• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gig not responding to midi ports

Share/Bookmark

Gig not responding to midi ports

I have Giga 3 on a machine which is frankly a bit slow for it, but generally works fine. I have a Lalya24 with one midi port, s MOTO micro express that I uses 4 midi ports, and midiOverLAN with 8 ports defined for this machine. I have been working with the MoL ports for a few months, no problem.

But a few days ago, suddenly Giga will no longer respond to either the MoL ports or the MOTU ports, although the Layla24 port works fine. MoL shows it IS receiving the midi signal from the sequencer (DP on a Mac,) it just isn't being transmitted to Giga.

Any ideas where to look? As I said, I'm not totally out of business, as I can select the Layla24 port, but something is definitely wrong...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: Gig not responding to midi ports

Nobody experienced this, or have any ideas why?
    Dasher
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I have Giga 3 on a machine which is frankly a bit slow for it, but generally works fine. I have a Lalya24 with one midi port, s MOTO micro express that I uses 4 midi ports, and midiOverLAN with 8 ports defined for this machine. I have been working with the MoL ports for a few months, no problem.

But a few days ago, suddenly Giga will no longer respond to either the MoL ports or the MOTU ports, although the Layla24 port works fine. MoL shows it IS receiving the midi signal from the sequencer (DP on a Mac,) it just isn't being transmitted to Giga.

Any ideas where to look? As I said, I'm not totally out of business, as I can select the Layla24 port, but something is definitely wrong...
    I don't use MOL, but it seems to me that you need to check that GS is receiving MIDI. I would check that the inputs to GS haven't somehow changed (I think that this is done in settings, but I can't quite remember). Does GS play when you click the little keyboard?

D

Thanks for responding, Daryl. The computer is receiving midi (the MoL monitor responds correctly. If I use the Layla interface, it works. But my MoL link and my MOTU Parallel port (PC Flyer A and B is how Giga sees the micro express) receive midi (the monitor lights respond appropriately) but do not (or can not) pass it to Giga. A few weeks ago, all the ports were working. Now the setup has not changed (except for switching midi ports, of course...) but nobody's home except Layla. Where's Eric Clapton when you need him?
    Dasher
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Thanks for responding, Daryl. The computer is receiving midi (the MoL monitor responds correctly. If I use the Layla interface, it works. But my MoL link and my MOTU Parallel port (PC Flyer A and B is how Giga sees the micro express) receive midi (the monitor lights respond appropriately) but do not (or can not) pass it to Giga. A few weeks ago, all the ports were working. Now the setup has not changed (except for switching midi ports, of course...) but nobody's home except Layla. Where's Eric Clapton when you need him?
    Did you check that GS is set to the correct MIDI inputs? Can you get sound when you click the GS keyboard?

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Did you check that GS is set to the correct MIDI inputs? Can you get sound when you click the GS keyboard?
    Yes, everything works fine within the app. As I said, I have 11 midi ports available - one Layla24, which is the only one currently working, 2 ports from a MOTU Microexpress, and a set of 8 MoL ports. ALl ports are visible and may be selected in the setup, and before they stopped, they all worked perfectly. With no change to the system, one day Giga3 just stopped connecting to the midi streams from MoL and MOTU. The notes all play from the mouse keyboard, and through the :aya I/F, but while MoL's monitor shows it is receiving midi, it's nopt gett8ing through to Giga.

I'd re-install, but I'm near the end of a major album project and just want to finish that up first (also, probably buy another Giga PC, this one doesn't have the horses (1.8G P4, the minimum config recommended, which means it's on the edge of too slow. But it was working for months, so there's no reason for the change that I can determine)
    Dasher
    -------

I'd be waiting a bit at startup... When I had MOL and a midisport going it used to take my machine a few minutes after the splashscreen to totally load all the drivers, I was totally impatient and had a similar experience. Short of that, might have to uninstall/reinstall the midi stuff. I do believe that all of us are nervous each time we reboot, crossing our fingers that everything will work.
    Later
    The BriGuy

Go Back to forum