• Register
  • Help

Topic: Planets

Share/Bookmark

Planets

This is part 4 of Galactica Suite. I don't remember when I wrote it. I just yesterday did the GPO version. All parts are GPO, done with Sonar 4 and Fatar Controller keyboard. I think the trombone part really requires a valve trombone. Or it could be replaced with a baritone horn. A tuba also works well, with a few bars requiring transposition.

Planets (score)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=42875

Planets (mp3)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/4/2/8/42875.mp3

The score could use more expression marks. Some day, I will add them, but I am not anticipating a mad rush for copies of the score, so I guess it can wait a bit.

Richard

Smile Re: Planets

I imagine this music more electronic, or enriched by ambience and effects.
    Was it in your planning, or I'm wrong?
    Anyway you seem to keep hidden someting in the structure: is it a random developing method, or a transformation of basic common material? It's interesting.

Re: Planets

How do I delete a message? My mind linked your comments to the wrong piece. Now I have to think more.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I imagine this music more electronic, or enriched by ambience and effects.
    Was it in your planning, or I'm wrong?
    Well, not exactly, but at the time, I was more interested in the effects than I now am, and there quite likely was an unconscious effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Anyway you seem to keep hidden someting in the structure: is it a random developing method, or a transformation of basic common material? It's interesting.
    Well, my structures are always rather free, as I think you have previously noted. I will try to explain what I had in mind, but this was done some years ago.

The oboe and flute are there to add texture and color to the violins. The entire violin part is derived from a short passage, which is somewhere totally enclosed in the piece. The trumpet was derived from the violin, and the horn and bone from the trumpet. The viola and bassoon were also derived from the violin. The ostinato (contrabass and cello) were born separately. Actually, in a way, I look upon the piece as a layering of more or less independent ostinato parts. Even so, all parts are very closely related.

Richard

Thumbs up Re: Planets - Cosmic Raga

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    This is part 4 of Galactica Suite. I don't remember when I wrote it. I just yesterday did the GPO version. All parts are GPO, done with Sonar 4 and Fatar Controller keyboard. I think the trombone part really requires a valve trombone. Or it could be replaced with a baritone horn. A tuba also works well, with a few bars requiring transposition.

Planets (score)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=42875

Planets (mp3)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/4/2/8/42875.mp3

The score could use more expression marks. Some day, I will add them, but I am not anticipating a mad rush for copies of the score, so I guess it can wait a bit.

Richard
    Found another of your earlier pieces, Richard!

Man! This is so cool...! Sounds so dramatic! I like the ambience in your chosen sounds and the main theme is powerful!

Galactic indeed! Galactic Raga, lol!
    I'm sure John Mc.Laughlin would welcome you as a member in his modern Indu-fusion jazz combo if he heard this! I have already listened 7 times to it now! Where do you get that kind of power from?

Maybe you have connections with the planet Nibiru?

But you are an equilibristic son of a gun!

What a cosmic ride... into the unknown dimensions!

Thanks for having shared this before!

Fred

With Fabio, even before reading his comments, the thought
    immediately came that this might also be very fitting for
    electronic rendition with a complement of synthesizer
    sounds, Richard.

It was most interesting to read your account of your
    method of composition in this -- thank you for that!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I guess I have not mentioned that the Galactica Suite was originally composed for orchestra and synthesizer, with the synth performing the otherwise impossible parts. But at the time, there was no program available that could work well with the orchestra.

But back to Fabio: I think he suggests that this was composed electronically. I am not sure what that means. The electronics I used consisted of a sythesizer and computer. The computer was used only to speed up some tasks that I could have done otherwise, but the computer did it faster. Most of the suite was written before I knew what a sequencer was. I learned about sequencers from Bill Morrow, vibes player for Sun Ra.

Richard

Wow Richard, very interesting piece of music. Very sonic indeed.

I kept having flash-backs to the 70s and watching movies like Babarella. That's not to imply the music is remnant of a cheesy B-rated movie though. LOL
    It just has a lot of the same sonic characteristics to it.

Thanks for the listen Richard.

Mark...

That was pretty experimental and weird music.

I don't think I've heard anything quite like it.

I like it!

Phil

Go Back to forum