• Register
  • Help

Topic: General Question about notation programs

Share/Bookmark

General Question about notation programs

Hi there... My notation needs are very simplistic... As a result, I use Cakewalk Sonar's notation... The problem is that the space between notes is extremely large... So, I'm doing a piece which basically has 16th note arpeggio throughout, meaning sixteen notes per bar... As a result of this, I'm getting 2 bars to a page, in landscape, which is not very efficient... I know one person who has sibelius and he told me in those cases, he can get about 3 bars to a page... I really want to get 6 bars to a page, landscape, it doesn't have to look beautiful... In word processing, the term is kerning when you want to change the space between letters... From your experience with your particular notation program, can you change the note kerning and note size, so that you have 6 measures across a page, with each measure having 16 notes... I hope that this message is not confusing... However, you will think I"m crazy...

Re: General Question about notation programs

It's possible to lay out measures any way you want in Finale. I think it's also possible in PrintMusic, which is the entry-level version of Finale (and costs $60 or something). It is not possible in NotePad, the free program in the Finale line, so don't bother with it.

I don't use Sibelius, but I would be very surprised if this turned out not to be possible in it. I'm sure Overture also has this capability.

"Kerning" is not the term we use, by the way. It's just "spacing."
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Trying to cram that many measures of 16th notes per page with "spacing" could get pretty crowded, especially if you have accidentals along the way. In this case you would also want to reduce the font size so that the notes and staves are reduced proportionally and won't look so crowded. Any of the above-mentioned notation packages (except for the Finale "freebie") should be able to do this for you. Sonar is a great product, and I use it myself, but it's limited notation function is a long-standing issue with many users - maybe one day...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Hi there... My notation needs are very simplistic... As a result, I use Cakewalk Sonar's notation... The problem is that the space between notes is extremely large... So, I'm doing a piece which basically has 16th note arpeggio throughout, meaning sixteen notes per bar... As a result of this, I'm getting 2 bars to a page, in landscape, which is not very efficient... I know one person who has sibelius and he told me in those cases, he can get about 3 bars to a page... I really want to get 6 bars to a page, landscape, it doesn't have to look beautiful... In word processing, the term is kerning when you want to change the space between letters... From your experience with your particular notation program, can you change the note kerning and note size, so that you have 6 measures across a page, with each measure having 16 notes... I hope that this message is not confusing... However, you will think I"m crazy...
    Well, Cakewalk notes that they are not a full featured notation program. Actually, they are pretty bad at notation, great otherwise. Sibelius is a very good notation program, and so is Finale, but they are expensive. I have tried Overture 4 demo, which seems okay, and cost is decent. You can download the demo from GenieSoft

http://geniesoft.com/

It can be used for 15 days, at which time a wooden stake is driven into it's heart.

Richard

I'm not sure if Noteworthy Composer has this feature, but the spacing isn't as bad as you describe. It's only $40 with a downloadable trial version available here: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/evaluate.htm
    In Sonar, you can just not display the track with the sixteenths for a quick and dirty fix.

Hope this helps,
    -Chris

Hi folks, thanks for your replies... I have a note to the people at Noteworthy composer, to see what they tell me, and I'll check out Printmusic as well... Basically at this time, these scores are for me, so that when I input them into Sonar, I can look at them and remember what I did... I'll let you know what I wind up using...

Go Back to forum