• Register
  • Help

Topic: The ever popular trailer *swoosh* sound

Share/Bookmark

The ever popular trailer *swoosh* sound

Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

I've searched the forum and read some threads about the popular *swoosh* sound heard in movies. This is typically the sound used when the logo is flying in with streaming light rays.

I know there are various ways to get this sound, but lately I've heard some trailers that seem to all be using the same sound. And it's fantastic sounding! Really rich and full with a much wider dynamic range then your typical swoosh.

I'm wondering if anyone knows which popular sound library / vi synth is producing these.

Thanks in advance

Mark Briody

Post Re: The ever popular trailer *swoosh* sound

Quote Originally Posted by Briody
    Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

I've searched the forum and read some threads about the popular *swoosh* sound heard in movies. This is typically the sound used when the logo is flying in with streaming light rays.

I know there are various ways to get this sound, but lately I've heard some trailers that seem to all be using the same sound. And it's fantastic sounding! Really rich and full with a much wider dynamic range then your typical swoosh.

I'm wondering if anyone knows which popular sound library / vi synth is producing these.

Thanks in advance

Mark Briody
    Hello Mark,

Unfortunately many of the FX such as the swooshes you mentioned, heard in trailers come from custom libraries available to trailer houses and not to the public. There are some sample library titles such as Transfusion and Jeff Rona's Cinematic Impact that have wooshes, but many of those featured in trailer campaigns are custom...

Best,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.com

Re: The ever popular trailer *swoosh* sound

Thanks Kaveh! Much appreciated.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The way to produce any of these kinds of sounds is to design them using various components. Very few, if any, synthesizers are going to be a "hit one key" solution. If you use sampled versions, then you will forever be hearing the same effect everywhere.

It's like any other type of analysis--you just look at the picture to get a sense of what it is that's important to portray in sound, then start layering up the components that will get you there.

I'll chime in here since I am a working sound designer with trailer experience...

If you are looking for a trailer style whooshes, check out the "Sound Designer's Toolkit" from the Hollywood Edge. This library is great, packed full of trailer style, over-the-top effects. It is quite "over-used" though, and dare I say a bit cliche these days. Also, for the money you spend on these libraries you could purchase a nice mic, or some creative sound morphing plug-ins.

I create whooshes two ways.

1. Record actual objects whipping in front of a stationary microphone. Chopsticks tied to a piece of string, shovels, bamboo, blowtorches for example. Then process them. The way the pros work. Much better than pulling from a library if you ask me.

2. Get a doppler plug-in like GRM Tools Doppler and run various sounds through it until you get a whoosh you like. Also very effective. Not as organic, but very useful.

Cheers,
    Justiin

Much of this stuff is made by compositing different elements - layering samples/recordings on top of each other, pitching up and/or down (or just detuning for a 'swooshing' flange effect). Just a humble noise generator (or the static recorded in between stations from a radio) sampled, layered with detune and one of them pitch shifted with a real-time controller (like pitch bend) can create a dramatic effect. Add to that some deep drone (or something that descends down to a deep drone) - sync 'em all up and process the lot (as suggested) through a doppler effect or a phase shifter or flanger panning and moving elements as well... it all adds up.

And unlikely sound sources can be a rich source of 'elements' - a vacuum cleaner drone played two octaves down can sound menacing... or stick a mic up the cleaner's nozzle to capture the 'suction' sound... whatever. On its own, maybe not so impressive but layered with other elements.....

Go Back to forum