• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to route Sonar VSTs through GigaPulse?

Share/Bookmark

How to route Sonar VSTs through GigaPulse?

Is there some way I can route my VSTs/DXis (Stormdrum, Vapor, etc) through GigaPulse in GS3? If so, how is this done? (please, explain in simple terms..)
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: How to route Sonar VSTs through GigaPulse?

Set the output of the audio track you VST is loaded on to whichever output is routed in you hardware control panel to the input that you select from the dropdown list at the top of the input channel in gigastudio. Add G-Pulse to that channel, and away you go. If you're like me, and using a card with no SPDIF, then you may need to cable your out to your in physically. You'll also need to set the time+/- in the midi track in order to compensate for the latency introduced by using GSIFII audio.

Good Luck,
    Belbin

I guess I'm not totally clear on this... is this a physical routing via cable? Couldn't I do this via just software?

Maybe if someone could post a step-by-step how-to.. for example, how to pipe Atmosphere through GigaPulse.. I'd REALLY appreciate it.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

This requires physical routing, as well as a GSIF-2 sound card. Giga doesn't have Virtual audio inputs, and only see your sound cards physical inputs.

I seem to remember a friend telling me that I could route Giga effects to their own audio track which I could then monitor in a sequencer using FX sends.

It worked something like this hypothetically:

Let's say you want to take a track with a sample on it (violin, for the sake of explanation), and use the GP convolution on that instrument on other instruments which are not in Gigastudio. What you need to do is to isolate the reverb effect on its own channel which you can then record to an audio track into Sonar. Then, you can monitor the level of GP within Sonar using the mixer faders in Sonar's console view.

So, what you want to do is take the verb from a full track and send it to a blank track in Giga. Then, when you record both into Sonar onto seperate tracks, you can control the amount of verb. (move the volume fader to zero and you have a completely dry violin, move it up all the way, and you have a completely wet violin, etc)

To do this, you need two channels in Giga. One for the violin and one for the verb.

Load up the sample into the violin channel and go to the mixer. In the Inputs tab, click on INS like you would normally to insert Gigapulse. Except we're not going to insert Gigapulse here. Instead, we want to look at the AUX SENDS at the bottom of the channel. You use these sends to send out the sample on the channel somewhere else. In this case, we want to send the violin sample out to a middle man to apply the verb to it.

In the Aux Sends, click on the number 1 and turn the dial all the way up so it's green. Now we have all of the violin sample being sent out to Aux Bus 1.

Next, click on the Aux Returns tab at the bottom of the main giga window. Here you see the 8 aux busses which correspond to the 8 available aux sends in the Input window. In the first aux bus, insert your gigapulse. So, now we're sending all of the violin through the bus and tacking GP onto it.

Next, go to your blank effects giga channel in Inputs and do the same as before (click the first AUX SEND on and turn up the dial). This links the blank channel to the reverb on the first AUX RETURN like the violin. So now, because it's communicating with an Aux Bus via Aux Return 1, a blank channel now has the same verb as one with the sample in it.

Next, record the two tracks into two seperate audio tracks. (for testing purposes, just play some BS notes into the violin to make sure the verb is applied. Then record those notes along with the 2nd channel to audio.

The way to test to see if this whole thing works is to now mute the gigastudio stuff and then mess with the faders of the audio channels in sonar. If it worked, when you move the 2nd channel's volume up and down, you should hear the verb growing and diminishing. Now, since they're seperate, just delete the violin stuff and insert your Atmosphere track into sonar. The audio verb track should apply to this in exactly the same way as it did the violin.

Now, granted, I don't know if this will work, but it seems logical to me in any case...

If anybody sees any errors I made, or if the whole idea is completely wrong, by all means, let me know.

Also, if I remember right, you're using the regular audio i/o in the audiophile 2496 card. What you need for this to work is a multi-channel card to seperate the sample from the FX. I know that card has spdif on it, so you could create a hardwired spdif loop, plug the in to the out so that you can use the audio i/o as one channel and the spdif as another when recording into Sonar. One thing to be careful of that I've been told is that Giga treats physical i/o's a little weird, so you might encounter some latency issues. Not sure, never done it....

Just so you know, apparently, Gigapulse can be purchased as a VST plugin itself: http://www.tascam.com/Products/GigaPulse.html This might be your easiest solution....

S.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Can't you just mix down an audio file for each instrument's part and map it out to keys in gigastudio like a drag-n-drop wav instrument and point that new instrument to gigapulse and then set giga to record and hold down those keys?

I'm not sure exactly how gigapulse works, I haven't played with it but this seems like a fairly simple solution, however it poses a great nusence when mixing.

-Chris

Bill....Giga can see virtual audio ins. I use two delta cards, and whichever one is selected will show 6 ins. The cards both have 4 physical ins, and the 2 extra are for "monitor mixer", where the source is any audio I specify. I send the VSTi to outs 3/4. I monitor through outs 1/2. I turn up out/3/4 in the monitor mixer, and select inputs 5/6 (What giga calls monitor mixer) as the giga channel's source. Then giga "listens" to any audio playing back that is routed to outs enabled in the MM. Y'Dig?

I'm sure, the audio cards I use being somewhat entry level, that most any card should be able to do this.

Chris: Yes, you could mixdown, and play the mixes in the sampler. It works. But you can't scroll, search fwd/bkwd. That becomes a thorn in yer side.

Belbin
    Last edited by belbin; 10-18-2005 at 11:00 PM. Reason: named the wrong name

Heh. I just realized that I've utterly contradicted my earlier post to this thread.

So I've made somer discoveries since then! Doesn't make me a liar.

Did you ever get it working, Sam?

Belbin

Go Back to forum