• Register
  • Help

Topic: Funky music anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Funky music anyone?

I'm rediscovering funky music. Anyone care for a listen?

Critique is always welcome. Thanks.

Funky2

Re: Funky music anyone?

That put a smile on my face! Very cool!

If I had to criticize anything, the brass section stuff sounds a little synthetic, a problem I think we all have. I know I have to battle my brass samples. And at times, the track might be a little too dense (busy.) But these are just my opinions, so take it for what it's worth.

With that said, though, I really like this track!

- Mike Greene

You are a funky dude!

Bring me back to the good old days

Oh my youth, where have you gone

Cool work man!

Very nice stuff, though I agree with Mike Greene about the brass - which is something we all have to struggle with (At least till JABB is released...)

What libs did you use?
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

not bad. i'd lose most of the open hats, and strip back the drums and bass a little - it's a bit busy (imho and all that). depends whether you're going for a more happy, funky vibe, or a tighter funk feel. a tighter 8 on the hats would let the horns breath a little, and bring the open hats breakdown (break beat?) out in the middle.

that said, it is funk, and funk is the only way, so more please (i'm a funk drummer on the whole, it's the source). oh, and make it longer - a 2 minute boogie is just a tease :-)

nice guitar - real? if not, that's pretty sweet.

thanks for the replys.

The libs are Quantum Leap Brass, Trilogy and Logic plugs. Me on the guitars.

Yeah QL Brass is a bit old in the light of how quickly technology renders stuff useless. I was hoping it was passable. I miss the variety of velocities that a new library offers.

It was supposed to be energetic, happy, fun. Would that bve a sparser funk or does this fit the bill?

What is JABB and when is JABB?

Hi Ron,

He's referring to the soon to be released Garritan Jazz and Big Band Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by juliannicholl
    not bad. i'd lose most of the open hats, and strip back the drums and bass a little - it's a bit busy (imho and all that). depends whether you're going for a more happy, funky vibe, or a tighter funk feel. a tighter 8 on the hats would let the horns breath a little, and bring the open hats breakdown (break beat?) out in the middle.

that said, it is funk, and funk is the only way, so more please (i'm a funk drummer on the whole, it's the source). oh, and make it longer - a 2 minute boogie is just a tease :-)

nice guitar - real? if not, that's pretty sweet.
    I agree with al of the above but then again it lives on the more jazzy side of funk as opposed to Ohio Players, AWB, E,W, & F etc. which is more where my roots in funk are.

Really nice work though and QLP brass sound just fine to me in this context.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Does anyone know where I can get wah-guitar samples? (not loops)....

Go Back to forum