• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some good news (for me, at least)

Share/Bookmark

Some good news (for me, at least)

Some of you may remember a discussion about my piece The Starry Messenger back in May. Haydn had done a GPO version of it, which I posted on my website. Here's the thread in case you missed it.

I just learned that the piece has been selected to be performed at the Society of Composers regional conference on November 12!

It will be performed by the Butler University Symphony Orchestra at Clowes Hall in the evening (I assume 7:30, though they didn't say). It will be open to the public, so you're invited if you happen to be in the area.

Wish me luck!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Some good news (for me, at least)

congratulations!! hope it goes well and is even better than the sampled version.

Congrats Dan. NS members seem to be on a roll at the moment!

Frank

Congratulations, your work is rich, contrasted ,powerful and masterfully orchestrated. Nevertheless I think that the performers need more than the 2 or 3 usual rehearsals to do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Some of you may remember a discussion about my piece The Starry Messenger back in May.

I just learned that the piece has been selected to be performed at the Society of Composers regional conference on November 12!

It will be performed by the Butler University Symphony Orchestra...
    Good luck Dan and congratulations!

I missed out on this first time round but listening as I write. Very impressive!

Will there be a recorded version of 'the real thing'? You can do 'a Garritan' and have us guessing which is which for ages

... from the original posting ....
    Someday I may attempt my own MIDI realization of the piece. Only I plan to completely reorchestrate it to include synthesizers and electronic effects. I also think I might include choral samples during the more ethereal parts
    That would be interesting to hear - other than a technical exercise, I do sometimes wonder why there is such a tendency here to slavishly re-create the sound of an orchestra when there are so many other textures that could/can otherwise be incorporated. I am a big fan of Larry Fast and Tomita and W. Carlos (in either gender!) where new sounds are blended with the 'orchestral' paradigm.

It's not sacriledge - many have done it 'legitimately' before (Ravel with his orchestration of 'Pictures' by Mussorksky... John Williams in his sublime orchestrations of Debussy's 'Children's Corner' piano works.... adding new colours).

But I am loving this piece - I only wish I could hear it with a 'real' orchestra on full tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowsun
    It's not sacriledge - many have done it 'legitimately' before (Ravel with his orchestration of 'Pictures' by Mussorksky... John Williams in his sublime orchestrations of Debussy's 'Children's Corner' piano works.... adding new colours).
    I certainly agree. I've done this myself, transcribing pieces by other composers. But I've never transcribed one of my own pieces before (other than doing MIDI mock-ups), so it would be a new experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowsun
    But I am loving this piece - I only wish I could hear it with a 'real' orchestra on full tilt.
    Thanks very much. Hopefully one day you'll get your wish.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Dan - that's awesome!

One of my good friends from high school is in her fifth year playing violin at Butler. I'll have to ask her if she'll be performing your piece.

Good luck with it.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum