• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Interesting Dept: Facial Control for Guitars

Share/Bookmark

The Interesting Dept: Facial Control for Guitars

Have you ever controlled your electric guitar with your face?" asks David Merrill of MIT. "This work presents a system which uses the output from face-tracking and gesture recognition software to drive a parameterized guitar effects synthesizer in real-time."

Connecting a video camera to a face-tracking program can make for an interesting controller. The videos on this page explain it all.

Now those interesting facial contortions that guitarists often make can come to good use

Perhaps we can license this for an alternative to the mod wheel and legato pedal for GPO and JABB.

Re: The Interesting Dept: Facial Control for Guitars

Hey, if they had finger-tracking software as well, you could put out "Garritan Air Guitar" (GAG).
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

I just wonder, who's sitting around thinking of these things... But great post...

Reminds me of an old Bloom County cartoon where Steve Dallas was auditioning people for Bill the Cat's Deathtongue / Billy and the Boingers band. The requirements were the ability to play an instrument and "grimace musically".
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Reminds me of an old Bloom County cartoon where Steve Dallas was auditioning people for Bill the Cat's Deathtongue / Billy and the Boingers band. The requirements were the ability to play an instrument and "grimace musically".
    I was thinking the same thing! Man, I miss Bloom County. Still get "Opus" once a week, but it ain't enough...
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey
    Hey, if they had finger-tracking software as well, you could put out "Garritan Air Guitar" (GAG).
    LOL That's great!!!

Face controllers could be an alternative to the mod wheel...I guess. Both my aunt and I are known as the "rubberfaces" of the family. We can make just about any face! It's funny sometimes with my aunt. She's really good!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    I was thinking the same thing! Man, I miss Bloom County. Still get "Opus" once a week, but it ain't enough...
    Me, too! There's been no one anywhere near on par with the "big 3" (Breathed, Watterson, Larson) since the 80s.

Opus got bumped from the top half of the front page to a different location last weekend by reruns of Calvin and Hobbes. However, even if it's not new material, Calvin is better than most of what's out there these days. Now if we could only get Larson back...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Me, too! There's been no one anywhere near on par with the "big 3" (Breathed, Watterson, Larson) since the 80s.

Opus got bumped from the top half of the front page to a different location last weekend by reruns of Calvin and Hobbes. However, even if it's not new material, Calvin is better than most of what's out there these days. Now if we could only get Larson back...
    All you get now are bad imitators of the big 3

Go Back to forum