• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Experimental Piece

Share/Bookmark

Experimental Piece

Hi All

I wrote this little piece many moons ago as an exercise in writing "program" music on another forum. A rather obscene title was given and participants were expected to paint a little musical story around it. I won't repeat the title here, although I simply use the French translation of it, which sounds quite a bit more elegant. It's very short and I tried my best to mix it properly. I hope some of you might find it interesting and perhaps amusing .....

La Lueur Violette du Derrière de l'Ange

Thanks for listening.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Re: Experimental Piece

After translating the title and reading your explanation, this is not what I was expecting to hear at all! This is beautiful! Your phrasing on the solo oboe is superb along with the wind blending before the new section. I really enjoyed hearing this piece. Thanks for sharing it.

Best,
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Wonderful …!

I especially liked the slow movement flow . ...The lush sustaining strings create a timely epic quality.

Very nice!

jeff

Louis, I love this!!! It covers a broad range of emotions, colors and styles. The oboe phrasing is gorgeous and the final chords reminded me of Bruckner. Your mix was quite good too. Everything seemed natural. BTW, who dreamt up that title. If they were looking for something challanging to set to music, they found it.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thanks to Drumroll and Jeff for listening (and liking it... ) It was quite fun at the time to write this.

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Louis, I love this!!! It covers a broad range of emotions, colors and styles. The oboe phrasing is gorgeous and the final chords reminded me of Bruckner. Your mix was quite good too. Everything seemed natural. BTW, who dreamt up that title. If they were looking for something challanging to set to music, they found it.
    Bill
    Thanks Bill. I can't remember exactly who came up with that title, but the discussion was about how a title will affect the expectations and emotions of the listener, not to mention the musical interpretation of the composer. There is one other member of this forum who took part. Everyone came up with something completely and utterly different of course. Just goes to show....

I did a search and found Trent's composition on this title. I hope he doesn't mind if I link it here . http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...light=lavender

Kind Regards

LouisD

LouisD What a great piece, thanks for sharing, so many different emotions are in this piece, really loved the oboe part, and all the last section was amazing. I love to hear ur music thanks for sharing

Regards Chris

Thumbs up Re: Experimental Piece

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

The first section was so beautiful!! GREAT woodwind work! I loved all the moving notes.
    The second half was a little unexpected, but a nice surprise. The last note of the piece seemed a little sudden, like your ideas should have been expanded more, but I really don't know since I'm not that great of a composer. It just sounded a little sudden for my ears.

GREAT JOB!!!!
    -Chris

Thumbs up Re: Experimental Piece

Very beautiful,
    A lot of emotion inside!!!

You did a notably job here.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best regards,
    Roberto

Very nice work again Louis. I liked the clever transition into the unexpected second half @1:45......like an awakening. The ending, starting at 2:58 was also unexpected. The trumpets, throughout, sound very poor to my ears.....maybe different phrasing and controller work could help or perhaps those need to be redone when 'advanced' comes out!

You certainly turn out some lovely stuff Louis. When I saw the 'experimental' in the thread title I wasn't sure what to expect.

Keep up the good work.

Frank

Thank you Chris, and Chris , Roberto and Frank, for taking the time to listen. I agree that this is not a usual kind of piece. It had to be 'unexpected' and short, hence the completely odd sections.

Frank, you're quite right about the trumpets, in fact all of the brass is not well done in this piece. I admit, I'm rather ignorant about brass instruments, so yes, I need to work on improving not only writing for brass, but also using the samples....

Thanks Everyone.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast