• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO percussion toys in Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

GPO percussion toys in Sibelius

I'm trying to get a triangle using Sibelius 3. None of the toys in the Percussion Toys KS is responding. How in the bleep is this thing supposed to work? I saw trumpet82's useful chart of KS values in this subforum, but for the toys he didn't indicate how to conjure up the individual instruments.

I can get a snare drum with the basic perc patch. I use the string KS. But though I hear the Ting of the triangle on the Kontakt keyboard and a cowbell when I hit Test in the SIbelius Mixer for the triangle patch, no tone elicits any sound on the triangle line in my score. I tested the note on the line, and at a dozen points above and below.

Re: GPO percussion toys in Sibelius

I'm not a sibelious user (I can't even spell it right! ) but I'll try to help.

Is the triangle line a percussion line as opposed to a full trebble clef staff? Maybe the line isn't triggering the right note? maybe you're in the wrong octave?

Just some thoughts,
    -Chris

Hi Doug -
    I had the same problem.
    I'm running GPO with Sib 3 on Win XP, 1GB of RAM.
    I had to look at the keyboard for Perc Toys in GPO Studio, & figure out what midi note to turn on. For the triangle, it's ~N81. --And, it's not a continuous controller: I have to put it in for each strike. --Which also suggests I might not have the thing completely figured out yet, but at least this way I get the sounds.
    At present I'm also using crash cymbals, ~N87; short cymbal crash, ~N88; suspended cymbal, ~N92. I haven't tried a suspended cymbal roll yet.
    I did select my harp in the Sibelius mixer to the wrong GPO Studio player position and got a series of really rapid single cymbal strikes for about a measure before I realized what I'd done. Not an experience I can really recommend.
    Hope this helps.
    David Lawrence
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith
    I'm trying to get a triangle using Sibelius 3. None of the toys in the Percussion Toys KS is responding. How in the bleep is this thing supposed to work? I saw trumpet82's useful chart of KS values in this subforum, but for the toys he didn't indicate how to conjure up the individual instruments.

I can get a snare drum with the basic perc patch. I use the string KS. But though I hear the Ting of the triangle on the Kontakt keyboard and a cowbell when I hit Test in the SIbelius Mixer for the triangle patch, no tone elicits any sound on the triangle line in my score. I tested the note on the line, and at a dozen points above and below.

I can't help specifically, but as the above post suggests, there is a very particular way that these souds have to be notated to trigger them. Check the Sibelius manual would be the first step.

One other thing - percussion doesn't respond to Mod Wheel values, so you have to increase the Velocity in the Live Playback area. I had a marimba that refused to sound until I did that...

R. Pearl

Smile Re: GPO percussion toys in Sibelius

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smith

The notes on the treble clef identify the percussion to you can use. Go to the GPO sound on your Kontact player. Find the note on that keyboard that produces the triangle sound. Use this note in Sib score to write your triangle part. Ctrl+Alt+P wil give the velocity controls to make the triangle sound loud or soft. Works great
    richjune- SIbelius user

Go Back to forum