• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 3.12 released, Now please help me!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Giga 3.12 released, Now please help me!!!!

Nuff said.

Now, I need your help. My Asus p4C800 Mobo died on me lat weekend. So I went to frys and bought an ABIT AI7. Now I have nothing but problems. Whenever I play music through giga, the output suddenly gets supper distorted. Not analog distortion but digital. I am 100% sure its coming from somewhere in the computer, but where is the question. Here is my setup:

sampler:
    ABIT AI7
    3ghz P4
    3 Gigs Ram
    2 x 200 gig SATA Raid 0
    Giga 3.1.2 Orchestra
    MidiOverLan CP PE 3-4 Computers
    Hammerfall DIGI 9636
    RME AEB 4-O
    VSL Complete Pro Ed

Sequencer:
    Mac G4 450 DP
    Logic Pro 7.0.1
    1.5 gigs ram
    OS 10.4.2
    MidiOverLan CP PE 3-4 Computers

I have tried just about everything:

-Reinstalled Windows
    -Made sure my Nic, 9636, and Raid controller are on seperate IRQ's
    -Installed all the latest drivers
    -Adjusted every conceivable setting in the hammerfall control panel
    -tried different trs cables from AEB 4 to mixer
    -Updated the BIOS
    -Swapped the PCI cards to different slots

I don't know.... My hunch is either its the On-board raid of the mobo conflicting with the hammerfall, or the size of the hard drives somehow interfering. Maybe its this darn MOBO... Can anyone recomend a rock solid mobo for Giga?!?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Justin

Re: Giga 3.12 released, Now please help me!!!!

I forgot to mention. When I crank the buffer of the Hammerfall 4069 (93 ms) the distortion goes away, but there is significant drifting of tempo, note drop outs, ad little-barely audible-clicks in th audio. Which leads me to believe, its got to be those raid drives or the raid i/o itself. I don't know. I'm frazzled from spending a week on this problem, with deadlines looming and work pilling up....

I hope someone can help...

Try pulling a gig of ram out. GS3 can't see or use more than 2 GB unless something's changed recently. Try the soundcard in a different PCI slot. Are you using a RAID PCI card? Try swapping that out. If not who made the controller on the MOBO? The Intel ICH something is the good one...if you have a choice (four SATA connectors)try that one. Hope there's something here that helps. Cheers, jc

Sorry...I see you tried swapping PCI slots after I posted. If I were you I'd get one of those ASUS P4P 800E deluxe boards and return the ABIT to Fry's. I've never gotten a good MOBO out of those guys tho' I've tried several times. I'm at Canyon Computers in Hollywood if you need a hand. 323 465 1261 Cheers, jc

If you're up to getting another mobo, I'd also recommend the Asus P4C800E Deluxe.. I've built several machines on this board and have never had a hardware related issue.

Also, when you say that you reinstalled Windows.. did you reformat your system drive and reinstall? Or did you just run Windows setup again? If you didn't reformat I'd try that next, use the latest drivers for the mobo, soundcard, etc, and install the software from scratch.

Got a P4P800 Deluxe myself and it's great. But thinking of upgrading to a P5LD2 Deluxe... mainly to get ready for 3 gbs sata and dual core. Anyone tried this one for gs3 use yet? I hear generally that the 945/955 chipsets are fine with giga.

Howard

Whew! Thank you all for the wonderfull advice! Actually, the mother board that died on me was a Asus P4C800 Delux (I also use a P4P800 in my East West machine). Both boards are indeed great. In the 2 years since I have owned the P4C800, it has been very reliable. At least until that fateful week.

I went over to frys hoping they would sill have them, but aparently they are discontinued. So I settled for and ABIT AI7, which was the one I mentioned that caused all of the headache. After going through all of the troubleshooting possiblities known to man (literally!!!) I realzed that the board I had bought was a cheap budget board.

Turns out that the AI7 is built with an Intel Chipset 865, and has inferior RAID stability to the 875 chipset. I went back to frys and demanded (not really) the best 875 board they had. And it was an ABIT IC7-G. Despite the fact I was already completely unconvinced with the previous ABIT product I bought, I had no other choice. I am happy to report this board has proven to be rock solid!

So thank you all for your help! And I wholeheartedly throw my support in for the ABIT IC7-G as a solid Giga mobo.

The ASUS boards have a 3 year warranty. Had one of my P4C800 Deluxe boards fixed because a DVD drive I bought fried the hard drive controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    The ASUS boards have a 3 year warranty. Had one of my P4C800 Deluxe boards fixed because a DVD drive I bought fried the hard drive controller.
    NO!!! Well, I must turn redeem this warranty and have a nice backup mobo...

Go Back to forum