• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is your soundcard/preamp/mixer equipment?

Share/Bookmark

What is your soundcard/preamp/mixer equipment?

Just wondering - my GPO sounds are chincy right now - most likely due to the fact that I am just learning GPO.

What are some of your setups? Mine setup:
    1. Sonar Producer 4
    2. M-Audiio Audiophile 24/96 card
    3. M-Audio AudioBuddy preamp
    4. Intel 2.8 with 1.5 gb ram

I would think I would be able to get decent sounds here but....

Some of you folks are putting out some great sounds and I know that a lot has to do with you being able to work GPO well. I want to rule out my equipment as being part of my problem. If some of you who are doing good stuff have similar equipment and getting much better sounds then I know I need to focus on GPO and Sonar and not the hardware side.

Plus I'm getting too much clipping and distortion in my Master and effects tracks. I just need some work here . A bit frustrating but slowly progressing.

I'm working through the Sonar tutorial and it is helping - The tutorial is teaching me how to use effects on individual tracks by creating more DXI's, etc.
    Just need time and patience.

Thanks and God bless

Re: What is your soundcard/preamp/mixer equipment?

Nothing wrong with your gear, you won't even be using the preamp w/ GPO. The M-Audio cards sound great. I rely on a Delta 1010lt on my stay-at-home GPO machine, and it's great. It's basically the 8 in/8 out version of what you have.

As far as the distortion and clipping is concerned, just watch your levels, and keep them out of the red. Digital zero is the maximum, we're not trying to purposely send levels into the red to get analog tape saturation here. With digital, if you go over 0, it will sound nasty. Watch your plugins, and make sure that you aren't also over-driving the levels (sending the plug-in meters into the red) within the plugin. Sometimes that's easy to miss, especially when you aren't actively viewing the plug-in interface.

Happy tracking-

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mistahamma
    1. Nothing wrong with your gear, you won't even be using the preamp w/ GPO. The M-Audio cards sound great.

2. As far as the distortion and clipping is concerned, just watch your levels, and keep them out of the red. Digital zero is the maximum, we're not trying to purposely send levels into the red to get analog tape saturation here. Jim
    Thanks Jim -
    1. I thought I might be ok - just wanted to rule this out so I couldn't "blame the equipment"!!! Bummer - it's me!

2. Here is the dumb question of the day - When I record audio the recording levels are controlled by my preamp but with GPO what controls the recording levels?

By the way Jim - is some of your work posted here?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVBunyan

Some of you folks are putting out some great sounds ....

My set up is more basic again - Finale 2005, GPO plus Ambience (mostly Ballroom 1), Audigy 2 ZS. And compared to some of the demos I've heard here, the sound has been lacking depth. This past week, I've been fiddling with the primitive equalisers that came with the soundcard and Nero CD burner and the results are much improved. Expanding the stereo and giving the bass a bit more umph has really enlarged the sound. So I guess a good mixing console is where I'm heading. Can anyone recommend a good quality mixer? Alternatively, how does one use the equaliser that is built into Ambience or is this nothing to do with it?

I have two systems and tons of gear, so there's lots of overlap. For the most part, these are my default setups:

Laptop System: Centrino, 2gb RAM, various USB Hard Drives

SOUNDCARD:
    Indigo I/O Card (for composing, playback, and simple stereo recording)
    Lexicon Omega Audio Interface (for multitracking)

PREAMPS:
    Lexicon Omega Preamps
    Behringer mixer preamps
    Audiobuddy (for simple field recording)

MIXER
    12-Channel Behringer Mixer

SONAR 4 Producer and others...

DESKTOP SYSTEM: (Athlon, 1.4ghz, 2gb RAM)

SOUND CARD:
    Delta 66

PREAMPS/MIXER:
    16 Channel Behringer Mixer

Sonar 4 Producer and others

chris.

Just wondering - my GPO sounds are chincy right now - most likely due to the fact that I am just learning GPO.
    Could be! As simple, and powerful in that simplicity as GPO is, there is a learning curve! Every project I do seems to turn out better than the previous one, and I've been using it for a while now.

What are some of your setups? Mine setup:
    1. Sonar Producer 4
    2. M-Audiio Audiophile 24/96 card
    3. M-Audio AudioBuddy preamp
    4. Intel 2.8 with 1.5 gb ram

I would think I would be able to get decent sounds here but....
    I hate to get picky (well, OK, I actually enjoy it<G>), but you left out what I consider to be the two most critical elements - your monitoring environment, and you controller.

I believe VERY strongly that the monitoring environment is the single most important factor that separates the boys from the men, so to speak. If you can not hear what you are doing you can't do!

Depending on how you create your performance, the controller can have nearly as big an impact. Of course if you are simply entering data in the PRV or score editor in Sonar then controllers are not an issue.

My setup, FWIW:
    GPO running on a home-made DAW along with Finale, Sonar, Sound Forge, Wavelab, Audition, SampleWrench, Awave, Translator, MidiQuest, etc. The computer uses an Athlon 2800+ on an Abit NF7-S rev 2 motherboard, with 1GB of memory, and a slew of disk space. The audio interface is a Frontier Design Dakota driving either an M-Audio Flying Cow (caveat - I designed the analog portions) or a Tango.

My main monitors are Yorkville YSM-1s driven by an ancient Crown D75, which is just barely up to the task. Previosly I had a studio, but we moved 18 months ago, and for a variety of reasons have not built a new studio just yet. My other monitors include Urei 809's driven by a Haffler DH220, and Polk Model 10's driven by an old Heathlit 40w/side tube amp.

Microphone preamplifiers include a Presonus MP2, Gaines MP-2, Groove Tunes MP, SPL Micman, half a dozen Melcor cards with various opamps, a pair of old Urei preamps out of a broadcast console, a pair of Tab V376s that still aren't in a case, and a pile of Audio Buddy's and DMPs from M-Audio.

I have three keyboard controllers that I use, a Roland Rhodes MK-80, which has a wonderful piano like action, but the worlds worst mod wheel, an Oberheim xK which has a great synth action, but again a lame mod wheel, and an Ensoniq EPS, which has a great mod wheel, and poly-aftertouch! In addition I use a Roland Pad-8, an SCI Drumtracks, and an IVL Pitchrider 7000 as alternate controllers.

(BTW, I am no longer associated with them, but I still think they make very nice gear, and I respect greatly their ability to weigh features, performance, and cost - even if it was a little frustrating as a designer<G>!)

Some of you folks are putting out some great sounds and I know that a lot has to do with you being able to work GPO well. I want to rule out my equipment as being part of my problem. If some of you who are doing good stuff have similar equipment and getting much better sounds then I know I need to focus on GPO and Sonar and not the hardware side.
    I'd be hard pressed to believe that the gear you are using won't serve you well... but I need to know more about your monitoring before I make any guarantees<G>!

Plus I'm getting too much clipping and distortion in my Master and effects tracks. I just need some work here
    Allow me to put on my crumudgeon's hat for a moment<G>... absent a real problem with your monitoring (see a pattern developing here?) there is no reason to have level problems in any environment. Do a search on the phrase "gain staging" and I think you'll discover that there are ways to tame this problem.

It's a problem shared by a large percentage of folks just getting started. When I got started there were no home studios, which was not necesarilly good by any stretch, nor do I want to return to those days...

BUT...

my entry into the world of recording was facilitated by lots of experienced folks who were more than happy to be mentors. At the time that was really the only choice!

My first experience was trading time soldering patchbays for studio time, I also did my fair share of sweeping, running for coffee, etc. But that allowed me to watch and learn as my mentors placed musicians and microphones in the studio, or spliced tape, or tracked or mixed or whatever. It was invaluable, and I think it is a real shame that the same opportunities are not available today!

Anyway, I'll step down from the soapbox and suggest that you get back to us with your monitoring environment and maybe we'll have more suggestions!

Bill

Thanks Jim -

2. Here is the dumb question of the day - When I record audio the recording levels are controlled by my preamp but with GPO what controls the recording levels?

By the way Jim - is some of your work posted here?

Thanks
    Not a dumb question. The recording level is affected by gain in a few stages:
    1) How "hot" each of the instrument outputs are in the Kontakt player, how loudly they are being played (mod wheel info), and how many of them are playing at once.
    2) If you look at Sonar's mixer view, the position of the fader for the channel that the Kontakt player resides in then controls the output of that instance of GPO.
    3) Any volume boosting that may come from plugins, i.e. compression.
    4) All of the faders then feed the Sonar "main outs." If the main outs are not hitting the red, you should not be getting clipping, and are ready to bounce it all down to a finished stereo WAV file.
    5) From that point, the volume stages are the same for when you are using a mic and the preamp, sound card ins/outs, etc.

Proper gain staging will allow you the best output level with the lowest noise level, without running the meters over digital zero.

As far as work that I have posted, the only thing currently up is my contribution to last years GPO Christmas CD, "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming (Jim Hammer)", which I think can still be downloaded.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    1. Could be! As simple, and powerful in that simplicity as GPO is, there is a learning curve!

2. I hate to get picky (well, OK, I actually enjoy it<G>), but you left out what I consider to be the two most critical elements - your monitoring environment, and you controller.

3. I'd be hard pressed to believe that the gear you are using won't serve you well... but I need to know more about your monitoring before I make any guarantees<G>!

4. Allow me to put on my crumudgeon's hat for a moment<G>... absent a real problem with your monitoring (see a pattern developing here?) there is no reason to have level problems in any environment. Do a search on the phrase "gain staging" and I think you'll discover that there are ways to tame this problem.

5. Anyway, I'll step down from the soapbox and suggest that you get back to us with your monitoring environment and maybe we'll have more suggestions!

Bill
    Thanks Bill for the great feedback!

1. I'm green as they come right now - learned more from the posts and studying today than the previous 2 weeks - time has been a factor here.

2. Get picky - be my guest
    Monitors - M-Audio Studiophile
    Controller - Fatar 66 Controller - about 9 years old

3. You are probably right - I can learn with what I have untill I get more into audio (acoustic guitar, son's flute) - then I'm thinking about Presonus preamps with LynxOne card

4. Thanks to what the gang has posted today I can now work on this issue better.

5. Please - stay on your soapbox

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by mistahamma
    Not a dumb question. The recording level is affected by gain in a few stages:

Proper gain staging will allow you the best output level with the lowest noise level, without running the meters over digital zero.

Jim
    Thanks Jim - your suggestions give me much to look into and I think I will be better off because of your info.

I'll let you know how I do - I have church tonight but tomorrow my daughter and I will crank up "Gary" again!

God bless

Plus I'm getting too much clipping and distortion in my Master and effects tracks.
    For whatever reason, MIDI Controller 7 is STILL very active in all versions of Sonar, running with GPO. It's necessary for ME to set the master volume CC7 @ 32 for all my work. This gives me the headroom to play with CC1 alot.

Stevemitchell

Go Back to forum