• Register
  • Help

Topic: Library Management - Advice Needed

Share/Bookmark

Library Management - Advice Needed

Howdy!

I've run out of space on my hard drive and need to install another and am wondering how I should manage my libraries. Here is what I have:

Hardware
    Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz
    2 Gigs RAM
    78 GB hard drive

Software
    EWQLSO Gold - 15 GB
    Kontakt 2 Library - 15 GB
    GPO
    SONAR 4
    Colossus - 32 GB (not installed)
    EWQLSO Gold Pro - 21 GB (not installed, not yet arrived)
    + a few cats & dogs.

I do not have 32 GB of free hard drive space to install Colossus (nor Gold PRO), so I'll be upgrading very soon. I was thinking of getting a Western Digital HD at the ~200+ GB range and am wondering if I should put all my libraries on one drive or spread them across two?

I'd also like to get Spectrasonics Atmosphere, Stylus, and Trilogy soon, bit those combined would only be another 15 GB or so.

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,
    Wes

Re: Library Management - Advice Needed

get rid of the 78 gig buy two 240 gig Seagates (personal prefrence I can't stand western digital) then buy another 240 gig seagate put that in a case with Firewire 800 and way you go!!!!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Strangecat,

Why do you dislike Western Digital?

Thanks,
    Wes

wes37:
    you'll be fine with a >200GB drive.
    You don't need multiple drives unless you are streaming samples.
    BTW, WD drives are fine. I have about half a dozen of them with not a single failure.

Wes37 it's just personal prefrence of mine, just from my experience with them, there great drives alright, but I haven't had good luck with them at all. Just me and some bad luck^__^ I to pre-ordered Gold Pro!
    yea you probably would be fine with just one big 200 gig hd. Also unless you have three other IDE's taken up then you should have an IDE unused slave for another drive in your computer. So like CRW or DVDRW or you have CDRW and DVD, then you have another IDE Slave that can be used.

Ok, now there's a new twist. I'm not a computer expert by any means, so please pardon my ignorance...

My computer came with a 80 GB Serial ATA hard drive. I wanted to add a second hard drive and purchased a Western Digital hard drive that did not specify the type of drive it was on the box other than to say "IDE-ATA interface" is a system requirement. Anyway, I thought I was buying a SATA drive and when I opened the outer box, the hard drive is an IDE hard drive.

So, can I use an IDE hard drive with the SATA hard drive or do I need to take the hard drive back and exchange it for a SATA drive? If the IDE drive can work with special adapters or such, I'd prefer to take the drive back.

Thanks!
    Wes

yo Wes37 what is your mother board please

Another vote for Seagate drives. Longer warranty than with the WD Caviar drives and a great performance and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    yo Wes37 what is your mother board please
    StrangeCat,

Disregard...I took the EIDE drive back and got a SATA drive. Thank you for your help, though.

As per Seagate, the store I went to was out of the sizes I was looking for, so I got another WD. I suppose I should spend the $15 for the extended warranty?

Wes

Go Back to forum