• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Drum Newbie...Stylus RMX

Share/Bookmark

Drum Newbie...Stylus RMX

I have a brand new VSTi host (Overture 4...yay!) and I'm looking to start composing with drum tracks.

I've read the Spectrasonics website, but I'm not exactly sure what terms like 'groove-based', 'Kit modules' and 'realtime groove creation and performance' mean. I could probably guess, but here's what I'd like to know:

Does RMX create/contain pre-created drum tracks? (ie; groove tracks?) Like someone sitting at a drum kit and playing a steady beat (or whatever beat my fertile mind can imagine) with bass/snares/cymbals? (ie; groove performance?) Can I just drop it into my composition? Can I change the bass for a different bass etc.?

Ultimately, I want to know, can someone who can't really create a beat, buy RMX and have beautiful beats that will fit into whatever composition, slow or fast, I've created? (I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes', but I'd like to be sure before dropping close to 300 dollars on it).

Thanks!

Re: Drum Newbie...Stylus RMX

in a word:
    Yes!

You might want to get a couple of additional xpanders depending on the style of music you want to create.
    The RMX core library is great for dance, electronica and everything contemporary but if you are looking for more acoustic type styles like rock and pop check the Backbeat xpander or Burning grooves.
    Each xpander will enhance RMX for a certain style of music.

best
    Hans

Plus you can add REX libss some of which are quite inexpensive and useful, and even (with ReCycle cut up your own loops and add to RMX, with all its options.

You'll love it.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Yes, you can use RMX to drop great sounding beats into your own compositions. You can use it to quickly browse through a large library of great grooves, all of which match the tempo of your song. Using loops has never been easier.

But, that's just the beginning. It's an extraordinarily deep instrument as well, with an endless variety of ways to creatively change grooves to put your own unique stamp on them. It's very easy to quickly come up with great sounding grooves that have literally never been heard before. In short, RMX is a musical instrument in every sense of the word, with all the challenges and rewards that go along with that.

- Glenn

Just to add to all that, there are great tutorials, so that all the "cool" (whatever that means) stuff can be learned by Midiots as well as experts (unlike other bits of software that require you to have a Masters before they even work!).

D

Two big thumbs up from me. This is a GREAT product!

Peace

rp

Thanks for all your help! One other question: is anyone using this product for classical compositions? What xpander library would be most suitable for highly 'grooved' classical compositions?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by imagegod
    Thanks for all your help! One other question: is anyone using this product for classical compositions? What xpander library would be most suitable for highly 'grooved' classical compositions?

Thanks!
    This is a little like asking "Which sneakers go best with a tuxedo and tails?"
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    This is a little like asking "Which sneakers go best with a tuxedo and tails?"
    Nikes...seriously, I understand that classical composition doesn't generally have a 'groove beat'...however defined. But that's my vision...and part of my passion.

If there isn't an 'xpander library' that fits the bill, I certainly understand. If there's something that comes close...by all means, let me know.

It really depends. Believe me, I'm experimenting with the same thing and my only advice is to listen to demos of the different expanders and the core library until you find a groove genre close to your vision.

Go Back to forum