• Register
  • Help

Topic: 'Szymanowski' Theory/Harmony papers/book

Share/Bookmark

'Szymanowski' Theory/Harmony papers/book

This may not be the most appropriate forum for this subject, but after trying a couple others, this particular site seems to be visited by more knowledgable participants than most.

I'm looking for either a book, reference material or papers on the Harmony and/or Theory of the 20th century Polish composer Szymanowski.

-- atonal

Re: 'Szymanowski' Theory/Harmony papers/book

Check out UMI, or look online for dissertations

Try http://scholar.google.com/
    75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Quote Originally Posted by atonal
    looking for either a book, reference material or papers on the Harmony and/or Theory of the 20th century Polish composer Szymanowski.
    -- atonal
    I listen to a fair bit of Szymanowski, and wasn't aware that he had any particular theory. If he wrote anything theoretical, it's unlikely to be available except in Polish. It's only in the last 15 years that much of his music has been available on recordings outside Poland. I would suggest just buying one of his scores and settling down with it.

Quote Originally Posted by atonal
    This may not be the most appropriate forum for this subject, but after trying a couple others, this particular site seems to be visited by more knowledgable participants than most.

I'm looking for either a book, reference material or papers on the Harmony and/or Theory of the 20th century Polish composer Szymanowski.

-- atonal
    Maybe this is what you are looking for:
    Karol Szymanowski: Szymanowski on Music, Selected Writings of Karol Szymanowski

As far as I know it is still available in the bookstore.

I second what Rick says. Years ago, I fell in love with Szymanowski's Third Symphony. I wanted to figure out what made it work, so I transcribed large sections of it for piano, and played them over and over. If there's a better way to figure out the inner workings of a score, I'd like to know what it is.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thumbs up Re: 'Szymanowski' Theory/Harmony papers/book

I'm not able to help on this topic, but I want to report that in the web, a lot of information is available, in English, with reference to some analytic bibliography in English (seems to include his language study and description).

Anyway because of the big number of influences his style seems to be not based on a single theory, but evolving from late romantic to impressionist and free '900 language work after work.

Go Back to forum