• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase is now crashing when RMX plays

Share/Bookmark

Cubase is now crashing when RMX plays

I am running Cubase SX3.01 and Stylus RMX1.2 and they have both been fine ever since I installed them on my laptop. Yesterday though, I was in a studio for the first time and paying by the hour! and Cubase started crashing everytime an RMX part was due to play even though I was not hooked up to anything else or anything was different. I tried other songs but they were the same, as soon as RMX started to play - crash!

The only thing I did which may have upset things was when I booted up my laptop, I forgot to plug in my Indigo IO soundcard into the PC slot and Cubase was giving messages about a different soundcard being present and needing testing. I closed it down and put the Indigo back in and hopefully put everything back to normal.

The crash information specifically mentions the RMX DLL. Should I re-install RMX and if so will I loose all my RMX settings in Cubase? Can I just put a fresh copy of the DLL back in again from somewhere else? It really is the worse possible time to happen as I am just days away from finishing 3 years work on my new album and it is due to go off to the mastering house this week!

Any help would be gratefully received.

screentan

Re: Cubase is now crashing when RMX plays

There was a problem with version 1.0 of RMX when you use extremely large audio buffers. That size may have been turned up when you changed interfaces, so check to make sure it is less than 2048 or so.

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I checked the soundcard buffers and it was over 5000 but there was only an option to detect or test the buffers, not to physically change them as far as I could see. I re-detected and it changed to 4096 which may be too high according to your post. I'm not sure where I go from here. The Cubase error message specifically mentions stylusrmx.dll when the crash happens. Would it be worth replacing this file and if so is it easy to do?

Thanks again!

screentan

A buffer size of 4096 samples would render your computer pretty useless for making music, but it shouldn't cause a crash. Since it used to work fine, I would suspect some kind of corruption of either cubase files or rmx files. So, try another host to see if the problem is specific to cubase. If so, try reinstalling cubase. If not, try reinstalling rmx. If that doesn't work, contact tech support and they can try to help diagnose the problem.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by screentan

The only thing I did which may have upset things was when I booted up my laptop, I forgot to plug in my Indigo IO soundcard into the PC slot and Cubase was giving messages about a different soundcard being present and needing testing. I closed it down and put the Indigo back in and hopefully put everything back to normal.
    Hey screentan

To me it sounds like you/Cubase is using the wrong ASIO Driver.
    When Cubase don't find the Indigo IO soundcard, it shift to Multimedia Asio.
    So check your Asio driver in the Device Setup Dialog.

Hope this helps

All the best
    Bo

Go Back to forum