• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO/Finale (Mac) Questions

Share/Bookmark

GPO/Finale (Mac) Questions

Greetings,

My new dual G5 should arrive tomorrow, and so I have some questions with regards to OSX (Tiger), GPO and Finale:

I purchased GPO during the group buy a couple of months ago, so I have "the full version", as opposed to the "light version" included with Finale 2006. The version of Finale I use is version 2005b.

Will I be missing out on any GPO functionality by not upgrading to Finale 2006, and sticking with 2005b? I have other questions, but they all depend on the answer to this above question.

Thanks!

Re: GPO/Finale (Mac) Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Greetings,

Will I be missing out on any GPO functionality by not upgrading to Finale 2006, and sticking with 2005b? I have other questions, but they all depend on the answer to this above question.

Thanks!
    You can certainly keep using 2005 with GPO Studio on your new toy. But huge improvements have been made in 2006. Make sure you have the latest GPO update also.

Read Robert Pièchaud's post in this thread.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35718

With 2006 you should use the new "notation" folder of GPO. Keyswitching is done automatically. Slurs in Finale now use the correct legato playback in GPO. You can use both GPO legato and standard piano legato simultaneously with this notation version. That's something you still can't do with full GPO in other sequencers/notation programs. The only thing missing now is the ability to save the audio file. That should be coming soon in a Finale 2006 maintenence update. If you need to save audio right away, a shareware app. WIRETAP is a good one.

Have fun,
    Jeff

Jeff,

Okay, that extensive thread answers many of my questions. I guess I'll have to spring for the 2006 version after all. Here are more questions:

1) Is there any kind of discount for owners of GPO in the price to upgrade to Finale 2006 from 2005b?

2) Is it true that there's also a discount for GPO owners that will buy the Big Band Collection? If so, may I have a url for that info?

3) Since I'm an owner of the Full version of GPO, would I need to keep the Finale "lite" version on my computer as well? If so, why?

4) My intent is to use GPO both in Finale 2006 and Logic Pro on the Mac. Will setting up GPO for use in Finale in any way mess up my ability to use it in Logic Pro as an Audio Unit?

Thanks!

Some answers:

1. The discount for Finale 2006 is for owners of Finale 2005. The discount has a time limit on it and expires soon. Contact MakeMusic for details. I'm not sure if there's a Finale 2006 discount for GPO owners.

2. As far as I know there's no additional discount for the JBB library for Finale owners.

3. Most of the instruments in GPO/Finale Lite are already in GPO, but here's why Tom Hopkins suggests installing both versions of GPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The GPO Finale Edition is *almost* a subset of the full "Notation" folder. The exceptions are in the solo strings. In the GPO Finale Edition the Violin Solo KS1, Viola Solo KS, Cello Solo KS, and Bass Solo KS contain some special tremolo programming specifically tailored to Finale's Human Playback and not present in the solo strings of the full "Notation" folder at this time. Also, Violin Solo KS2 only exists in the GPO Finale Edition (it does not have a counterpart in the full "Notation" folder or the standard GPO.) It was specially constructed to allow string quartet pieces to be written in Finale. I recommend that both versions be installed so that the user has access to all solo string choices. Only the solo string choices in the GPO Finale Edition take full advantage of HP.
    4. I don't have any experience with Logic Pro, so I don't know. But I really wouldn't expect Finale to cause any problems.

There are some midi problems with Finale 2006. One of the complaints is that you can't use GPO and other midi gear at the same time. I remember reading also about someone having problems using routing Finale thru Logic. I don't use Logic so I didn't pay much attention to that thread. Go to the Finale forum and search for Logic. I'm sure you'll be able to find out there exactly what problems occur.

Hope this helps a little,
    Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for your replies. I think you misunderstood me when you said:
    2. As far as I know there's no additional discount for the JBB library for Finale owners.
    I was asking if there's a discount for owners of GPO when purchasing the JBB library. Finale had nothing to do with that question.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    I was asking if there's a discount for owners of GPO when purchasing the JBB library. Finale had nothing to do with that question.
    There is. $25 or $50, I can't remember the exact amount. You should contact Gary about this.

I was hoping that he would respond to this thread, but I guess I'll have to contact him via PM. Thanks.

I'd use e-mail . It's the direct link to Gary; he wouldn't miss that.

Go Back to forum