• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Need input: VSL Horizon solo strings.

Share/Bookmark

Cool Need input: VSL Horizon solo strings.

Just need some input to help me with this decision

Horizen series VSL solo strings is on sale till tomorrow I believe. I am still debating if I need to get this, Its under $350, which is the most I can spend now, and it's about 35gigs(huge). But again, I need help in deciding if I really need this, or is this an over kill. I am looking for extremely convincing string sounds, I am talking about the type of sound that you can actually feel the effect of the bow against the strings. That almost nasal sound. I've checked out all the VSL demos, and they sound pretty impressive, but again these are done by real Pro's, and so its hard to tell if I may be able to achieve such performance, but none the less these are the libs that I have. I am looking to add this to my Gigastudio computer. I know GOS is nice, but its a little more than I want to spend (But I am sure its worth every penny)

Orchestral/string libs

Sequencing/ kontakt computer
    GPO, EWQL (Silver and Gold),
    Plus I just ordered the Kontakt 2 upgrade, which should give me some VSL stuff.

GS3 computer
    Kirk hunter (Virtuoso series, as well as solo stings)
    Plus the libs that come with GS3

(Anybody know whatever happend to Kirk Hunter site. All my kirk hunter bookmarks show up as bogus, and I did a search on Yahoo and cannot find their site. Is this company out of business or something, I have no Idea)

Thanks in advance for any input

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Need input: VSL Horizon solo strings.

The VSL solo strings are extremely nice. I think you would be quite pleased with what you can do with them on any level. I can't imagine doing without them--I use them quite literally all the time. They're recorded with extreme presence and clarity, and can be used in almost any genre you choose with very good results. Last year, I did a wacked-out Texas Swing thing with them, and it came out great.

WEll there you have it from a pro and as a keen amateur/hobbyist I can also highly recommend the Solo Strings which I got as soon as the summer sale started (I was going to get them anyway so the sale came along at the right time). They are beautiful sounding samples and yes they have that intimate bow against string sound especially in the loud samples. I was completely blown away by the pizzicato set especially the bass. Sounds like enormous heavenly bells.

And the $ per sample ratio is fantastic - don't miss out.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7
    (Anybody know whatever happend to Kirk Hunter site. All my kirk hunter bookmarks show up as bogus, and I did a search on Yahoo and cannot find their site. Is this company out of business or something, I have no Idea)
    Looks like there’s a problem with Alexander Publishing’s website. www.kirkhunter.com – which I believe is the website Alexander Publishing set up for Kirk’s Concert Series libraries – is down as are www.alexanderpublishing.com and www.truespec.com . Kirk’s personal website www.kirkhunterstudios.com is still up, though.

/Yoss

I got the Violin and Cello solo strings as part of the Pro Edition. I didn't think that I would have that much use for them, but have now found that to be totally inaccurate. So much so that I have now purchased the Horizon Solo Strings, just to get a solo Viola (what a thought, although I guess that it will save on air conditioning bills).

D

I assume this 30% off sale is to clear the sheves for something new. Anyone know just what that is?

Dunno, but I've got 24 hours to make up my mind if I'm going to get the Solo Strings or not. Or the Epic Horns? Or the Chamber Strings? Decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Dunno, but I've got 24 hours to make up my mind if I'm going to get the Solo Strings or not. Or the Epic Horns? Or the Chamber Strings? Decisions decisions.
    Get the Epic Horns if it's a choice.

Something new? I imagine all sample libraries are planning something new - probably a lot to do with The Cube. There have been many polls taken at VSL for instruments - for example things like the Bass Flute, Bb Trumpets etc.

Strings are the most interest to me personally - can they make them dirty and imperfect enough? That is the question.

The Solo String library is tremendously good - good for layering to - for that extra bit of bow scraping sound.

Its the $ per Gig ratio that's leaning me toward the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Its the $ per Gig ratio that's leaning me toward the strings.
    The Chamber Strings? They are very good and a must for me - personal choices aside of course. But more expensive than Epic Horns right?

I guarantee you will use Epic Horns a lot. Whether that's necessarily a good thing or not - I dunno. They sound ridiculously good anywhere in a mix to me. Almost too easy to use - makes for lazy writing sometimes.

Go Back to forum