• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help with MIDI locks, please

Share/Bookmark

Need help with MIDI locks, please

Yesterday we switched to running GigaStudio (3.12beta) as a standalone program. We were previously running GigaStudio and Cubase SX3 together on a single computer using Rewire mode. We're now running Cubase on a separate computer, so that GigaStudio can run by itself.

Since making that change we are now getting midi locks ("stuck notes"). The midi locks happen only when a keyboard is attached via MIDI. They occur regardless of whether the keyboard is attached to the second computer (the one running Cubase, connected via a Midisport 2x4), or attached directly to the Frontier Design Sierra that is slaved to the Dakota card in the computer that runs GigaStudio.

The midi locks do not happen when the Cubase computer is sending MIDI data to the Giga computer WITHOUT a keyboard attached.

We tried different keyboards and it happens with all of them, so we don't think the problem is with the keyboard. We swapped the MIDI cables for known good cables, but with no change.

We are now in the process of installing the new release version of Giga 3.12 -- but I don't think that is likely to solve the problem.

We have a session scheduled to start in 3 hours, and we need to be able to use Giga. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Aloha,
    --jt
    justin thyme

Re: Need help with MIDI locks, please

Quote Originally Posted by justin thyme
    Yesterday we switched to running GigaStudio (3.12beta) as a standalone program. We were previously running GigaStudio and Cubase SX3 together on a single computer using Rewire mode. We're now running Cubase on a separate computer, so that GigaStudio can run by itself.

Since making that change we are now getting midi locks ("stuck notes"). The midi locks happen only when a keyboard is attached via MIDI. They occur regardless of whether the keyboard is attached to the second computer (the one running Cubase, connected via a Midisport 2x4), or attached directly to the Frontier Design Sierra that is slaved to the Dakota card in the computer that runs GigaStudio.

The midi locks do not happen when the Cubase computer is sending MIDI data to the Giga computer WITHOUT a keyboard attached.

We tried different keyboards and it happens with all of them, so we don't think the problem is with the keyboard. We swapped the MIDI cables for known good cables, but with no change.

We are now in the process of installing the new release version of Giga 3.12 -- but I don't think that is likely to solve the problem.

We have a session scheduled to start in 3 hours, and we need to be able to use Giga. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Aloha,
    --jt
    Nothing that will solve your problem now, but I have had nothing but problems with Midisports. They are absolute rubbish as far as I'm concerned and the drivers are always years out of date. In the long term I would look for another "MIDI hub".

D

Re: Need help with MIDI locks, please - now we're crashing with GigaPulse!

Installing the 3.12.0.2322 patch apparently fixed our midi lock problem. (And the Midisport 2x4 is working fine -- but thanks for the advice, we will begin shopping for a replacement, probably another Frontier Dakota card.)

But now our system crashes whenever we attempt to load a GigaPulse effect. (GigaPulse was working fine previously.) Here's what's happening:

When a GigaPulse effect is selected and entered, an error window pops up instantly. We cannot read that window because a second error window pops up over it in a flash, blocking the text of the first error window before it can be read. The second window can be moved, but the space where it covered the first window is left blank and we can't see the text of the error message in the first window. The second window says "GS3 has encountered an error and must be shut down," etc. The module name is gpulseencoder.dll.

We printed the log but could not save it. I have scanned the printout and can send by private mail to anyone who wants to see it.

One tech support person suggested that the problem may be related to the fact that we updated to 3.12.0.2322 from the earlier 3.12.2307 beta version. It was suggested that we restore the system to the version just before we installed 3.12.2307, and then try the 3.12.0.2322 patch again.

We just restored to the pre-3.12.2307 version. Windows would not allow us to log on to the computer using the usual username. We successfully logged on using "Administrator" as the username. Now there is no desktop shortcut for GigaStudio and there is no file named gstudio.exe in the Tascam folder. So we tried to find the file using "search" -- and we found it in c:\program files\tascam\Gstudio. (It does not show up when we try to run it using Start/All Programs/Tascam/GigaStudio 3.)

Anyway, we ran gstudio.exe by double-clicking the file we had located with "search." It loaded so now we are temporarily back to version 3.10.2270. We are now connecting to the Tascam server to download the 3.12.0.2322 patch again.

Meanwhile, any suggestions or troubleshooting help will be appreciated.

--jt
    justin thyme

Re: Need help with MIDI locks, please

Never mind -- we solved everything and the studio session went wonderfully, with no midi locks and no problems with GigaPulse. The result was happy clients, a very happy studio engineer, and some fabulous soundtrack material written by Stephen Fox for a new Tom Coffman/Anagram film. (A segment of the project, "The First Battle," will air at 8:30 tonight HST on Oceanic 16 in case any Hawaii folks are lurking. I don't think any of today's work will make it into that segment, but it's an interesting film anyway.)

The fix was: restore back to GigaStudio Orchestra 3.04, then download and install the 3.12.0.2322 patch. Voila!

Thanks, all, for your support and good wishes.

Aloha,
    --jt
    justin thyme

Go Back to forum