• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Grieg - Aase's Death. An attempt at ensemble building.

Share/Bookmark

Grieg - Aase's Death. An attempt at ensemble building.

Hi all,

My first post here. I got GPO in the recent group buy, but it is only after I got my new computer a couple of weeks ago that I have tried to get serious with GPO. I decided to start out with a simple but well known string orchestra work by Grieg. I am not a trained musician, so I figured this would be the best way to get a feel for the orchestra, before trying to compose my own works.

My first attempt used string sections mixed with a couple of solo instruments, but I could not achieve the variation I desired. Another downside was that e.g. the cello part at some point is split in divisi by 3, resulting in 27 cellos playing. So I am now experimenting with ensemble building. I have read the various tutorials and posts on this forum concerning ensemble building, and knew there could be problems with phasing etc.

The link below is where I am at currently. It is using 12+8 violins, 8 violas, 9 cellos, and a dbl bass section + 3 dbl basses. All are sent through the Ambience reverb. I have tried various constellations of the solo violin player instruments, adjusting the var1/2 settings, time shifting the individual violins and applying randomness to the note timing and velocity with my sequencer. I am finding it hard to make the piece 'breathe' and the violins are a bit 'shrill' at the strong passages. Anybody have any ideas on how to improve on this?

Link: I could not add the link myself, probably because this is my first post on the forum. Hopefully Gary will add it to the next post

Cheers,
    Frits Nielsen

Re: Grieg - Aase's Death. An attempt at ensemble building.

Quote Originally Posted by Zynewave
    Link: I could not add the link myself, probably because this is my first post on the forum. Hopefully Gary will add it to the next post
    Frits,

Thanks for posting this. Here is the link:

http://www.zynewave.com/userfiles/Zy...ases_Death.mp3

This is very good. Your dynamics and phrasing are flawless which makes for a very convincing interpretation. Your reverb is a little on the wet side but that is a personal preference. Thanks, Frits. Very nice piece.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

very, very nice

congrats

Beautiful and delicately performed. Although I personally like the dreamy effect you get with the reverb, perhaps it is just a bit too much for most people ....

Great job on the ensemble building.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Very well done! The dynamics are beautiful. Great work! I've never done string ensemble building with GPO myself, but you seem to have done it very nicely!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Cool Re: Grieg - Aase's Death. An attempt at ensemble building.

It is anyway a good piece "as it is now".

A suggestion, to reach the aim you describe, is to reduce a little the reverb wet mix: it make the high strings more flat and sinthy. The other trick I use is to add some strong attack in the beginning of the phrase to make the blow noise more evident (in GPO the velocity+high modulation do the job), then I reduce the resulting sound too loud, using the audio volume to go back to the right dynamic.

Man that is nice! Fabio is right about using the audio volume to get the exact dynamic you prefer. But only after the right amount of mod wheel data has been entered.

You've got it my friend, that is a beautiful piece!

Dan

Very nice indeed Frit. The hall is large, to be sure, but I have heard recordings like this so you're not alone. The recordings these days seem more clinical and up front. I'm not certain there is a 'right' although I probably would have gone for little less myself but have to admit I also like it the way you've done it.

You have achieved a lovely sound and the dynamics are excellent.....couldn't have conducted it better myself! Just playing with the volume level controller is so very important.....the other detail suggested is the added icing on the cake.

I think the time you must have taken has really paid off as it is an excellent rendition.

Frank

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll experiment some more with the reverb.

You have achieved a lovely sound and the dynamics are excellent.....couldn't have conducted it better myself!
    I must admit that I cheated a little here . I started out by downloading a MIDI file of the piece. Stripped it of tempo and controller events, and quantized all note events. I then set up an arrangement with an audio track containing a capture of this work from one of my CD's. I used this audio track as reference playing overlaid or soloed/muted, as I progressed to enter tempo events, edit note velocities and draw modulation curves. I also borrowed the score from the local library which was useful for finding the places where note sustains should be entered.

Frits

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast