• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: S.I string ensemble not look like an ensemble ?!

Share/Bookmark

S.I string ensemble not look like an ensemble ?!

hey guys, I try to compose using S.I string ensemble library, but it sound seems very lonely, I need a very huge ensemble feel, I have try Ensemble Con Sordino, Ensemble Espressivo and also Ensemble Harmonics

but it still not working
    I also try Ensemble Harmonics + Ensemble Espressivo, doesn't work either, what's going on with that ?!

Re: S.I string ensemble not look like an ensemble ?!

From what I've read about the SI Strings, they were designed to have a leaner, more intimate sound, not a big sound like you would find in EWQLSO Gold or Platinum. I've actuallybeen looking into getting these strings for precisely that reason - I want a thinner sounding ensemble for certain types of music.

You might try adding some chorusing effect to the strings to see if that "fattens" them up a bit. You could also try layering samples but you might run into phasing problems.

You might try adding some chorusing effect to the strings to see if that "fattens" them up a bit. You could also try layering samples but you might run into phasing problems. <---- hmm, I might try chorusing, but how to laying samples ?!

I have no troubles with the SI ensembles, I use them all the time: I can make it sound small or huge, just by layering. Because of the sections being smaller you can also play chords.

hmmm, I don't know how to layering Nayi, can you please explain a bit? Thanks.

Your problem may be in arrangement: For big string textures, or orchestral tuttis, double, triple, or quadruple-stops are often called for. Hope this helps.

Belbin

By layering we mean make a copy of your Midi notes on a new track and assign another sound to play it. For example, you can have three copies of the same line on three tracks - one will play with sustain patch, second can play with another similar patch, and the third with still another patch. The three tracks playing together will sound bigger than just one track.

I'm afraid I don't know exactly what patches you have available or I would make more specific suggestions.

(scratching my head in puzzlement)
    I never got the impression that SI strings was appropriate for huge bombastic orchestral music. If you bought it thinking that you were going to get that huge Hollywood sound you should have paid closer attention to the demos and the reviews. On top of that, Sordino's and Harmonics will definitely not help you either to achieve that sound.

You could layer the espressivo and legato sets together to beef up the sound, you could also try a good convolution reverb.

The Quantum Leap products are probably a much better choice for huge sounds (and cheaper).

Also, many times what people mistake for a huge string sound is actually string woodwinds and brass playing together. In that case, the strings contribute the character of the sound, but the horns, trombones and woodwinds add clarity and body.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

I don't have SI, but I've heard of people layering them with another string library to get that fatter sound. I've heard that SI and GOS combine very well.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Sometimes I layer them with prime sounds session strings, they are really cheap - about $50 - but very effective. And what I like the most in them is that they sound very natural and alive, there's no processing at all, not even noise reduction which make them sound very "real".

Go Back to forum