• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound On Sound review the entire Hollow Sun CD collection....

Share/Bookmark

Sound On Sound review the entire Hollow Sun CD collection....

Sorry for the blatant plug but as Nick Harvey pointed out elsewhere......

The entire collection of Hollow Sun CDs have received a fantastic review by veteran keyboard player Nick Magnus in the October issue of leading UK magazine 'Sound On Sound'. Nick's been playing for decades as a session player, keyboard player for Steve Hackett (ex-guitarist for Genesis) as well as being a successful composer in his own own right. If anyone knows how these instruments should sound it's Nick!

In his 3-page review, Nick says of the different CDs:

"I found the overall character of these (Tron) samples to be superb. In comparison to my extensive personal collection of Mellotron sounds garnered from numerous sources, this set beat mine hands down for sheer presence and clarity within a mix."

"The quality of these instruments shines through. The CP70 and Mellotron discs are arguably the flagships of the set."

"The PPG, FS1R and M1 CDs are each capable of a producing a vast palette of sounds ... and should provide something for everyone, from bread-and-butter classics to some of the more exotic aspects of wavetable synthesis, FM or S&S stylings."

"The CP70 must be an elusive sound to capture; the sampled renditions of this instrument that I’ve encountered so far seem to lack a certain je ne sais quoi. It’s notable then that Hollow Sun have rendered this amazingly accurate and instantly recognisable representation, which is a real pleasure to play."

"... these are classic PPG sounds, which you can further filter and modulate as you wish."

"... the real inspirational content of this set (FS1R) is to be found amongst the various pads, organs and sound-effects-type textures."

In his summary, Nick concludes:

"A high-quality, well-rounded collection of classic instruments, all of which deserve to become a valued part of any samplist’s armoury. There are plenty of inspiring synth sounds, the Mellotron sounds are as fine as you’ll hear anywhere, and the CP70 is especially outstanding."

If you have an eSub subscription, you read the entire review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Oct0.../hollowsun.htm

Thanks for your patience

Re: Sound On Sound review the entire Hollow Sun CD collection....

That's really great Steve. Congratulations!

It's nice to have your contributions elsewhere on this forum too...thanks.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    That's really great Steve. Congratulations!

It's nice to have your contributions elsewhere on this forum too...thanks.

Rob
    Thank you on both counts.

Congratulations Steve.
    You may remember that I purchased your CP70.... It is a really great instrument (and undoudtedly an unbeatable bang for the bucks !)
    I also have the Mellotronix collection for Eve, which I guess is made out of your Mellotron samples, and this is really a fine collection too.
    ---
    Besides, each time I contacted you, I got fast, personalized, human, and friendly answers (so many "big companies' so-called "supports" are so far away from this, it's like a good breath of air in the outer space)
    ---
    So what else to say ?
    Those years are definitely very beneficial to the users base, with more and more friendly developers who have a "low-cost-but-hi-quality-quality-products" policy.
    ----
    Keep up the good work, and I wish you all the success you deserve !

Just got my copy of SOS and it's really cool to see your products getting that kind of recognition on an international scale. Many of us have known you and your work for some time and what Nick writes in his article has been rather bleedin' obvious to us for ages.

So hats off to you, and lets hope this spreads the awareness.

Top work mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Akai Roberto
    Just got my copy of SOS and it's really cool to see your products getting that kind of recognition on an international scale. Many of us have known you and your work for some time and what Nick writes in his article has been rather bleedin' obvious to us for ages.

So hats off to you, and lets hope this spreads the awareness.

Top work mate.
    Thanks Rob

And thanks to you too Sirbellog for your kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowsun

And thanks to you too Sirbellog for your kind comments.
    You're welcome, Steve,
    I really enjoy your CP70 (and the extra keyboards on the cd too, mainly the Wurly EP203, which stands in its own right, and is more IMO than just a "bonus")
    ---
    BTW,
    I just purchased and received "Nostalgia" that, I believe, you made for Zero-G, and even though I' not a synth history expert, I do enjoy this wide "palette" of sounds which, so far (I have 50% left to discover....), are well done and sound good.
    Keep up the good work !

Not wanting to take attention away from the CD collection, but I've also just recieved Nostalgia and it's simply wonderful! As the previous poster has stated there's a massive palette of sounds here, and it's all sampled and programmed beautifully and sounds very, very awesome - I think I might have to treat myself to the rest of the collection as an early Christmas present

Yes, Nostalgia is a blinding bit of kit and worth every penny. I just find it strange to have these sounds as a VST and not have to fire up my S6000 to use them. Strange but good

Top work yet again Steve

Go Back to forum