• Register
  • Help

Topic: Purchasing Dilema ! ! !

Share/Bookmark

Purchasing Dilema ! ! !

hey,
    this is my 1st post here.. so be patience with me if i'm asking anything stupid.

My studio manager is planning to update our sample library. Currently, composers here just use Hardware sound moudules(XV5080, Motif...). The Current composer was suggesting to get the VSL Cube but i was looking at the EatWest Bundles
    consist of EWQL Gold Pro, EWQL Rare Instrument, EWQL Symphonic orchestra
    just because this provides more sounds for that budget(under 2500USD)

To work with VSL, we have Halion 2 which i don't know wether halion can do it or do we have to update to Halion 3(which is recomended according to the VSL site). But with the East West Bundle ... they come with their own sample player. .

MY main concern is, wether the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold if good enough compare to VSL Cube.

conclusion for me is i'm a lot looking at the East West path.

It'll be nice if u guys can gimme some tips/opinions on my decision making here.

Thanx,

Re: Purchasing Dilema ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by okta
    hey,
    this is my 1st post here.. so be patience with me if i'm asking anything stupid.

My studio manager is planning to update our sample library. Currently, composers here just use Hardware sound moudules(XV5080, Motif...). The Current composer was suggesting to get the VSL Cube but i was looking at the EatWest Bundles
    consist of EWQL Gold Pro, EWQL Rare Instrument, EWQL Symphonic orchestra
    just because this provides more sounds for that budget(under 2500USD)

To work with VSL, we have Halion 2 which i don't know wether halion can do it or do we have to update to Halion 3(which is recomended according to the VSL site). But with the East West Bundle ... they come with their own sample player. .

MY main concern is, wether the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold if good enough compare to VSL Cube.

conclusion for me is i'm a lot looking at the East West path.

It'll be nice if u guys can gimme some tips/opinions on my decision making here.

Thanx,
    It all depends what sound you want. Do a search and you will find loads of posts on the subject. Basically EW recorded a wet room ambiance and VSL a dry one. This means that initially EW is easier to use, but VSL is more flexible. However, if you intend to use "real" legato samples you have to go with VSL.

Only the VSL Horizon series is available for HaLion, so you would have to convert the Cube to your preferred format.

Just be aware that for both libraries the samples are licenced to one person only, so whoever registers them is the only one allowed legally to use them.

D

I hate to say it but ultimately you'll want both. Have you considered going with QLSO Gold and Opus 1 and 2?

QLSO has some great things, and so does VSL...neither one does everything good...just parts!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

hey there,
    thanx for replying... we're doing mostly music for comercials. Time is and issue here, so maybe EastWest is better at that point.
    I didn't mention we already have the Miroslav Vitous library. Is it a bit different between that and VSL/EWQLSO?
    I would get them to buy both i they have the budget.

Halion 2 do convert Giga Samples, just not sure how accurate halion does it.

About the license, Do you know wether they have special license for multiple computers?

>>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Ok. . . Thanx !

I was chatting to a guy yesterday who orchestrates for a big-name film composer, and they have both EW and VSL, but only really use EW as it's far easier to use. I've just ordered the Pro Edition of VSL, but really imagine I'll want EW too. Personally I think it's a bonus that you don't have to add artificial reverb to EW as you do with VSL. They might not have the articulations of VSL, but the EW 1st violins have 18 players, and the 2nd violins have 11. As opposed to VSL's 14 1st's, and no 2nd's...

Hollywood sound, and speed of use: EW
    European sound, and flexibility: VSL

Just my opinions of course...

Best wishes

yea that's totally true about EW and VSL. EW really is about the Hollywood cliche' anoying orchestration *you bet* but doesn't mean you have to compose that way^_*
    VSL really is more time to learn I have heard. I went EW because I thought that the Brass was great and the strings, I look forward to Pro upgrade still.
    Really You probably need both, don't forget about Sonic Implant either Actually that might be the best one of them all and then Sams Brass.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Since you specify that you'll be scoring commercials mostly, I would say that you should get EWQLSO first. In terms of being able to create a decent mock-up quickly, I find it to be without peer. There are several things that VSL does better, but both in terms of the training time and composing time, you'll have to pay a premium to use them. Now, you get real legato with VSL and don't with EWQLSO but if you don't have the time to take care of the mixing anyway...

Anyway: You might find yourself expanding your library down the line, but start with EWQLSO. Given my experience with the Miroslav library, I can tell you that this provides a lot more instant gratification (which is really nice when that deadline is knocking at your door). And we haven't even started about the price of upgrading samplers etc. that goes with purchasing VSL. I use certain VSL Horizon libraries with GS 3, love them to death and bet you would too... but for your vanilla scoring you should be really hapy with EWQLSO.

P.S. The one annoying thing about any Native Instruments based product (like the new EWQLSO libraries) is the issue of authorizations. You can read more on that elsewhere but it can be a real pain and that's one area where VSL edges out the competition.

Go Back to forum