• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Egmont

Share/Bookmark

Egmont

What's an Egmont? He was a 16th century Flemish statesman appointed Governer of Flanders by the occupying Spanish. Egmont, upset with the condition of his countrymen, demanded the Spanish King grant them their freedom. He was executed for his compassion. Goethe wrote a play on the subject and Beethoven in turn wrote incidental music for the play. Here is Beethoven's Overture to Egmont.
    This is my first file completed with Overture 4. Overture 4 is a fantastic program with amazing capabilities. I would not have attempted this piece otherwise.
    It's a whopper - 7.4 Mb - 7 min 46 sec.
    Last edited by valhalx; 09-13-2005 at 09:16 AM. Reason: mistake
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: Egmont

In all the years of studying music and teaching it, I never new the history to the "Egmont Overture". It makes perfect sense after hearing it in this new context. Thanks for the history lesson.

Nice rendition. If I efer make money at what I'm trying to write, Overture 4 is definitely something I will need for my arsenal.

Great JOB!!

Thanks,

RichR

WOW Valhalx!

Nice!! This is making me soooooo jealous of you PC users! We Mac users have to wait to use Overture 4!

I have a question though - mind you, i am on little laptop speakers, but in the beginning, around 1:00 with the underlying strings, are you using the short bow samples? If you aren't, you might want to. it sounds like you are gettting the dreaded "Machine gun" effect. It isn't that bad, but it is noticeable to me. Otherwise - Kudos! This is a great example of what Overture can do!

How long did this take to do? Did you program everything yourself? or did you start with a MIDI File?

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thumbs up Re: Egmont

Man! Realistic of what!! Nice work rendering this Overture using Overture 4! Sounds so dang natural! The bowing sounds to natural nothing synthy or keyboardish about it!
    The woodwinds are perfect!
    Very, very nice!!!
    Styxx

valhalx, you performed many things very well and some things were not to par. However, I was thinking if it would be ok to show us the Overture file, as a demostration of how to do the great things so well?

Will comment further later today. Great job btw.!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    In all the years of studying music and teaching it, I never new the history to the "Egmont Overture". It makes perfect sense after hearing it in this new context. Thanks for the history lesson.

Nice rendition. If I efer make money at what I'm trying to write, Overture 4 is definitely something I will need for my arsenal.

Great JOB!!

Thanks,

RichR
    Rich, Thanks. You're going love Overture 4.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

This is great Bill. I love this piece. I remember once perfoming this piece in a windband arrangement, so it brought back some memories. It's a lovely rendering.

I have to agree with Jerry, the repeated semiquavers still become noticable, although not too distracting from the beauty of the piece. I wish there was a way to make that problem disappear .... Tom???

I'm on my way to oder Ove4 now, I'm pretty excited. I tried the demo and it works like a dream with GPO. Just a bit nervous about changing from my good old Sibelius......

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    I have a question though - mind you, i am on little laptop speakers, but in the beginning, around 1:00 with the underlying strings, are you using the short bow samples? If you aren't, you might want to. it sounds like you are gettting the dreaded "Machine gun" effect. It isn't that bad, but it is noticeable to me. Otherwise - Kudos! This is a great example of what Overture can do!
    How long did this take to do? Did you program everything yourself? or did you start with a MIDI File?
    As to whether the strings are convincing is up to the listener. I was satisfied with that passage but if the consensus is thumbs down I'll rework it. I started this about 2 days after Overture 4 came out and entered it all manually.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Man! Realistic of what!! Nice work rendering this Overture using Overture 4! Sounds so dang natural! The bowing sounds to natural nothing synthy or keyboardish about it!
    The woodwinds are perfect!
    Very, very nice!!!
    Thanks, for the thumbs up Styxx. Bowing is always an issue and I'm getting mixed revues on this one. Maybe I'm getting closer.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    valhalx, you performed many things very well and some things were not to par. However, I was thinking if it would be ok to show us the Overture file, as a demostration of how to do the great things so well?

Will comment further later today. Great job btw.!
    Thanks for the comment and here is the Overture 4 file. If you have any questions about my insane methods just ask.

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast