• Register
  • Help

Topic: In Kontact Player--only 8 stereo pair?

Share/Bookmark

In Kontact Player--only 8 stereo pair?

grumbling for a moment---I Had to start using a VST capable sequencer, and so am using Cubase LE (8 available Kontact players instead of Cubase VST's 4)--but omg it is such a step back otherwise from my good ol Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 which has so many more features, is more intuitively designed etc.

And what I miss most is in Cakewalk is the unlimited number of tracks in every editing view, including the mixer--any number of audio and/or MIDI tracks so that mixing is straight forward and clearly laid out at a glance.

MAYBE I'M Missing something---but from the good Cubase tutorials and other posts here at the Forum, and from my own experience now, it seems that in the Cubase mixer there are only 8 stereo pair available? Sure, there can be more strips, but they're just repeats of the other ones, not actually controlling new individual instruments or audio tracks.

I'm working with at least 16 instruments at a time, mixing those down before moving on to another group in the orchestra. But with only 8 stereo pair, there's no way to individually tweak all the instruments before the mix down--not through the mixer anyway.

And then when I unload the Kontact player, and go for my next group of instruments, the data from the previous mix of instruments is still in the mixer---Nice to have that data for future reference, but adding more mixer automation for the new sounds kind of messes up the whole thing--Do you follow?

IS there a way to get more mixing channels in Cubase that aren't merely repeats of the same 1/2, 3/4 etc---SUrely there is?? Or is this one of the limitations of a bundled "light" version of the program?

And I'm talking about the Kontact player 1.8 that comes with GPO--well, the upgrade anyway, but not the full "2" version.

rbowser

Re: In Kontact Player--only 8 stereo pair?

maybe i'm confused about your question, but this is what i know...

I'm using Cubase LE-- it came bundled with my Presonus audio interface. It allows up to 48 audio tracks, and unlimited MIDI tracks. It has 8 VST "rack spaces". Now, each VST instrument that you use as a plug-in has its own number of "outs". Kontakt player, which GPO uses, has 8 stereo outs, (1/2,3/4, etc.)

The thing that I've found is, the MIDI track volume & settings don't do anything. You have to use each "out" channel of the VST instance. Think of each VST instance as a separate hardware sound module, that has 8 outs routed to a hardware mixer. If you

Let's say you are doing 16 GPO instruments. Load up 2 separate instances of GPO Player into VST Rack space 1 and 2. load up 8 instruments into each instance, and assign each instrument to its own stereo "out".

GPO1: 1/2
    GPO1: 3/4
    GPO1: 5/6
    GPO1: 7/8
    GPO1: 9/10
    GPO1: 11/12
    GPO1: 13/14
    GPO1: 15/16

GPO2: 1/2
    GPO2: 3/4
    GPO2: 5/6
    GPO2: 7/8
    GPO2: 9/10
    GPO2: 11/12
    GPO2: 13/14
    GPO2: 15/16

each of these "VST channels" should be visible in the mixer (they will labeled "KPIO1 1/2", but you can change the label). If you only see the channels for GPO1, make sure the "power buttons" on the VST Instruments rack is ON for both instances, make sure you can view "Hidden Channels". You can get up to 64 individual GPO instruments with their own VST channels.

The order of the VST channels in the mixer will follow the order in the VST Instruments rack. GPO1, 1/2-15/16, then GPO2 1/2-15/16. Label them right away so you don't get confused. Each one can become "Hideable".
    --------------------------------------------
    "And then when I unload the Kontact player, and go for my next group of instruments, the data from the previous mix of instruments is still in the mixer"
    If you load the Kontakt player into a different slot in the VST rack that will not happen.

Unless you are using more than 64 intsruments, you should never have to unload any of your 8 Kontakt players. If you are worried about RAM, you can turn specific instances ON or OFF (the button on the upper left of each slot on the VST Instruments rack space.)

Re: In Kontact Player--only 8 stereo pair?

Nigamshah--You are a gentleman and a scholar. So good of you to take the time for the detailed explanation. Thanks!

I didn't explain in very much detail in my post---I was up to speed on Most, but not all, of what you said.

In Kontact, I've been assigning each of the intruments its VST stero out, 1/2, 3/4 etc, and using the audio as opposed to MIDI outs in the Cubase LE mixer, as per a tutorial I found here at the Forum.

I could see all these modules in the mixer, but from watching the VU meters, it was seeming that All instances of the Kontacts were being funneled into just 8 sliders--for instance, each of the first instruments in the Kontacts assigned to 1/2 were coming out of just the One 1/2 slider in the mixer. I couldn't see activity in the other sliders, and thought I'd routed everything correctly--But Obviously I wasn't!

SO, I'm sure I'll have a Moment of Realization when I sit down at the 'puter and follow your email to fix me up with a slider for each instrument. Assigning things immediately, and labelling them before there's confusion seems to be the key.

You were great. Thanks.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by nigamshah
    maybe i'm confused about your question, but this is what i know...

I'm using Cubase LE-- it came bundled with my Presonus audio interface. It allows up to 48 audio tracks, and unlimited MIDI tracks. It has 8 VST "rack spaces". Now, each VST instrument that you use as a plug-in has its own number of "outs". Kontakt player, which GPO uses, has 8 stereo outs, (1/2,3/4, etc.)

The thing that I've found is, the MIDI track volume & settings don't do anything. You have to use each "out" channel of the VST instance. Think of each VST instance as a separate hardware sound module, that has 8 outs routed to a hardware mixer. If you

Let's say you are doing 16 GPO instruments. Load up 2 separate instances of GPO Player into VST Rack space 1 and 2. load up 8 instruments into each instance, and assign each instrument to its own stereo "out".

GPO1: 1/2
    GPO1: 3/4
    GPO1: 5/6
    GPO1: 7/8
    GPO1: 9/10
    GPO1: 11/12
    GPO1: 13/14
    GPO1: 15/16

GPO2: 1/2
    GPO2: 3/4
    GPO2: 5/6
    GPO2: 7/8
    GPO2: 9/10
    GPO2: 11/12
    GPO2: 13/14
    GPO2: 15/16

each of these "VST channels" should be visible in the mixer (they will labeled "KPIO1 1/2", but you can change the label). If you only see the channels for GPO1, make sure the "power buttons" on the VST Instruments rack is ON for both instances, make sure you can view "Hidden Channels". You can get up to 64 individual GPO instruments with their own VST channels.

The order of the VST channels in the mixer will follow the order in the VST Instruments rack. GPO1, 1/2-15/16, then GPO2 1/2-15/16. Label them right away so you don't get confused. Each one can become "Hideable".
    "And then when I unload the Kontact player, and go for my next group of instruments, the data from the previous mix of instruments is still in the mixer"
    If you load the Kontakt player into a different slot in the VST rack that will not happen.

Unless you are using more than 64 intsruments, you should never have to unload any of your 8 Kontakt players. If you are worried about RAM, you can turn specific instances ON or OFF (the button on the upper left of each slot on the VST Instruments rack space.)

Go Back to forum