• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need advice re: best laptop/soundcard compatible with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Smile Need advice re: best laptop/soundcard compatible with GPO

I'm wanting to buy a laptop so I can take my GPO with me outside of my home, and was wondering if anyone has any good advice on the best brand, make, etc. to buy as well as whether or not there is a soundcard/system that works better with GPO on laptops? [I'm wanting to avoid crashes/popping etc. as much as possible on my new laptop. I presently use Windows XP (Home) on my home computer (non-Mac) so would prefer not to cross over to a Macintosh so my files will be compatible between the two computers]. I plan to run GPO through Cubase (VST) on my new laptop. I'm wanting a very dependable laptop with greased lightning speed (with as much RAM as the law will allow!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need advice re: best laptop/soundcard compatible with GPO

Right now I use an IBM Thinkpad T40. It has a 1.3 GHz Pentium M processor, and I added RAM and a bigger, faster hard drive. Works great.

I would definitely suggest to get a Pentium M processor (the Sonoma chipset) in any laptop to be used for audio. I have been doing non-stop tests with my laptop ever since I got GPO, and comparing my results to others on the net, I have come up with an algorithm that very closely relates a Pentium M processor to a Pentium 4 processor.

When using VST instruments (with no effects) the equation I found to translate Pentium M (Sonoma) to Pentium 4 is:

(1.5 * Pentium M Speed) + .4

This means my Pentium M 1.3 GHz is roughly the same as a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4! In the GPO benchmark posted last summer, I ran it on my machine, and every result came within 5 percent of Tom Hopkins Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz desktop. Right now, the fastest Pentium M is clocked at 2.26 GHz which, according to my equation, would be as fast as a 3.8 GHz Pentium 4!

Though if you are using effects, the Pentium M doesn't scale as well. The additive constant at the end of the equation (the .4) gets reduced to .2 or so. Still awesome for a mobile processor.

I hope this long winded response has persuaded you to consider a Pentium M laptop.

The most RAM you can put in a Pentium M laptop is 2GB. Do it.

Anyway...Brand. Well, I can't say enough about IBM (now Lenovo.) Great build quality and support. They are very expensive though. A cheaper option would be Dell. Or even cheaper yet would be Asus (they are a manufacturer that provides laptop chassis to pro audio websites like ADK.)

And finally soundcard. I use an Echo Indigo I/O, a PCMCIA card. It is very stable and works great with GPO (I think Gary has one with his laptop.) There are also Firewire Soundcards from M-Audio you can look at. But I would stay away from USB because they seem to draw the most CPU power. I don't know if it's a driver problem or what.

So, I hope you can make somthing out of this, and enjoy your new laptop.

-Brian

Thanks for the help guys!

Go checkout the Compaq R4000 series laptops. You can get one with an Athlon 64 (which will run today's 32 bit programs AND tomorrow's 64 bit programs when they get here) 4000+ which runs at 2.4 gighrtz and has a 1 mb L2 cache; then get the 128 mb video card, 2 gigs of ram, a dual layer DVD/CD burner, the bright view LCD display all for about $1468. You have to go to the "Customize" section to find all those options.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...computer_store

Tom

Go Back to forum