• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: can someone point me in the direction of a good 88key midi controller(hammer action)

Share/Bookmark

can someone point me in the direction of a good 88key midi controller(hammer action)

I really tired of trying to play the piano on a Roland XP-80 the thing does't feel like a piano doens't behave like a piano, the keys are way to sensitive i guess it's semi hammer action or something. So looking for a very realistic feel and playing style 88key midi controller. Even an older one would do just so it feels like I am playing a piano when I use say PMI Bos290 sample lib.
    Thanks!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Re: can someone point me in the direction of a good 88key midi controller(hammer action)

lol answering my own reply
    never mind i found a Yamaha KX88 Yes!

Re: can someone point me in the direction of a good 88key midi controller(hammer action)

Might want to check this one out. I've heard they are very good, and not too pricey.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...9510?src=01350

Personally I found the CM8 to feel quite cheap. I tested it at Sam Ash last week-end and I really didn't like it. Overall the quality of the keys, faders and knobs feels very cheap to me. Even the hammer action didn't quite feel right. I use the M-Audio Pro 88 which is also cheap....but in comparison it feels slightly less cheap to me than the CM8 (the Pro 88 is also about $100 less).
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

come on you guys don't you know about the KX 88? Yamaha doesn't even make them anymore which is beyond sad. I don't think there is a better full scale hammer action, with piano feel, midi controller, the KX 88.
    Once you have tried one you'll want one.
    Plus they are built to last I know of few people that taken the things across the world and back and still works great, there work horses. There also heavey LOL!

Try a Yamaha S-08
    It's a synthesizer, but I think it has really nice action.

Re: can someone point me in the direction of a good 88key midi controller(hammer acti

Yeah we know about the KX-88, oit was a pretty good board in its time. For new gear I've been quite happy with the Yamaha P60 stage piano. The sound is lame through the built in speakers(good enough for Hanon), but the action is quite good. It's not as light as the Rolands I've played and it's quick and responsive. All in all not bad for a practice and tracking instrument.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.audiostreet.net/stevechandler
    http://www.soundclick.com/stevechandler

Re: can someone point me in the direction of a good 88key midi controller(hammer acti

Quote Originally Posted by pantonality
    Yeah we know about the KX-88, oit was a pretty good board in its time. For new gear I've been quite happy with the Yamaha P60 stage piano. The sound is lame through the built in speakers(good enough for Hanon), but the action is quite good. It's not as light as the Rolands I've played and it's quick and responsive. All in all not bad for a practice and tracking instrument.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.audiostreet.net/stevechandler
    http://www.soundclick.com/stevechandler
    Personally I still like the Fatar action in my Kurzweil PC88. You can get the same action in Fatar's Studiologic series. They are affordable and seemingly more sturdy than the M-Audio IMHO.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

lame I missed out on the damn KX88 !
    ok yea i was checking out Fatar and Yama P60 digital piano.
    I see you can get the Fatar Studiologic SL880Pro for pretty cheap but I have read some reviews on it and some people complain about it being to weighted, meaining they tire out there hands or something*maybe there weak*
    I'll have to go shop around a play a few to get a better idea I think.
    What do you think of the SL880Pro. hammer action apparently has hammers inside the controller even.

The KX88 is pretty good, but some of them get spongey over time.

I think the weighted Fatar mechanism (as found in the Kurzweil K2500 and 2600) is fine. Not great, but perfectly playable. Whatever Korg, Yamaha, and Roland are selling these days is bound to be fine as well.

As I've posted before, my favorite weighted keyboard is the Kurzweil K250, but they got too expensive to maintain. I have two retired K250s in my garage.

That M-Audio one Kays mentions is pretty good. It seemed a little bouncy when I tried it at Summer NAMM, but it's fine.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast