• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ever so slightly off-topic - scoring tools

Share/Bookmark

ever so slightly off-topic - scoring tools

I suppose I could have done this privately, or even on another forum, but my guess is that I am not the only one who is quite married to his scoring tools, so for those who have no desire to try a new scoring tool I thought I'd offer my words of warning<G>...

Scoring software... since the days of the Amiga and Dr. T's Copyist I've been looking for a tool that let me generate both beautiful paper output, and pleasing aural output.

And I'm not there yet!!!

But it seems that each year the tools do get better, and certainly GPO is a big part of the equation.

About five years ago I spent a great deal of time working with the demos from Final, Sibelius, and a couple of others, but it was clear that only Finale and Sibelius were contenders. So I spent even more time with them, and in the end, I discovered that both
    - would provide pretty darned good printed scores and parts
    - a sequencer was still necessary to get acceptable audio
    - the learning curves were equally steep
    - the work-flow was very different

About that time I started working part time at the local high school, and Finale offered an educators discount, and yes, that was the key to my decision. All else being equal, price did have an impact.

Since then I've been a very happy Finale customer. And I was really excited about Finale 2006 and a less cumbersome integration with GPO. I had not yet upgraded for financial reasons, but it was next on the list after JABB.

Then I downloaded the Overture4 demo...

Now Overture was one of the tools I evaluated way back when (it was marketed by Cakewalk at the time, I think), but it was not as flexible as the other two, and I ended up cutting it from the list. And, when I bought GPO I did install Overture 3LE, and I was quite pleased to see that it had improved quite a bit. But there was no compelling reason to change, so I continued to use Finale2005.

I just spent a couple of hours using the Overture4 demo, and I have to say, my decision making process just got complicated! I am really impressed with how easy it is to use, and it does a marvelous job of importing MIDI files, and the integration with GPO, or other VST instruments is tops!

Inertia is an issue, I've been using Finale for almost five years, and it is comfortable. I know how to do the things I need to do, and I know how to find out how to do new things that I need to do.

Part extraction is also a little easier in Finale, but from my initial time with Overture, that's about the biggest missing feature, and I suspect I'll figure it out shortly.

Then there is the old financial thing, but the difference is so small that I'm not sure it is important.

No, as it turns out I now need to wait for the demo version of Finale2006 to be made available so I can decide. UGH!

To the folks who created Overture4 I tip my hat. It is remarkable, very easy to use at first blush, clearly loaded with lots of other features I need to explore, and the integration with GPO... well!

This was supposed to be a no-brainer, and you have made it a very difficult decision... bravo!

Bill

Re: ever so slightly off-topic - scoring tools

The demo version of Overture 4 doesn't seem to allow extraction parts, which means it must be available in the full version.

I will say, after trying out the demo version of Overture 4, I am about to cry with happiness!! The trills . . . the hairpin editing . . . the glisses! I'm in heaven!

Now I just need $$$ . . . this whole "college" thing I'm trying is costing too much!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Just imagine having harp gliss playback that responds to your last pedal settings.

BTW - yes, the full version does have part extraction although I haven't yet had a reason to try it out.

Sorry to go off topic, but I'm trying to get the Overture 4 demo to work with GPO . . . I'm guessing I have to load in some kind of VST plugin or change the VST folder or something? I can't seem to get it . . .

Edit: it probably has to do with the fact that Overture doesn't seem to be scanning any dll's when I load it up. I'll have to ask about it on the Geniesoft forums when they come back up.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Sorry to go off topic, but I'm trying to get the Overture 4 demo to work with GPO . . . I'm guessing I have to load in some kind of VST plugin or change the VST folder or something? I can't seem to get it . . .

Edit: it probably has to do with the fact that Overture doesn't seem to be scanning any dll's when I load it up. I'll have to ask about it on the Geniesoft forums when they come back up.
    Check the VST tab, select location, which will be wherever you have the GPO VST. You may have to re-load the program for it to take effect. You will need to go to the tracks window and then select GPO as needed. Works quite well, but I don't think I am going to switch from Sonar.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin

Sean,

First thing you have to do is "Select Folder" to point to your VSTs (VST menu, I think...make sure it points to the folder where the GPO VST dll is located), then load GPO into the "Instrument Rack". Double-click on GPO in the Instrument Rack to open the Kontakt player and load some instruments.

After that, any time you reopen the .ove file, the selected GPO instruments load right up...it's GREAT!

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Wish I had known this post was here earlier.

Yes, Sean, you'll need to set your VST plugin folder. The program scans for likely places, and if it doesn't find them, it defaults to a location on your hard drive.

So, in Overture, click on

VST>Set Folder

Then find the location of your VST plugins in the window that appears. Make sure and actually 'enter' the VST folder before clicking okay. Simply highlighting it won't do.

And if you do all this, but can't see the Ambience plugin, this is because it is installed in a different location most likely. So all you need to do is go to:

C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\Studio\VSTPlugins and copy the Ambience .dll file from there to wherever you other VST plugins are stored.

Hope that all helps and doesn't confuse you more.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Check the VST tab, select location, which will be wherever you have the GPO VST. You may have to re-load the program for it to take effect. You will need to go to the tracks window and then select GPO as needed. Works quite well, but I don't think I am going to switch from Sonar.

Richard
    Actually, I find it easier to right click on the track, click on Tracks Properties, set my output device and choose the channel/voice and GPO instrument from there. This is more conductive to my work flow since I usually work a track at a time. For bulk changes, the Tracks Window is good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Wish I had known this post was here earlier.
    JB,

Cut yourself some slack, dude! You responded within about an hour and a half to an off topic post hidden inside the General Discussion forum.

Customer Service doesn't get any better than this!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Thanks for your help everyone! I got it to work. I must be losing my computer savviness, perhaps I shouldn't pursue that computer science major after all . . . I'll definitely have some fun playing around with the demo for the next 15 days! My grades will probably go down!

Thanks again! Also thanks for extending the special offer. Now I just need to convince my parents on getting me an early Christmas present . . . "But Mom and Dad, if you buy it now, it will be cheaper!" Hope it works.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Go Back to forum