• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Clicking noise on 2nd violins sus+short

Share/Bookmark

Clicking noise on 2nd violins sus+short

I hear a fairly audible, repeatable clicking sound on the Vlns 2 sus+short sample for Middle C. Turn the volume up, lay on a Middle C, and you should hear a click about 7 seconds into the sound. The clicking continues as the sample continues to loop.

I have gotten around this by substituting a 1st violins sample for that particular note, but I just thought I would let you know and make sure the problem is not specific to me. Thanks.

Chris

Re: Clicking noise on 2nd violins sus+short

Sorry, I don't hear your clicking. Just tried to recreate it in the standalone player with my headphones. No clicking.

I had a similar problem with non-vibrato solo flute. Never got a response on how to get rid of it, and I ended up changing to a different flute even though NV flute had the precise sound I wanted.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    I had a similar problem with non-vibrato solo flute. Never got a response on how to get rid of it, and I ended up changing to a different flute even though NV flute had the precise sound I wanted.

I've had a similar problem with the horns; if I pan them all to the left, it goes away. Have you tried a that - different panning?

R. Pearl

Can I ask, for those of who who hear clicking, and those who don't, which soundcards do you use? I'm interested to know because it seems to be only a fraction of us GPO users who can hear clicking and artefacts, and the others who don't, believe it's a settings or hardware-associated problem.

I use M-audio FW410, and on headphones, can hear definite clicking at the loops for most (all) of the mention patches.

It's been mentioned before in this forum, that M-audio's DAC (digital to Audio Convertors) are brighter sounding than most others, which could be the reason the clicking is only audible to some of us.

I have found a solution to the clicking loops, but you'll need to have the full version of Kontakt to do this. You just need to add a small value (about 50) to X-fade for the affected notes in the loop editor (within the full version of Kontakt). This completely eliminates the clicking on my system. However, I think this can only be done one at a time, and can be rather tedious.

After editing, I recommend you save the new patch to a different directory, so that you can always retrieve the original settings.

Note: I did this on Kontakt version 1.5.3. Apparently, this does not work wellon Kontakt version2. Please refer to the sticky in this forum here http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36092

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    I've had a similar problem with the horns; if I pan them all to the left, it goes away. Have you tried a that - different panning?
    I haven't, but I'll certainly try it if I run into it in the future (in this particular case, panning it too far out of center would make it sound unbalanced, as the only other instrument playing is a harpsichord accompaniment).

sub_circuit: I'm using an M-Audio Delta 1010LT. I don't think it's related to the soundcard, though; as you can see here, when I bounce the GPO output to a track (an operation independent of the soundcard), there's definitely a non-random waveform being generated at the location of the clicks. Plus, it's clearly audible on everything I've played it through: the Delta 1010LT with powered monitors, an Audigy2 with generic computer speakers, HD280 headphones with either of the soundcards, my car stereo, the little piezoelectric element on my PDA...
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Hi Jeff, I tried the Flute Solo NV patch as mentioned in your other post. I'm not sure where the problem lies, whether it's clicking in a particular note/sample, or if it's a rendering error... but I can't hear it on my system. Have you tried setting your ASIO buffer to 512 or higher during rendering?

I think "clicking" is like an urban legend to some folks here. Some people just don't hear the clicks. I suspect it's related the type of soundcards we're using - brighter DAC's let you hear the high's better.

Luckily for me, there is a solution for clicking loops.

I've never had any clicking problems on my system with GPO since the beginning.

At winter NAMM, Tom Hopkins loaded some sounds and sequences for demos of the Jazz and Big Band library. One of the sounds had a click. We changed the panning and the click went away. I've never ran into this on my own so it was weird to run into it. I haven't noticed it since NAMM either. It appears that it may have been related to something in his sequence as I loaded in the same instruments from scratch at home and didn't encounter it. We both were using the same version of Sonar although he has a different soundcard. Which lead us to believe that the clicking issues are related to different soundcards. Weird!!

Angry Re: Clicking noise on 2nd violins sus+short

Okay, here we go. This is an MP3 of a project I've been working on this weekend. I've tried panning the instruments around, but that just causes the clicks just happen at different times. Interestingly, the exported version has them in different places than when I'm playing it within SONAR. In this incarnation, they occur at 00:02, 00:39, 01:14, and possibly 02:33, but that one's very faint.

And here is the project file. I'd be grateful if a couple of SONAR 4 users could download it and try it out to see if they also get clicking (it could very well be my system, so I'd like to narrow it down a bit).

Given that exporting the file doesn't go through the soundcard (as far as I know), I still tend to doubt that that's the culprit. But I could always be mistaken.
    -- Jeff Lee

Hi Jeff,

I could hear the clip at 00:02 in your mp3. However, I couldn't hear clicking or clipping at the other times.

I loaded the sonar file, but the wav files and other effects were missing, so I could only hear the actual output from GPO. I compared the mp3 and the playback, and I could hear no clipping or clicking at all.

I suspect the culprit to be your audio effects plugins. Have you tried bypassing the SIR1008 (btw, the latest version is now 1010) and other audio plugins?

~Ray

Go Back to forum