• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need suggestions...

Share/Bookmark

Need suggestions...

I've always hated cubase, and always was a fan of cakewalk.. Well, now I really dont want either.. Can someone direct me to a no BS sequencer? The least pretty thing there, no bells or whistles, it can be black and white for all I care, I just would like to have something thats not a pain in the ~~~!! Cakewalk looks all pretty now, with pretty colors and a flashy look, and it's worthless so far.. I cannot get samplers to work with cakewalk anymore.. No I don't want to troubleshoot anymore, I just want suggestions that I can go try out, the first one that works gets my money... Thanks in advance

Re: Need suggestions...

Tracktion or Orion if you're looking for something very different from the two you mention.

A software without quirks?!

… is there such a thing?

Wandering through various forums I've concluded that every software has MAJOR issues with some part of their program.

I began my musical journey using Notator (Atari 1040ste) many years ago .. A system that had no hard drive at all , and ran the program and files off a 1mb floppy disk!!.. It was rock solid!!, and had many features programs of today lack. My current 3. GHz processor system still locks up all the time.!

I spent several years from my Notator to present trying to find the right software that works best for me… 3 years of testing, comparing, trouble shooting, and discarding … So much wasted time trying to find an Atari equivalent…

In the end I gave up and just settled on one .(Cubase SL) .. It had/has issues… but I'm tired of experimenting/ troubleshooting.

My advice would be to prioritize your needs in terms of feature/workflow importance and find a software to fit that area….

It'll be a long time before there's an ultimate program that does everything.

....just an idea

Hmmm....many people complain about the fact that Logic Pro doesn't look very pretty!

I have to admit that I am a bit puzzled by your request, a "black and white" sequencer will not necessarily make your life easier nor will it necessarily be less buggy.

If you are having issues with your current workhorse, I would suggest this (in no particular order):

• Make sure you have the latest updates of everything (sequencer, VI's plugins etc.)

• Make sure you are running the recommended OS

• Make sure your computer is up to spec (minimum is not enough).

• Read (or re-read) the manual...so many people simply toss the instructions away when they get a new piece of software.

• Read up on forums that deal with your specific set up, do searches and ask questions.

With so many happy users of Cubase and Cakewalk, I find it hard to believe that you shouldn't be able to find nirvana!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    I began my musical journey using Notator (Atari 1040ste) many years ago ..
    Yeah, I want a Windows version of SMPTETrack, damnit! Stefan, where are you now that we need you?

Ernie

This month's Electronic Musician has a lead article on inexpensive sequencers; I've use a few of them and was quite surprised at how far the cheaper products have come. Check it out, might give you some useful ideas.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    I began my musical journey using Notator (Atari 1040ste) many years ago .. A system that had no hard drive at all , and ran the program and files off a 1mb floppy disk!!.. It was rock solid!!, and had many features programs of today lack.
    I've still got my 1040ste with 4 megs of ram with Notator. What a great program and system! The best ever probably.

If you look at Logic - you also have to look at Macs.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhed
    I've always hated cubase, and always was a fan of cakewalk.. Well, now I really dont want either.. Can someone direct me to a no BS sequencer? The least pretty thing there, no bells or whistles, it can be black and white for all I care, I just would like to have something thats not a pain in the ~~~!! Cakewalk looks all pretty now, with pretty colors and a flashy look, and it's worthless so far.. I cannot get samplers to work with cakewalk anymore.. No I don't want to troubleshoot anymore, I just want suggestions that I can go try out, the first one that works gets my money... Thanks in advance
    What version are you using? SONAR is so much more capable than it ever was, so "worthless" is a very confusing label. What is it that is not working with samplers?

Check Power Tracks having now a piano roll which make it more attractive.

SergeD

Go Back to forum