• Register
  • Help

Topic: Would Apple World pack be a good cheap alternative to RA/Ethno world 3?

Share/Bookmark

Would Apple World pack be a good cheap alternative to RA/Ethno world 3?

Seems to hold loads of samples, although mainly loops.

But still: "342 instruments, including: 17 Brazilian Drums, 31 Flamenco instruments, 65 Percussion FX instruments, 67 Percussion instruments, 22 Percussion Kits, 53 Pure Tabla instruments, 52 World instruments, and 35 World Vocals instruments".

Can't be all bad.....or should I just save up for Ethno world 3 or RA?
    with soundsonline sales it can be had for $127 including shipping which is certainly a lot cheaper than the above titles....

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=897

So, are the instruments any good? I could always consider the loops to be a bonus.

Re: Would Apple World pack be a good cheap alternative to RA/Ethno world 3?

bit off topic but would these work on a PC?

well under available version is states "aiff" which is a format most samplers read I believe. Chicken systems' Free Translator can translate AIFF AFAIK. But I'm not sure about the "apple loops". Good point.

You might look to some of the older sample libraries, too, which you may be able to find used. Things like Silk Road, Heart of Asia, Deepest India, and some of the ProSamples volumes are all great places to start.

Ethno World 3 does look quite good, but I can tell you in all honesty that after only a few days with RA, I have never found another sample library that comes close in versatility and quality. Sure there are some other instruments I'd love for it to have, but nothing else is this expansive (and expensive! ) and diverse.

So if you have the means, I highly recommend saving your dollars for RA.

Indicator: I'd lurve to have RA, but RA is no good if I have to sell my PC first

You mention some libraries. World pack contains most if not all (most I presume) of following libraries:
    Afrolatin Slam,Celtic , Deepest India, Ethnic Volume 1 and 2, Flamenco Sounds, Middle Eastern Sounds, Pure Brazilian Beats, Pure Tabla, Tribal Elements, Vindaloops...
    for the price of 2 of them. Which Pro samples are good? They seem to have very little content.

Sharmy: long time no see Let us know about the Jam packs.

I have both as well as other Ethno instrument packages. I still lust for Ra, however -- but my Bank says I have to pay for things like food and electricity before I get it.

First, you must realize that one can never have enough Digireedoo. Second, Bagpipes do not come in only one flavor. Third, Dobros, Guitars, Bazouki, Lute and Balalaika are a lot different in sound -- AND EACH has its own articulations beyond a pluck.

The World pack is good for Dig if you can use loops -- and do some sound shifting to weld the loops together.

Almost EVERY one I have used is too heavy in disjointed rythm loops for percussion, EXCEPT the SWAR Plug. Its library has complete rythm pattern sets for Indian instruments, which as midi lines can be overlayed by various instruments from the plug-in.

I guess the real question is how many playable samples/instruments do you actually get vs. loops. I'm far more interested in the former than the latter - in fact I rarely use loops in my compositions, which is why I tend to stay away from the Jam packs...

For anyone that owns this product, how much of this content (especially the Indian stuff from deepest india) is AIFF and can be converted for PC. I do not have a MAC.

Cheers,

Go Back to forum