• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pedals Anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Pedals Anyone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All: I posted this in the "technical" area, but no one responded. Either the right folks aren't going there, or no one knows about the SusDp pedal.

I am going to use the Celesta in my Christmas Carol and in the "controls" column of the instrument (original GPO version), it specifies:

vel (vol), SusDp, and Sus(sus). I have used the Sus(sus) pedal when using the piano, but have never used the SusDp pedal. In fact, I don't even know what it does.....

Can someone give me an understanding of SusDp pedal and how it is used? And, also, is the Celesta a STEREO instrument since it is listed with the keyboard and Harp instruments?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Pedals Anyone?

On a grand piano, the sostenuto pedal acts similarly to the sustain pedal, but it only holds out notes that are held down when the pedal is depressed; subsequently played notes are not held. On many upright pianos, it acts as a sustain pedal for bass notes (the C below Middle C and lower, if I remember correctly) but leaves all higher notes untouched.

In GPO, if the player is set to "normal sustain/sustenuto operation", it acts like a grand piano's sostenuto pedal; if set to "no sustain/sustenuto operation, but MIDI controller", it apparently does nothing.

You can turn on sostenuto (assuming normal operation is selected) by sending CC66 with a value of 127, and turn it off with CC66=0.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Thank you Jeff. That helps a lot.

Now, why is it a choice with an instruments like the Celesta? I thought normal piano pedalling (in GPO) would be enough to sustain the Celesta notes for a bit longer.

And, do you know if the Celesta is a STEREO instrument since it is grouped with the keyboards and harps?

Thanks again,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

The "SusDp" designation in the GPO manual has nothing to do with the sostenuto pedal. It refers to instruments with the sustain pedal function reversed (sustain pedal up=full decay of each note; sustain pedal down=damped notes.) The harp is a good example. The normal, default playing technique lets the strings ring fully (sustain pedal up) but gives the choice of hand damping when the sustain pedal is depressed. "SusDp" is an abbreviation for "SustainDamped."

The celesta was in this category when the GPO library was introduced. This changed with the updates. The celesta now functions with standard sustain pedal function (pedal up=damped; pedal down=sustain.) The "SusDp" designation in the manual no longer applies to this instrument.

The celesta is a stereo instrument placed in position on the stereo stage (to the right rear.)

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the correction. Out of curiosity, why is it that the sostenuto pedal does work on some instruments but is not listed in their "Controls" section in the manual's "Directory of Instruments", and CC66 isn't listed in the MIDI implementation chart in the upgrade documentation?
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The "SusDp" designation in the GPO manual has nothing to do with the sostenuto pedal. It refers to instruments with the sustain pedal function reversed (sustain pedal up=full decay of each note; sustain pedal down=damped notes.) The harp is a good example. The normal, default playing technique lets the strings ring fully (sustain pedal up) but gives the choice of hand damping when the sustain pedal is depressed. "SusDp" is an abbreviation for "SustainDamped."

The celesta was in this category when the GPO library was introduced. This changed with the updates. The celesta now functions with standard sustain pedal function (pedal up=damped; pedal down=sustain.) The "SusDp" designation in the manual no longer applies to this instrument.

The celesta is a stereo instrument placed in position on the stereo stage (to the right rear.)

Tom
    Thank you Tom. Case closed as far as I'm concerned and I will check the latest documentation in the future for updated information.

Jack

Go Back to forum