• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT:Anamorphic DVD's?

Share/Bookmark

Question OT:Anamorphic DVD's?

Even with an Anamorphic DVD and a 16 X 9 TV you still have to "zoom" to full screen right? I assume that the "zoom" is a much better quality then with a standard DVD and that's the big deal.

Does anyone know for sure? I own Pearl Harbor in "Anamorphic 2.35:1" format. I still had to zoom/stretch to use the entire 57" 16 x 9 but it looked very sharp.

Thanks
    FB
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: OT:Anamorphic DVD's?

16 x 9 is 1.77:1, so DVD's that say 1.77:1 on them will have no bars and fill the screen. anything 'wider' will have bars (2,35:1, 2.40:1 etc.). all to do with the director's vision apparently. on a good screen with a front projector in a dark room you don't see the black bars. on my plasma - definite bars.

you can zoom, and it will fill the screen, but you'll probably lose the left and right edges, and it will be slightly less sharp (same information spread over a wider area). some zooms stretch the edges more than the middle, some stretch both ways equally, some are for pulling anamorphic DVD's into shape.

non-anamorphic DVD's need to be stretched horizontally and vertically, anamorphic DVD's only need to be stretched horizontally, so look better (all things being equal).

Thumbs up Re: OT:Anamorphic DVD's?

Wow! That was very helpful. Thank you kindly. Makes sense now

EDIT: Without resizing/zooming we get the white bars on the left and right.

I should add that our TV does have 3 modes of full screen and also that anything broadcasted in HD goes full screen without resizing.

no problem. if you check the manual, it will tell you in as confusing a way as possible which full screen does what. just watch out for weirdly stretched people, and your favorite extras missing at the edge of the screen.

if you want to get fancy, get it ISF calibrated (couple of hundred dollars, maybe less?). if not, get DVD Essentials or the AVIA test disc if you want to tweak yourself ($15?), or just make sure the contrast and brightness aren't too high - burn in and shorter life will ensue.

EDIT: just saw your edit. there is still a lot of 4 x 3 material (for them square TV's) around, so most widescreen TV's default to 4 x 3 mode - hence the white bars at the sides. most set top boxes have an option for 4:3 or 16:9 so that they work with old'n new TV's - with that and your DVD player set to 16:9, you shouldn't have to hit your screen changey button too often.

Thank you again. Yes I was concerned about burn in. The HD channels like ABC, CBS... when not showing a 16x9 (mostly prime time) we have black bars on the sides. I assume that helps avoid burn or maybe not? The regular channels like CNN, Food etc have the white bars. I'll keep it zoomed when watching those "square" channels.

DVE

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Thank you again. Yes I was concerned about burn in. The HD channels like ABC, CBS... when not showing a 16x9 (mostly prime time) we have black bars on the sides. I assume that helps avoid burn or maybe not? The regular channels like CNN, Food etc have the white bars. I'll keep it zoomed when watching those "square" channels.

DVE
    Actually, the black bars cause burn-in the center (where the picture is) burns in and the sides do not (they are black). In other words, the sides (where the bars are) stay like new and the center gets darker. Theoretically, the white bars may help, but I don't know for sure.

Hi Ray,

What amount of exposure time are we talking about before one can get "burned"? I would hope typical use is not harmful. (4-6 hours a day, full screen and box) It seems strange that the digital channels have the L and R black bars knowing it may cause damage. Of course, the black is not nearly as distracting as the gray/white sides.

Thank you for the OT help

Is your TV LCD or plasma? LCDs don't get burn in - plasmas do. If you have LCD it's not a concern.

Projection.

Toshiba 57HX83 57" Cinema Series Widescreen HD

watch equal amounts of 16:9 and 4:3, avoid leaving bright logos/paused material/static computer games on, and get the DVE disc - most burn happens because of way high contrast/brightness. ray is right, black ain't the best (centre burn in), and white is bad cos of side burn in - grey is best. just leave it on full wide screen for a while after any heavy 4:3 sessions and get that contrast down.

actually, if you watch a fairly even mix of black, white, and no-bars TV, it'll even out.

Go Back to forum