• Register
  • Help

Topic: Latency is killing me!

Share/Bookmark

Latency is killing me, but...Mystery Solved!

My daughter and I did some recording Monday night and latency was bearable - tried to record tonight with same settings - Sonar - buffering size all the way to the left (Fast) - turned on the metronome and her fingers tried to stay with it but the sound was just to much off. Tried restarting Sonar and latency still there.

One of the reasons for getting GPO was so she could use the piano at night without me having to set up mics - mess with sound checks and pray for no telephones or sounds. But if I can't figure it out then I'll have to use the Kawai and then fill in with GPO instruments. Bummer.

I know latency is an issue but it wasn't the other night - what changes?

After reading the tips the other day here I now have good levels - no clippings, individual GPO's for effects, etc. was pumped up and ready to go and then latency kills it all!

Frustrated. Any thoughts?

I'm a project huh?

Thanks - I'm going to bed

Re: Latency is killing me!

Yes, I had the same problem. In the GPO manual, page 43, it explains that when you use a keyboard for recording with GPO studio, you need to have a soundcard that has ASIO outputs. If it does not, p43 gives you a place where you can download one for free.
    What it does is cuts down the latency so that when you play and record, the latency is so small, that you don't even notice it.
    If you want to buy a great soundcard that has a latency ASIO driver built into it ...I invested in a great soundcard by M-Audio, called "Audiophile 2496". Here in Australia it cost me $ 240, a lot but worth it. If you are in the US, I'm pretty sure it will be a lot less. But of course, if you download the free driver mentioned in the GPO manual, you may not need this at all.
    You just have to know how to set up your system with the soundcard. Usually the sequencer you use explains how to do this in the manual that comes with it. Again, p43 gives details of this also.
    Hope this helps you out. There are others on the forum who are much nore knowledgeable about this than I am, hope they also jump in to help you out with more advice than I can give you.

Yes, do try switching the "Driver Mode" on the Option|Audio...|Advanced dialog page. If ASIO doesn't work for your sound card, then WDM/KS just might: I get 10ms with the vanilla soundcard that came with my PC via WDM drivers.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by AVBunyan
    My daughter and I did some recording Monday night and latency was bearable - tried to record tonight with same settings - Sonar - buffering size all the way to the left (Fast) - turned on the metronome and her fingers tried to stay with it but the sound was just to much off. Tried restarting Sonar and latency still there.

One of the reasons for getting GPO was so she could use the piano at night without me having to set up mics - mess with sound checks and pray for no telephones or sounds. But if I can't figure it out then I'll have to use the Kawai and then fill in with GPO instruments. Bummer.

I know latency is an issue but it wasn't the other night - what changes?

After reading the tips the other day here I now have good levels - no clippings, individual GPO's for effects, etc. was pumped up and ready to go and then latency kills it all!

Frustrated. Any thoughts?

I'm a project huh?

Thanks - I'm going to bed

Well, I use Sonar, and when I use GPO with Sonar and my Midi Controller Keyboard, I set latency at 5 ms, sometimes 7 ms; buffers at 512, using the asio control in GPO, either stand alone or studio. The only time I need to change this is when I run the GPO pipe organ with a bunch of tracks. Try this, and I can't imagine any trouble with your daughter's playing. Probably it would just as well doing the same thing, but using the stand alone version of GPO. The advantage to using it with Sonar (for me) is that I can control the reverb easier using the Cakewalk FxReverb plug-in. You did not mention if you were using VST, DXi, or Studio versions of GPO. With Sonar, the best choice is VST.

My sound card nothing fancy, just Audigy 2Z X, gives me no trouble since I updated drivers much earlier this year.

Richard

Thanks for the responses gang - I should have mentioned my settings and setup:

Intel 2.8, 1.5 gb ram, M-Audiophile 24/96, latest drivers, WDM/KS mode, buffers 128 - DXI as opposed to VST

All of your suggestions are good - should have tried the ASIO but it was late and I was wore out a bit. Will also try Richard's suggestion and play with the buffering and the VST.

Good to see Steve and Richard using simple cards like mine and getting good sounds from them. This is encouraging to me - there is hope

I was thinking of upgrading to a LynxOne or Presonus Firebox for I want to do more audio recording (son's flute, my acoustic guitar, etc.) and want to get bit better A/D convertors and preamp. But since I'm hoping to use GPO more then it appears that the preamp (AudioBuddy) will not be an issue and the A/D convertors in the Audiophile 24/96 may be fine. Is my thinking sound here? I'm all ears.

On a positive note - again after reading the responses to an earlier thread I started here on some problems I was having (due to inexperience) I was excited that I think they have been worked out - Before I actually started recording last night I learned to set up some great templates (thanks to the Sonar tutorial here), worked with my recording levels (thanks to some good advice here) and learned to set up individual GPOs so I can have individual effects tracks for my solo instruments and was getting lovely reverbs from the Pantheon and delays from the Sonitus which made the brass and violins sound alive and rich. I like the Ambience and was using it some before I got GPO but the Patheon and Sonitus effects really sound nice with GPO.

So, I had learned a lot and was ready for "bear" last night and then the latency - but that's ok - you folks stepped in and gave some more sound advice and I'll go at it again tonight and let you folks know how it went.

Love GPO - love this forum

God bless

Mystery Solved!

Mystery solved!!!

Weird template - the template I set up that night was the "bad guy" - not exactly sure why yet - but that was the problem. I figured that if I started from scratch then it would be fine and sure 'nuf - Now, I haven't yet figured out what it was but I think it had to do with the mutiple GPOs I had set up.

But thanks to all for the input. Your input was great and got me to think the basics. I do IT/Application support for a large company(strangely enough) and I've learned one basic thing - if it used to work and then stopped working something changed in the software if all the "hardware" settings (latency, buffers, drivers, etc.) didn't change. The difference was the new template.

Again thanks to all - learned a lot.

Great forum - great folks!

God bless

Go Back to forum