• Register
  • Help

Topic: trying to make sense of the Roland L-CDX-04 schema

Share/Bookmark

trying to make sense of the Roland L-CDX-04 schema

(Note: I posted the same question on 'Fantomized' but became impatient... I am getting old much too quickly)

Hey... my first post here. No... stay seated.. please.

I'm kinda getting there slowly, but has someone already deciphered the organization and naming scheme for the L-CDX-04 (and like) cd's?

For example, the name 'STR.Vln1 % + dyn' is 'string group, violin#1' (I have no idea about the %), and I'm guessing from the 'dyn' that it velocity-switches somehow. In addition, there are 'patches' named ...V1a, ...V1b, etc, which seem to be decreasingly smaller sample sets (?).

I picked, for better or worse, CDX-03 and 04 as my 'two free CD's' as part of the Fantom XR promo. The samples themselves seem to be pretty good, although it's a bit of a puzzle, figuring out how to import them in the most sensible manner, since lots of the patches seem to contain the same samples, etc (but hey.. I'm not complaining).

If anyone has gone down this road already, I would appreciate any words to the wise. Thanks.
    Last edited by tarvini; 09-15-2005 at 07:10 PM. Reason: left out 'Roland' in the header

Re: trying to make sense of the Roland L-CDX-04 schema

I own the L-CDX-04 as well (converted it to soundfont format) and I have to say that I agree with you. The naming scheme is pretty irritating. Perhaps sometime I will try to organize them myself..
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Thanks Andrew. Just out of curiosity, what are you using to 'play' the soundfonts, and did they translate well? I have a semi-retired older PC that I use sometimes for running the 'Reality' softsynth (which can import soundfonts) and was thinking of trying to use some of the the Roland samples with it.

I used CDXtract to convert them, and as far as I can tell, they translated just fine (it's the same utility I used to convert Symphony of Voices to soundfont format from AKAI). I play them in FLStudio's built-in Soundfont Player, as my main sequencer is FLStudio - it's the core of my studio
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Having been a Roland-head for many years, I have an original Roland Sample Archives disk (in my case, Rhythm Section Vol. 1). It contains the codex to help understand the logic of the "Patch ID" system.

"The Patch ID consists of the 1-3 characters at the end of each Patch name:

e.g., GTR: 6 string 1aS ['1aS' is the 'Patch ID']

The first character is the sound version number. This always indicates a major sound change (different instrument, player, style, pickup, recording method, etc.)

The second character is the patch variation letter. This indicates variation of the same Patch. These utilize the same samples, but with more or less multi-samples. Usually the 'a' variation is the largest.

The third character is the stereo placement indicator. 'S' is only present when true stereo samples have been used. 'M' is mono, and 'D' is detuned mono samples layered to achieve a stereo chorus effect.

Abbreviations & Symbols:
    v/s = Velocity Switch
    v/x = Velocity Crossfade
    + = Mix, Layer, or Additional
    - = Split
    X = Cross
    Alt = Alternate or Alternating"

Unfortunately, it does not explain what '%' and '^' mean. I seem to recall that maybe '%' had something to do with the Mod Wheel...

Not much help, I know. Maybe Eric P. (who programmed some of that stuff ) will see this and chime in.
    Collard

Quote Originally Posted by tarvini
    (Note: I posted the same question on 'Fantomized' but became impatient... I am getting old much too quickly)

Hey... my first post here. No... stay seated.. please.

I'm kinda getting there slowly, but has someone already deciphered the organization and naming scheme for the L-CDX-04 (and like) cd's?

For example, the name 'STR.Vln1 % + dyn' is 'string group, violin#1' (I have no idea about the %), and I'm guessing from the 'dyn' that it velocity-switches somehow. In addition, there are 'patches' named ...V1a, ...V1b, etc, which seem to be decreasingly smaller sample sets (?).

I picked, for better or worse, CDX-03 and 04 as my 'two free CD's' as part of the Fantom XR promo. The samples themselves seem to be pretty good, although it's a bit of a puzzle, figuring out how to import them in the most sensible manner, since lots of the patches seem to contain the same samples, etc (but hey.. I'm not complaining).

If anyone has gone down this road already, I would appreciate any words to the wise. Thanks.
    Geez...didn't Roland include my naming convention key documentation when they repackaged these libraries?!

Brother! That really fries me....

Abbreviations were very necessary to do, because the character limit was only 12 characters on Roland samplers and there's were thousands of sounds we did that needed completely unique names. We developed a very consistent system and enforced it with all third party libraries too.

OK....from memory, here's some of what some of the abbreviations mean:

% always means a mod.wheel crossfade patch.
    + dyn likely means that it also increases the TVA volume for a crescendo

(It wouldn't surprise me if these patches was totally incompatible with Fantom series though....the architecture is completely different compared to the 700 series samplers and the conversion is likely very inaccurate)

v/sw or v/s or just / means a velocity-switching patch

So to translate that particular patch name:

STR.Vln1 % + dyn

would be

Strings - Solo Violin #1 - Mod Wheel Crossfade and Dynamic Crescendo

Quote Originally Posted by scollard
    Unfortunately, it does not explain what '%' and '^' mean. I seem to recall that maybe '%' had something to do with the Mod Wheel...
    % = Mod Wheel Crossfade

^ = Slow Attack/Slow Release

Thanks! This is very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by scollard

e.g., GTR: 6 string 1aS ['1aS' is the 'Patch ID']

The first character is the sound version number. This always indicates a major sound change (different instrument, player, style, pickup, recording method, etc.)

The second character is the patch variation letter. This indicates variation of the same Patch. These utilize the same samples, but with more or less multi-samples. Usually the 'a' variation is the largest.

The third character is the stereo placement indicator. 'S' is only present when true stereo samples have been used. 'M' is mono, and 'D' is detuned mono samples layered to achieve a stereo chorus effect.

Abbreviations & Symbols:
    v/s = Velocity Switch
    v/x = Velocity Crossfade
    + = Mix, Layer, or Additional
    - = Split
    X = Cross
    Alt = Alternate or Alternating"

Not much help, I know. Maybe Eric P. (who programmed some of that stuff ) will see this and chime in.
    Collard

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Geez...didn't Roland include my naming convention key documentation when they repackaged these libraries?!
    Thanks spectrum (I guess I shouldn't reply to everybody in the interest of forum decorum, but, hey... I appreciate your reply + the follow up % ^)

Yes, strangely, all I could find (besides a list of sample filenames) was a legend for the categories, eg:

STR - Strings
    ORC - Orchestra
    ETC...

duh...

PS - You are correct about the sample conversion issues... it's kind of a crapshoot as far as I have been able to tell, but I can at least get aif's (with the loops intact), I think.

PSS - thanks again, I don't feel I conveyed my gratitude quite enough

PSSS - and to everyone else, also
    Last edited by tarvini; 09-15-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added PS

Go Back to forum