• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to make Hans Zimmer or Harry Gregson-Williams style toms and snares?

Share/Bookmark

Question How to make Hans Zimmer or Harry Gregson-Williams style toms/snares? (example inside)

y0, anyone knows how can i make this kind of drums? ... theyre like synth toms, snares.. ? hmm

heres an example, its from The Rock soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, Harry G. Williams and Nick G. Smith
    (it wont let me post an URL... just add a ww to this -> keitaro.sk/download/thechase.mp3 )

i mean the percussions, theyre just like...toms and snares but i dont have a clue what kind, if theyre synths, or synthesized acoustic samples or just some kind of heavy reverb or effect? O_o
    It doesnt sound like anything special i know but i wasnt able to reprododuce the sound with EWQL Stormdrum

thanks in advance

Re: How to make Hans Zimmer or Harry Gregson-Williams style toms and snares?

ok one more thing....

sorry for being noobish but reading stuff about EQing and stuff i wanna ask... what is 'compression' of samples? I mean the kind with which youre prolly supposed to get a sound similar to that, along with EQing, reverb etc...

It seems to be one of the RMX sounds ...

oh, thanks you but what is RMX - a hardware or software synth?

It's a software synth : http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylusrmx.html

Heard the toms in this demo : http://files.spectrasonics.net/stylu...4_and_sage.mov

With this VSTi, you can use the loops or make your own (all in midi). You can use the sounds individualy.

A must have ...

In fact, it sounds like ... but Hans Zimmer has his own samplers.

You could check out Tobias Marberger's site for excellent samples, and also Jeff Rona's Liquid Cinema that has several Hans Zimmer sounding Drum&Percussion....

Philo

You can get this sound by running toms through a reverb setting that has high diffusion and no high damping.

Tobs G-town toms are close but more powerful than that. (has more of the chruch reverb in the sound.)

I think from memory that the G-town toms are used in Stylus RMX too.

Keitaro, Id recommend finding some articles that explain compression, eqiing etc, there's plenty on the net.

Put VERY simply, compression simply reduces the extremes in volume. In other words, if somenotes are really loud, others really soft, you can compress the dynamic range down so that the sound has a constant volume regardless of how soft or loud the notes were to begin with.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Put VERY simply, compression simply reduces the extremes in volume. In other words, if somenotes are really loud, others really soft, you can compress the dynamic range down so that the sound has a constant volume regardless of how soft or loud the notes were to begin with.
    That's all very fine if we are talking about a piano sonata, but when talking about powerful slamming drums compression is a bit different.

When drums are not compressed they have a very high dynamic range because of the initial transient (ie. the initial peak in the waveform). The problem is, that it's not the transient that you hear because that's only a few ms. long. You only hear the tail of the drum. Especially with snares, but also hihat, kick and toms.
    When you compress the transient you hear more of the tail and the drum therefore sound louder.

So, when you are compressing drums it's not so much to get an even level between all the hits but more to get an even (and powerful) level in each hit. Of course when you have even levels in each hit you will also have a more even level through out the track.

Thanks guys thats been a great help.

How can i apply compression on my samples? Is my Cubase SX3 or Kontakt2/GS3 enough for this task - as in, adding a effect or send?

Go Back to forum