• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    These are the first electronica libs to enter my collection, and I'm totally blown away by the amount of sounds these things have! So, my question is (to which there probably is no real answer), how the heck do I find the sound I'm looking for? With orchestral, it's just as easy as, "Gee, I want a staccato bassoon." With these.. it would've been nice to classify them by their quality (warm, biting, smooth, pulsating, steady tones, etc.). I have to use these libs in a project, but I don't have the time to really go through each and every one of these. Any suggestions?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

  2. #2

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    Dunno, but how does Vapor strike you? Mine is on the way hopefully. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get it at 65 bucks.

  3. #3

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    I have the same questions. I couldnt pass it up at 65 either and i've really only toyed with it and atmosphere as well, It seems like you just have to get familiar with these sounds. At least atmosphere has a general set of descriptions, but vapour sees to be just a set of named patches.

    But the vapor 65 buck price was quite something. Excellent value there. Will be fun seeing whats in these.

    steve

  4. #4

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    I haven't played with Vapor as much as I have Atmosphere. Atmosphere is incredible. Vapor is pretty cool, it has some nice leads. Once I route Vapor through GigaPulse, then the fun begins.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

  5. #5

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    These are the first electronica libs to enter my collection, and I'm totally blown away by the amount of sounds these things have! So, my question is (to which there probably is no real answer), how the heck do I find the sound I'm looking for? With orchestral, it's just as easy as, "Gee, I want a staccato bassoon." With these.. it would've been nice to classify them by their quality (warm, biting, smooth, pulsating, steady tones, etc.). I have to use these libs in a project, but I don't have the time to really go through each and every one of these. Any suggestions?
    I put about 2 full workdays total into going through each patch and multi in Vapor looking for "favorites" and categorizing them. It's worth it to me to have 200 possibilities instead of 5,000... I find that "endless possibilities" is, ironically, very limiting, while a small palette actually is freeing to my creativity. I hate losing "the vibe" while going through an untouched patch library... I just won't end up doing it. I'll tweak something on the JV2080 and just go for it instead.

    Vapor fulfills about 20% of my needs in the those kind of synth textures. I don't do a lot of suspense or action scoring... I concentrate more on dramatic work. It's definitely a fine collection and will be useful to me.

  6. #6

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    You pretty much have to put in the time to go through and organize the sounds according to your needs as dtobocman said. There's really not a shortcut. Pick out the ones you like and organize them in a way that makes sense to you. I've spent the past few months organizing all my sounds and it's really paying off big time. It was a huge project, but well worth it.

    You can eventually get to a way of thinking about the sounds that is similar to how you think about orchestration but it's a long time coming. There are so many more possibilities and variety of timbre available. With the orchestra, the basic articulations are actually pretty limited compared to electronic sounds. It's the subtlety of selection, blending, mixing, etc of a well defined set of basic sounds that makes orchestration the art that it is.

    Regards,
    Matthew

  7. #7

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    Well, my point with comparing it with orchestral sounds is simply that I know what the classical instruments sound like. I know what combinations of instruments will sound like, whereas a name like "Steel Winds" tells me nothing. "Flute" tells me "cool, airy." Bassoon tells me "warm, woody." Know what I mean?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

  8. #8

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Well, my point with comparing it with orchestral sounds is simply that I know what the classical instruments sound like. I know what combinations of instruments will sound like, whereas a name like "Steel Winds" tells me nothing. "Flute" tells me "cool, airy." Bassoon tells me "warm, woody." Know what I mean?
    Right. I simply meant that it's possible to organize the electronic sounds into categories that will tell you something and you will know what it sounds like. It takes a lot of time and effort to get there but it is possible. It really helps productivity also once you get there. You can think of a certain type of sounds and you'll have maybe 10-15 options to go through to find the one you want to use. The method of thinking this way is sort of similar to orchestral thinking, you just have to do the organizing yourself. That's what I was trying to say...

    Regards,
    Matthew

  9. #9

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    Matt,

    Gotcha. Makes sense. I'm sure I can immediately discard dozens of sounds that I just don't like and probably would never use.

    How do you organize them exactly? Just taking down notes in, say, a text document or spreadsheet?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

  10. #10

    Re: Bought Atmosphere & Vapor... overwhelmed!

    Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Matt,

    Gotcha. Makes sense. I'm sure I can immediately discard dozens of sounds that I just don't like and probably would never use.

    How do you organize them exactly? Just taking down notes in, say, a text document or spreadsheet?
    I discarded thousands of sounds in the Vapor library... "Don't need it"... "Not a fan"... was the criteria.

    I just made folders as a went along. Once in a while I had to combine folders on the desktop and re-start Vapor to see the new folder contents... I'd suggest just starting. After 15 minutes you'll have some categories that make sense. Start pretty specific... "Pads, warm" "Pads, cold" "Pads, grand" "Pads, thin" "Pads, rhythmic" "Drones" "Drones, rhythmic"

    You'll come up with your own categories... You have to find your own way.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •