• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mod Wheel Problems

Share/Bookmark

Mod Wheel Problems

I just got GPO about ten days ago and have been living with it on a daily basis every day since, but I have a consistent problem. When I open up sequences in my sequencer (Logic 7.1), the volume levels are completely off from the previous time--that is, they are almost inaudibly low. To get them right again, I have to open each instrument patch in the Kontakt player and adjust the mod wheel again. Why is this?

Am I doing something wrong? Once I set the mod wheel to the appropriate level for a given file, shouldn't it stay the same when I open that file again? I'm really confused about this. It is very frustrating to have to set the mod wheel manually for a dozen or more instruments every time I re-open a file.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Bill Boletta

Re: Mod Wheel Problems

Quote Originally Posted by wlbwlb
    I just got GPO about ten days ago and have been living with it on a daily basis every day since, but I have a consistent problem. When I open up sequences in my sequencer (Logic 7.1), the volume levels are completely off from the previous time--that is, they are almost inaudibly low. To get them right again, I have to open each instrument patch in the Kontakt player and adjust the mod wheel again. Why is this?

Am I doing something wrong? Once I set the mod wheel to the appropriate level for a given file, shouldn't it stay the same when I open that file again? I'm really confused about this. It is very frustrating to have to set the mod wheel manually for a dozen or more instruments every time I re-open a file.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Bill Boletta
    Bill,

There was a bug in Logic 6 and prior versions but this has been fixed in Logic7. We've heard from users that this problem no longer exists in Logic 7. There is a setting in Logic that prevents the mod wheel and other controllers from resetting to zero when playback stops. Perhaps a Logic user can chime in here and assist.

Gary Garritan

I'd appreciate any suggestions
    Bill,
    I suspect the same holds true for Logic as it does for other sequencers:

Insert an initial mod event with a positive value, say 40, at the beginning of each midi track.

Gary is referring to a different behavior that can also be disconcerting. That is that many sequencers default to "Zero Controllers When Play Stops". If you have not inserted initial values for the mod wheel in each midi track and you hit play and then stop, your settings will revert to "0".

But to preserve an initial setting for the mod wheel between sessions, which is what I think you were referring to, you must set the initial value for each track.
    Bill

One more thing: Let's make sure you understand that the mod wheel is not a "set and forget" control of volume. It requires data in the track to work. It is an expressive controller (volume/timbre) that is used to shape the continuous dynamic changes of your instruments. As such, there should be almost constant cc#1 data in your tracks. This cc#1 data supplies the dynamic ebb and flow. See the available tutorials on this and the Garritan site for more detailed information if this is the source of your problem.

Also, it occurs to me, make sure you are not trying to use the GPO player's graphic interface (the graphic mod wheel in particular) in your attempt to enter data. The graphic interface is a convenience for testing and nothing more. The GPO graphic mod wheel generates only internal data for the player and does not export data to your tracks. In other words, any movements of the graphic mod wheel will not be remembered. All cc#1 data must be directly recorded to your tracks from an external controller (keyboard, breath controller, etc.) or entered graphically for each track using the drawing tools in your sequencer.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Mod Wheel Problems

Thanks, Tom, Gary, and the others who replied to my post.

I'm not sure how to handle the cc#1 data properly, but I'll definitely check out the tutorials And, yes, you hit the nail on the head. I have been using the graphic mod wheel in the player rather than an external controller. Live and learn.

I'm a musician, but trained in the "old school" where pens and manuscript paper still ruled our lives. Having my own orchestra to work with, however, is definitely worth the challenge it presents. Purists might object, but I sure can't tell the difference between GPO sounds and the "real" thing. Tremendously exciting! Back to work!

Thanks,

Bill Boletta

Just a progress report. I finally dived into the Hypereditor in Logic (very intimidating at first), and input lots of mod (cc#1) data. It both helped the quality of my piece and also solved the problem of my instrument volumes lowering every time I opened the file. Now I'm trying to record my midi tracks to audio inside Logic with no success. Part of the problem for me is the manual frame of reference that sequencers use, what with all those graphic versions of channel strips, mixers, etc. I'm a trombonist and also can play the piano and a few other acoustic instruments, but I've never fooled around with patch cords, amps, mixers, etc. The sequencers are based on that model, which is sometimes hard for me to grasp. But I'm learning fast. The payoff, of course, is the gorgeous music I can make using GPO.

Bill Boletta

Quote Originally Posted by wlbwlb
    Thanks, Tom, Gary, and the others who replied to my post.

I'm not sure how to handle the cc#1 data properly, but I'll definitely check out the tutorials And, yes, you hit the nail on the head. I have been using the graphic mod wheel in the player rather than an external controller. Live and learn.

I'm a musician, but trained in the "old school" where pens and manuscript paper still ruled our lives. Having my own orchestra to work with, however, is definitely worth the challenge it presents. Purists might object, but I sure can't tell the difference between GPO sounds and the "real" thing. Tremendously exciting! Back to work!

Thanks,

Bill Boletta

Go Back to forum