of 64th notes and the load that puts on the processor -- resulting in the horrid "pops and clicks" which, I believe, represent a "break-down" on the part of the software to simply keep up. It seems to me that in trying to faithfully decode this "multiple stream" of events (in real time), the software should just be "smarter" about when it's time to "approximate" rather than resorting to the completely un-musical break-down. Of course, when the final piece is "rendered" I want the software and the processor to just take as much time as necessary and faithfully reproduce what I intended for every note, for every track, etc.

Oh, well ... I can dream ...

my $0.02 ... KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by cjsm
    Yes, 64 bits would really be benifcial to music applications. The lack of support for it is depressing. Well, things will swing around eventually. When Longhorn/Vista comes, the software and hardware providers will have to support 64 bit, since the standard version of Vista will be 64 bit.

Its probably a chicken/egg problem. No one produces a 64 bit sound card because there are no 64 bit music applications. And no one makes 64 bit music applications because there are no 64 bit soundcards.

But a 64 bit soundcard would be useful without 64 bit music applications because Win 64 can allocate 4 Gigs to each 32 bit application, a big improvement over Win32, since you don't have the OS, system resources, the drivers, etc eating memory. Last time I checked there was no 64 bit soundcards available. Maybe there are now, I don't know. But I don't understand why the soundcard producers aren't jumping on this opportunity. What do they have to do, just rewrite the drivers? This will be a great boon to the music industry, and seems like a profitable niche to jump into. But nothing. And from what I've read, Win 64 works great. The lack of support is puzzling.
    Interesting conjecture.

1) I'd like you to explain just what addressable memory size has to do with an I/O device like a soundcard.

2) Presuming you mean 64 bit sampling and playback when you refer to a 64 bit soundcard, how do you figure they would get the cryogenic conditions needed to get that S/N ratio? If I remember right we're talking roughly 6 db of S/N per bit. That means 64 bits ~ 384 db s/n ratio. Might be just a little hard to achieve in real life. Guess we'll have to wait till they develop faith-based soundcards.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by cjsm
    It's not the soundcard, it's the drivers for the soundcard that must be 64 bit. M-Audio Delta soundcards have 64 bit drivers currently. There might be others that I'm unaware of.

fizbin

The new Sonar 5 audio app and plugin library features WinXP/Win64 cross platform support. Actually, they say it's a native 64-bit app running in 32-bit compatablility mode under WinXP.

Howard

Well, Sonar 5 will run as 64 bit native in a 64 bit OS. I suppose they have a 32 bit native version as well to run in a 32 bit OS, since most people will still be running 32 bit. If that's the case then the 32 bit version would also run in the 64 bit OS, but since the 64 bit version supports 32 bit plugins this wouldn't make sense from my understanding.

I'm not sure what you mean by "64 bit native running 32 bit compatability mode". The 64 bit native version will not run in a 32 bit OS, from my understanding.

The really ground-breaking scenario here is 64 bit Sonar running in a 64 bit OS with compatibility for 32 bit and 64 bit plugins. I really want to hear what people's experiences with this are, especially regarding use of Kontakt and to a less degree other VST/DX sample players. Gigastudio use in the 64bit OS will not be possible until Tascam updates it to 64 bit. It will not run at all since the application is in essence a driver.

fizbin

They say they're using conversion layers to allow 32-bit plugins and drivers to work with Sonar 5. And this is suposed to work with their kernel-based audio driver bufferring. Guess we'll find out soon enough how well this works.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    It's not the soundcard, it's the drivers for the soundcard that must be 64 bit. M-Audio Delta soundcards have 64 bit drivers currently. There might be others that I'm unaware of.
    fizbin
    What, no thunking layer?

Ernie

Go Back to forum