• Register
  • Help

Topic: total Newcomer to Kontakt 2. Need guidance please

Share/Bookmark

total Newcomer to Kontakt 2. Need guidance please

I recently purchased Kontakt 2 for various reasons. [I purchased Finale 2006].
    I already have Garritan Personal Orchestra, plus Cubase and Cakewalk Homestudio. I have mainly used GPO in conjunction with Sibelius 3 etc.
    Because I have never used Kontakt before - I'm a bit insecure where to start. Of course I have the manual - but I was in the belief that there were tutorials availiable on the Native Instrument site to get you started - I cannot seem to find them.
    I get the impression from the manual that you need to have some experience with samplers - I have none. Could someone out there please give me a starting point?

Re: total Newcomer to Kontakt 2. Need guidance please

Hey Steve,
    Enjoyed your comedic work and banjo playing. As for Kontakt, if all you want to do is play samples then its really about as simple as loading them up, setting the MIDI in channel and Audio out channels appropriately, setting up a MIDI track to the Kontakt VST (and appropriate MIDI channel). Drag and drop the nki file/patch from the browser on the left to the area on the right and set the channels. Since Kontakt can run more than one instrument per instance it has multiple channels for both MIDI and audio. You will have multiple MIDI tracks going to Kontakt so each one may need a seperate MIDI Channel, unless you want more than one track driving a single instrument. Also, since you may want to process those instruments seperately in your host they will need to be set to different audio outs (maybe not - then they can all go out the same audio channel)

This can all be done in the main upper instrument interface. It's probably much like the GPO player with a slightly different interface.

If you need to make and map your own instruments and samples, its a bit more complex, but you should dig into the manual and at least start with playing instruments first. Tutorials are here -> http://www.native-instruments.com/in...d=tutorials_us

Best,
    fizbin

Hello Fizbin.

Thank you for your reply - this sounds good advice. I'll get going and give this a go.

regards,

Steve M

Could someone out there please give me a starting point?
    There is a quickstart introduction to using Kontakt 2. Its a PDF file, called Welcome.pdf. Look under the START button in Programs, in your Kontakt 2 folder. Inside the Documentation folder is Welcome.pdf, the quick start intro. The Documentation folder It also has manuals in various language, called english.pdf, french.pdf, etc., and a script language manual.

Go Back to forum